Resource Massive expectation game - sh*t on the liver delivered, list of games

Remove this Banner Ad

Whichever game it was where we smashed Geelong in the first quarter, there was a brawl at quarter time then we kicked about 1 goal for the rest of the match as they kicked about 12.
Cam osheazy and the pitdogg ruffling feathers on the boundary. Bombing to sam Gray against H. Taylor for the next 3 quarters. Good times

The last game at AAMI was a complete dead rubber for us - I don’t think there was anything to that.

Don’t know if it’s in line with NFH but +7 and +8 scoring shots in 2014 PF and 2017 EF and lose both. 2013 SF - blowing a 4 goal half time lead.

2015, finals on the line after starting the season 0-2. Get thumped by Lions, then go down a few weeks later to Carlton. Those two sides would finish 17th and 18th.

Round 10 2013. Start the season 5-0, all the pressure is on us. Go on to lose the next 4 (admittedly all against eventual finalists). Come up against the Bulldogs (who would finish 15th) before the bye, chance to build momentum. Dominate the first half but only just get up 5.5 to 4.0. Dogs run away in the second half to win the game.

2014 - choke both matchups vs Sydney to lose top 4. Yeah it was the Buddy show, but it is more evidence to the trend of choking when we were the hunted.

Second showdown of 2017. Get blown away by a record 87 points.

Round 5 2016 vs Geelong. Saturday night at home, on FTA. Players act all tough, scraps occur and a melee eventuates on QT. Geelong come out after QT and blow us away making the team look like a joke.

Round 17 2018 vs Freo. Insipid performance that starts the rot which would lead to us becoming the first team to miss finals from an 11-4 start.

The 2014 Essendon game was a big one for me personally in terms of breaking Hinkley's spell over me.

Obviously I was already pretty dirty about the fact we hadn't picked Butcher all year, the structure didn't seen sustainable to me, way too short, but I guess we were winning.

Then we lost both Carlile and Trengove in the Showdown, costing us the game. When it came to the selection night the following week, we replaced Carlile and Trengove with Young and O'Shea. Flankers. We didn't even pretend to pick replacement KPDs

It was our first obvious game lost at the selection table. Butcher and Clurey both played SANFL that week. Essendon were a middling side but had strong talls everywhere and absolutely annihilated us in the air. Just dumb as s**t selection, prime Kenny just taking a giant steaming turd on the idea of a structure.

Still angry just thinking about it.

Fremantle 8.11 (59) defeated Port Adelaide 7.8 (50) at Optus Stadium on Sunday, July 15. round 17 - 2018.
Boh! Great call. What ridiculous performance that was. Were the expectations high then? I remember the game (Freo kicked 6 or 7 behinds in a row), but I don’t recall the circumstances.

Round 12 2017 vs Essendon @ docklands. Cale hooker, 5 goals. :)
IIRC a week before we cruised to what would look like 100 point win against Hawthorn, only to completely stop playing football in the second half and put the cue in the rack.
I was just start following footy back then. Our first half against HAW was flawless. I was in awe.

I didn’t mind our second half, because it’s common in soccer to slow the tempo down once a game is over, but for the gameclock. People here, however, did say that this usually carried on to the next match.

I thought it was rubbish. Until I saw the next match, I mean…

Courtesy of Footywire
Sat 8 August 2015
Rd19 Marvel Stadium
Bulldogs vs Port
128 to 64 loss

I was there.
It was an absolute disaster zone.
I am damaged by it.

I still think that 2019 round 22 game against nth.melb. is the worst of the lot. I finished up watching that game and had that same hollow feeling I had last sat.night.
Nth Melb were low on the ladder and the previous week against Geelong they kicked a grand total of 1 goal for the entire match . Yet we managed not to just lose to them we got thumped and Ben brown kicked 10. Up to sat night I kind of thought that game maybe was finally the turning point for the club and flakeness was left behind after that game and we turned into a contender the last 2 seasons but the flakeness returned in the prelim

Fremantle 8.11 (59) defeated Port Adelaide 7.8 (50) at Optus Stadium on Sunday, July 15. round 17 - 2018.
Just checked it.

We were tied at 2nd (4th on percentage); 1 win behind 1st place.
We had beaten StK, for that 5th win in a row to put us at an 11-4 record.

Freo was 13th and had lost its previous two matches by a combined margin of 109 points.

We lost that game and never recovered from it. First team ever to go from 11-4 to missing Finals.

Just checked it.

We were tied at 2nd (4th on percentage); 1 win behind 1st place.
We had beaten StK, for that 5th win in a row to put us at an 11-4 record.

Freo was 13th and had lost its previous two matches by a combined margin of 109 points.

We lost that game and never recovered from it. First team ever to go from 11-4 to missing Finals.

He should have been sacked after missing finals from 11-4

In 2018 we were in the 8 at the end of Round 16 with an 11-5 record and looking at finals then this...

