Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

I have had direct experience of this - I was involved in local footy club and we were asking for a footy ground on Royal Park (which is chronically under utilised and has no native vegetation left - other than stuff that has been replanted) - the Parkville Resident's Association treated it as if we were proposing a toxic fuel dump there. I went to a town hall and was literally booed when I said that an oval is mixed use because people don't play footy or cricket all the time. Some are not parents but the ones that are think footy is "thuggish and violent" and enrol their kids into a contemporary clowning workshop - I am the biggest inner city lefty w***er there is but I ******* hate these pricks
I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke or you are referring to that school that is there.

Surely we've got some of the most valueable real estate left in the inner city haven't we? If not the most.

Its not some glorified ink pot that's been abandoned on the edge of town.
This plan will mean that North has achieved what big clubs like Collingwood and Essendon have not been able to do. That is, to not just develop the facilities at our traditional and spiritual home, but expand them! It allows the club to continue to connect and develop with its long term members and continue to grow with the North Melbourne community as a whole.

This is genuinely an amazing achievement by those at the club responsible for this.

This plan will mean that North has achieved what big clubs like Collingwood and Essendon have not been able to do. That is, to not just develop the facilities at our traditional and spiritual home, but expand them! It allows the club to continue to connect and develop with its long term members and continue to grow with the North Melbourne community as a whole.

This is genuinely an amazing achievement by those at the club responsible for this.

Great point!

We should be targetting a fair chunk of that community for future memberships. Telling them to fu** off might not help with that.
Im sure we will be targeting the community.
I've been taken literally.
When I say * off, I mean have our ground fenced off, to allow for gate takings when required.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im sure we will be targeting the community.
I've been taken literally.
When I say fu** off, I mean have our ground fenced off, to allow for gate takings when required.

It’s, umm, not ‘our’ ground; I think you’ll find the title vested with Melbourne city council

Lol I bet you thought, I know something nobody else does, and couldn't wait to wiki it.
You missed the point completely.

I think you'll find that my point about ownership, and your point about fencing off the oval, are intimately connected, because the owner ain't interested in the fence, on account of how it's a community resource and councillors won't be seen handing over public assets to membership-based organisation. If I'm not much mistaken, all of this was dealt with some time ago, when the cricket club moved out and agreement was reached on the redevelopment

I think you'll find that my point about ownership, and your point about fencing off the oval, are intimately connected, because the owner ain't interested in the fence, on account of how it's a community resource and councillors won't be seen handing over public assets to membership-based organisation. If I'm not much mistaken, all of this was dealt with some time ago, when the cricket club moved out and agreement was reached on the redevelopment
Well yea that's going to be the case 99.15 %

So no fence.
It would be good for the football club if they were allowed one for the reasons I mention .
Considering the "second" oval will be mixed use community space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yea that's going to be the case 99.15 %

So no fence.
It would be good for the football club if they were allowed one for the reasons I mention .
Considering the "second" oval will be mixed use community space.

A fence would be terrible for a community based club. Temp fencing for paid games should be more than fine, shirley
the temporary fencing like the praccy match hawthorn earlier this year is the best we can hope for - problem is the money required cuts pretty deep into the takings

absolutely true. when they pulled down the old Children’s hospital
Speaking of Children’s Hospital now with what the board has done with the new redevelopment of Arden Street I just hope We don’t lose the RCH Good Friday game to the Bulldogs and them hosting the Black and White Scum.
I don’t trust them or The AFL or The RCH board as I wouldn’t be surprised that they take over hosting the Game.
If this does happen this would be a body blow To this club after the good work within the NMFC with the new redevelopment and relegate our club to a possibility of 22 Pay TV games in 2022.

Yes it would be peak AFL to take Good Friday off North Melbourne due to lowly ladder finish in 2021 and give it to Bulldogs versing Collingwood.

Speaking of Children’s Hospital now with what the board has done with the new redevelopment of Arden Street I just hope We don’t lose the RCH Good Friday game to the Bulldogs and them hosting the Black and White Scum.
I don’t trust them or The AFL or The RCH board as I wouldn’t be surprised that they take over hosting the Game.
If this does happen this would be a body blow To this club after the good work within the NMFC with the new redevelopment and relegate our club to a possibility of 22 Pay TV games in 2022.
Probably your best segue yet.

Foxfooty.com.au can reveal a new multipurpose oval, a sports medicine innovation & research centre, a high performance training centre and a functioning and conferencing centre form part of the expansive multimillion-dollar project, which now has a skeleton framework.

A community indoor sports centre is also part of the proposal, strengthening the club’s presence in the area and reaffirming its commitment to remain in traditional heartland.

Sources said North Melbourne’s facilities will be upgraded in line with the best football clubs in the AFL, making the Roos a more attractive destination for prospective players and coaches.

The secondary oval will be used for more than the club’s men’s football program and likely other community sports too.

No Cafe?

The really interesting bit in this is our formal relationship with the huge property developer that's also doing the $2bn Moonee Valley redevelopment.

I thought the woke NMFC didn't do that!

Now, just how COULD we make huge cash on a major urban redevelopment on our doorstep given we've partnered with a property developer that's doing a major urban redevelopment a few clicks up the road?

Its a mystery hey.

Nobody knows.

Even the biggest proponents of this plan like me are befuddled as to how we could make money from our formal partnership with the property developer.

The old "VFL team canned for the W side" thing just never stops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back