What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Delicious. This bassist and drummer(though much maligned) my favourite combination of the many QOTSA incarnations/combinations. Awesome energy(loved Grohl's stuff as well, btw).

And "From the Basement" record and put out some excellent stuff. Worth checking out(IMO).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is Cory Wong. He plays across a number of genres. Pop, jazz, rock, funk, R&B and country. He is incredibly prolific and has put out 12 Albums over the past 3 years as well as collaboration albums with Vulfpeck and Dirty Loops.
This is a live version of "Meditation" from his 2020 album "Elevator Music For An Elevated Mood"
Great guitarist, he also plays the bass as a session musician.

Come and listen to Toehider on Twitch all you metal and 70's 80's and 90's heads

I've just been listening to this for the first time today:

A few comments:
- Very 80's inspired, with a danceable beat, protruding bass (evoking Japan/Duran Duran) and swirling synths
- There's a jagged rhythm guitar underpinning some of the synths that gives the song a harder edge
- The male-female vocal interplay reminds me of The Human League (albeit not as striking because Phil Oakey was a baritone whereas Carl Newman sounds more like a tenor)
- Catchy but not necessarily anthemic chorus
- The vocal delivery and beats combine to make the song sound a little robotic at points ala Kraftwerk, but Kraftwerk was such a big influence on New Wave that this might just a coincidence

Far from groundbreaking, but rather a pretty good 80's New Wave song updated with modern production techniques.

I'll look into these guys further.

The harmonies on display here...wowwee, otherworldly...recommend headphones to extract the full nutrients on offer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back