Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he's allowed to feel disappointed. Literally played his whole career for this moment and ended up maybe 1-2 spots outside the 23. He's a competitive beast and would want nothing more to throw the red and blue on one more time in a grand final.

Everyone speaks of his character and sacrifice. I don't think he's bitter about it, just venting and being honest.

Love ya Jonesy

Thanks for all you've done Jonesy.

Club can finally move on without the noise of whether he plays or not, it was starting to get a bit out of hand even though some of us knew he had 0 chance of playing.

Now the club can fully focus on the grand final.

To be honest I think it is great timing as it adds a "Let's win this for Jonesy" motivation for the team (if they did not already have enough motivation - every little bit helps).

And a true champion of the club. Not the most talented player we have ever had but you could never doubt his commitment and the fact he would always give 110%.

DL.

Nothing but respect and admiration for Nate. He was always mega loyal despite the mess our club was in for a lot of his career and he never stopped giving his absolute all at training and on the park. You could tell everytime he kicked a goal how much it meant to him and how much he loved playing for the dees.

Dude is an absolute legend regardless of what I or others think about his previous couple of years, Ill always respect him massively.

If he wants to be pissed about the club announcing it before him hes well within his rights. Hes done far more for it than the club has for him.

Islanda22 saying some stuff that im thinking below the surface, have a sense of occasion tho mate ffs, now isn't the time for it.
Player's form drops off at the end of their career? Real surprise news.

Anyway, I do feel surprisingly emotional about this news. It was always a pipe dream that he could come on as medisub when we're 10 goals up with a quarter to go and leave as a premiership player. He's given the club and us as fans everything he could. Can understand his disappointment and being upset about the circumstances; he's had a rollercoaster few days.

Will always love and respect him.

Whilst I could understand he would be disappointed to some degree I think he needs to realise that he fairly lucky he was on the list this year.
Personally I thought he would have retired last year but obviously they had it in mind that they wanted to get him to 300.

The club has done absolutely the best it has for Nathan Jones this year.

How him and Jerri take the news is entirely up to them.

I didn't realise that I'd be so gutted regarding this.

Obviously he dragged everything out of himself, and the club definitely helped him make sure he got to a well deserved 300 games.

Terrific career, 300 games at the oldest club in the land. Stuck fat when others left a sinking ship, and the romance would love to have seen him picked to run out there next Saturday, but clearly the club either told him he would probably not play, or had others ahead of him- which they are obviously entitled to do.

It's a shame, but the club has definitely made the right call. Hypothetically, he's picked as medical sub and we lose may early, then Jones plays and does a quad/calf on the back of no football in 3 months, could be the difference between a flag and losing.

Congrats on a great career Jonesy, one of the great MFC players. Cheers for the memories.

“Over the years, the two things that have driven me to stay committed to this footy club have been firstly, the chance to play in a premiership one day and secondly, to ensure that no young player coming into Melbourne would have the experience I did for many years, I wanted to leave Melbourne Football Club a better place."

What a s**t time it must have been to go through all those losses, season after season. I hope there are people commited to continue his efforts to make sure our young players thrive in our team and experience better times.
I'm not sure where people are getting the narrative where he is filthy and disappointed at the club from, I didn't see any of that in the article.
He zoomed in and spoke to the boys and said he was disappointed not to play in the GF, as anyone would be, and announced his retirement
He wouldn't give a s**t if it's not a formal AFL or club media announcement or not, he's too busy with his new kids now to worry about that.

Absolute Legend of the club, thanks for all the great memories Chunk.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id appreciate anyone talking about their favourite game Jonesey played, im drawing blanks, think ive suppressed so many of his best games due to how s**t we were, need some reminding.

Id appreciate anyone talking about their favourite game Jonesey played, im drawing blanks, think ive suppressed so many of his best games due to how sh*t we were, need some reminding.

Played a really good game against his brother in 2019.

Id appreciate anyone talking about their favourite game Jonesey played, im drawing blanks, think ive suppressed so many of his best games due to how sh*t we were, need some reminding.

Not a highlight reel sort of player, but I seem to remember him being a huge part of us winning that game against the 'Dogs in 2012 and then again in that victory vs the Cats in 2015. Seemed to lift the entire team on days like that.

I think in 2017 it was? we where down against the suns in alice. Jones pretty much said 'nope' put the team on his back and dug in

Not a highlight reel sort of player, but I seem to remember him being a huge part of us winning that game against the 'Dogs in 2012 and then again in that victory vs the Cats in 2015. Seemed to lift the entire team on days like that.

I thought of the cats game in 2015 too , but went back and looked on DemonWiki and he wasn't even named in the best

I think in 2017 it was? we where down against the suns in alice. Jones pretty much said 'nope' put the team on his back and dug in

Yea, I remember that first half and typing all sorts of venom on here, we played like absolute shite haha, good call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back