NRL NRL 2021 Season - Finals Week 1

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I can't stand afl as a spectacle these days and only watch it if my team is playing, so the clash of times is irrelevant to me.

I'll probably go back and forth during the night and watch replays of both later on.

Why should the NRL change its schedule for. If team 1 wins the first final, they are always going to play the Saturday night game.
As if PVL is going to listen to a bunch of whining Victorians.

Why should the NRL change its schedule for. If team 1 wins the first final, they are always going to play the Saturday night game.

Agree and neither would ch9...I mean seriously you recon a twilight prelim will rate more than a night one? Pull the other one.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
The NRL believe that they have the best product, you hear the commentators constantly saying its "the greatest game in the world." there is no way they are going to yield to what they see as an inferior competition
Well circus’ like this is the reason why it’s not the greatest game in the world. The AFL is a national comp whereas the NRL still thinks it’s a QLD NSW comp and hate the fact the storm are a success..

Well circus’ like this is the reason why it’s not the greatest game in the world. The AFL is a national comp whereas the NRL still thinks it’s a QLD NSW comp and hate the fact the storm are a success..

No one is forcing you to watch the AFL you know.

The AFL Grand Final is the biggest sporting even in the country. People can follow more than one sport.

Never said they couldn’t but don’t expect the NRL to change a night prelim when it’s been that way for years!

Aged well.

As if they were ever going to go h2h.

NRL was never changing from a night game. One was always on a Friday and one on a Saturday. 9 would have had the choice which one rates higher and in these times that's fine.
Lol

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
No one is forcing you to watch the AFL you know.
The AFL is my favourite sport and the grand final is the biggest sporting event in the country. Also, I think it’s perfectly reasonable that I can follow multiple sports. I love my sport. Nothing will top the cricket and the footy but I’m also a keen follower of my teams in the local comps such as storm, western United, vixens and rebels.

The AFL Grand Final is the biggest sporting event in the country.
People can follow more than one sport - once again this is the NRL going out of its way to try to make the game fail outside NSW/QLD.
Melbourne Cup says hi.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Melbourne Cup says hi.

I can’t remember who but some halfwit tried to argue with me repeatedly once that the AFL GF was bigger and more generally followed than the Melbourne Cup

On a separate topic I’m going to have an epic whinge about the ******* judiciary system.

the roosters seem to have an incredibly tough job of getting a decent crack through the MRP and judiciary process. How the f*** Sam Verrills gets two weeks for that tackle on the weekend is mind boggling. Protect the head all you want. But stop trying to find a culprit for accidents.

On a separate topic I’m going to have an epic whinge about the ******* judiciary system.

the roosters seem to have an incredibly tough job of getting a decent crack through the MRP and judiciary process. How the f*** Sam Verrills gets two weeks for that tackle on the weekend is mind boggling. Protect the head all you want. But stop trying to find a culprit for accidents.

You whinged high and dry that Mitchell deserves his ban for causing an injury…be consistent! Verrils broke Kelly’s nose in the tackle. He’s lucky it’s only grade 2.

He didn’t get 2 weeks he got 1 week only got 2 because he stupidly challenged it

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You whinged high and dry that Mitchell deserves his ban for causing an injury…be consistent! Verrils broke Kelly’s nose in the tackle. He’s lucky it’s only grade 2.

He didn’t get 2 weeks he got 1 week only got 2 because he stupidly challenged it

Mitchell caused an injury by wrecklessly and carelessly propelling himself at the ball carrier with force.

verrills didn’t any more ‘cause’ his opppnent’s injury - which didn’t even See him leave the field - no more than a ball carrier ‘causes’ a player to be injured when they get hit on the head by the runner’s hip. He cannot disappear.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

I think, much like the AFL system (which is a complete chook lotto TBF) you have to judge the action and then allow the outcome to determine the length.

For mine, the Mitchell one the intent and action were 100% suspendable actions, then the injury means it must be a longer suspension.

The Verrils one its much much harder to judge the intent and action, so if you think its legal then the broken nose doesnt matter, if you think its not legal then 2 weeks seems pretty light. They have split the difference which is why people are pissed off about it IMO.

Mitchell caused an injury by wrecklessly and carelessly propelling himself at the ball carrier with force.

verrills didn’t any more ‘cause’ his opppnent’s injury - which didn’t even See him leave the field - no more than a ball carrier ‘causes’ a player to be injured when they get hit on the head by the runner’s hip. He cannot disappear.

He broke Kelly’s nose end of story you are not getting a grade 1 with a fracture goes against everything and every incident graded this season. You could have walked away with 1 week you know.

Grade 2 careless is actually pretty lenient.

I think, much like the AFL system (which is a complete chook lotto TBF) you have to judge the action and then allow the outcome to determine the length.

For mine, the Mitchell one the intent and action were 100% suspendable actions, then the injury means it must be a longer suspension.

The Verrils one its much much harder to judge the intent and action, so if you think its legal then the broken nose doesnt matter, if you think its not legal then 2 weeks seems pretty light. They have split the difference which is why people are pissed off about it IMO.

Yep they have taken a bit of two bobs each way really. Think 2 weeks is about right then again thought Mitchell was careless not reckless. Think Mitchell is worse but it isn’t 3 times worse.

The bigger issue is how in earth did Junior Paulo not get suspended this week for an identical thing than Verrils did

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He broke Kelly’s nose end of story you are not getting a grade 1 with a fracture goes against everything and every incident graded this season. You could have walked away with 1 week you know.

Grade 2 careless is actually pretty lenient.

No it’s not.

he can’t disappear. No movement towards the ball carrier. No leading with the shoulder. No swinging arm. A contact sport needs allowances for things that can’t be avoided in the normal profession of the sport.
His only means of avoiding that was to step out of the way. Using your logic a runner could cart the ball up head first ala Richard Villasanti and get himself knocked out every hit up and the defender would get suspended.

utterly ridiculous decision and the logic behind it goes against everything sport stands for. Especially when Junior Pauli gets off for a worse effort

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep they have taken a bit of two bobs each way really. Think 2 weeks is about right then again thought Mitchell was careless not reckless. Think Mitchell is worse but it isn’t 3 times worse.

The bigger issue is how in earth did Junior Paulo not get suspended this week for an identical thing than Verrils did
Well this is also an issue and in reverse, how did Verrilis get suspended when Paulo didnt.

Back