R18 v Giants @ Adelaide Oval loss 58-80
R20 v Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval loss 93-96
R21 v West Coast @ Adelaide Oval loss 58-62
R23 v Essendon @ Adelaide Oval loss 89-111

Neither the Crows or Essendon made the 8 but GWS did with 13 wins to our 12. All of those games were 'must wins' as far as our finals aspirations went and we lost the lot on our home ground. No team should lose 4 consecutive games on it's home ground when looking at the finals. We also lost to a substandard Dockers in Perth in round 17. We had thrashed the Dockers by 50 points in R1. Prior to 2018 I had my doubts about Hinkley's ability to win us a flag but I reckon that 1-6 finish to the 2018 season was the clincher for me.

From what I and others have posted REH, I reckon you could bracket all four of those 2018 games as one big cluster*.

As far as single games go, I agree that 1 point loss to Carlton in R23 2013 at AAMI was hard to take. We lead by 29 points at 3/4 time but allowed them to kick 8.2 in the last quarter. What a way to exit a ground on which we had won a dozen SANFL premierships and a couple of AFL Prelim Finals.

Last edited:
Saturday night was the worst one. Only close contender us the Ben Brown game but Saturday wins because it was a prelim.

JuDgE uS oN fInAlS

*Proceeds to lay the biggest pile of crap in 9 years*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should have been sacked after missing finals from 11-4
We just had given him an (undeserved) extension after 2017. We weren’t in a position to pay him out then.

The 2014 Essendon game was a big one for me personally in terms of breaking Hinkley's spell over me.

Was that the Hombsch up forward game? jeeeeeeeeeeezus

That was a horrible night. I think the club had been flying for basically the past 18 months and everything was coming up gold until then... that was the crowd decibel meter as well. So cringey.

Boh! Great call. What ridiculous performance that was. Were the expectations high then? I remember the game (Freo kicked 6 or 7 behinds in a row), but I don’t recall the circumstances.

I was just start following footy back then. Our first half against HAW was flawless. I was in awe.

I didn’t mind our second half, because it’s common in soccer to slow the tempo down once a game is over, but for the gameclock. People here, however, did say that this usually carried on to the next match.

I thought it was rubbish. Until I saw the next match, I mean…
I remember being so upset with that game.

No. Its just fact. We ran out of steam the last part of 2013. That is where any excuses stop though.
Except that he admitted himself with that '13 cats final that he went ultra defensive at half time - against the consensus in the coaches box.

Saturday night was the worst one. Only close contender us the Ben Brown game but Saturday wins because it was a prelim.

JuDgE uS oN fInAlS

*Proceeds to lay the biggest pile of crap in 9 years*
luckily i was sipping a frappe on a beach in Greece at the time of the North game. checked the score and lol'd. very glad i never got to witness that game.

2017 again. The showdown. Round 20. They're top of the ladder, win and were in the top 4. 10 scoring shots to 2 first term but they only lead by 8 behinds. No matter, they have 40 scoring shots for the game to win by 15 goals. Was this the game it was pissing wet too? Probably equivalent to a 25 goal loss in the dry.
Should have been sacked after that game!

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It also amazes me that the media haven't caught on to some of these records under Ken....

we're the only people who actually care

Obviously I was already pretty dirty about the fact we hadn't picked Butcher all year, the structure didn't seen sustainable to me, way too short, but I guess we were winning.

Then we lost both Carlile and Trengove in the Showdown, costing us the game. When it came to the selection night the following week, we replaced Carlile and Trengove with Young and O'Shea. Flankers. We didn't even pretend to pick replacement KPDs

It was our first obvious game lost at the selection table. Butcher and Clurey both played SANFL that week. Essendon were a middling side but had strong talls everywhere and absolutely annihilated us in the air. Just dumb as sh*t selection, prime Kenny just taking a giant steaming turd on the idea of a structure.

Still angry just thinking about it.

Was that the famous game in which Bassett said after selection "There is no point playing tall defenders on opposition talls unless they are good opposition talls" or words to that effect.

******* hubris.

Was that the famous game in which Bassett said after selection "There is no point playing tall defenders on opposition talls unless they are good opposition talls" or words to that effect.

******* hubris.

"It doesn't matter how tall you are, only how good you are."

I haven't read through the thread but the one game that sticks out for me is the Showdown in 2017 where several of our players wore longsleeves under their regular guernseys because it was cold. The Crows viewed this as an obvious sign of weakness and went in dry. It was only their inaccuracy that prevented it being a 100+ point blow-out. From memory it was 80 points or thereabouts.

He should have been sacked then and there.

Courtesy of Footywire
Sat 8 August 2015
Rd19 Marvel Stadium
Bulldogs vs Port
128 to 64 loss

I was there.
It was an absolute disaster zone.
I am damaged by it.
I forgot to mention this was the exact template for last Saturday's loss.
Never in it.
They ran us off our feet.
There has been no improvement in our tactics against the Dogs since then.
Nor have Dogs had to change their formula against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back