Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Phoenix Spicer has put pen to paper on a one-year contract extension, which will see him at Arden St until at least the end of 2023.

Spicer was selected by North Melbourne with pick 42 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, with his Round 23 debut seeing him become the Roos’ fifth first-year player to debut in 2021.

“Phoenix has put in a lot of hard work this year, both at training and in the VFL, which was ultimately rewarded with a debut,” Rawlings said.

“He has explosive pace and plays with a bit of edge, which we find really attractive. We look forward to seeing him continue to develop in our football program.

“He faced some time on the sidelines due to injury this year too, so we’re excited to see what he can do with an uninterrupted run.”

Last edited:

It was one year. Draftees get an automatic 2 years.
Yeah that’s what I mean
I would have waited to see how he went next year before considering a new contract

looking ahead I had him in trouble this time next year if there was minimal development. Maybe a rookie list candidate

he seems very far off being at the level

Yeah that’s what I mean
I would have waited to see how he went next year before considering a new contract

looking ahead I had him in trouble this time next year. Maybe a rookie list candidate

he seems very far off being at the level
As I said in the other thread, looks like they are backing him in with a view to the longer-term. Similar to Edwards and P Walker.

Very, very raw but has attributes you can't teach. Hopefully this guy can put some pieces together.

I mean he's noticeably more muscular than when he was drafted, so he's clearly been doing hard work off the track. Couple that with an elite attribute or two and I don't see any reason we wouldn't extend him at this point in time. Clearly has a lot to work on still but I haven't heard anything to imply he's tracking in the wrong direction. More than happy enough with this extension, if he comes good we have a key piece of our team sorted.

Need to add another small forward with pace just to take some pressure off this guy. He's close to our young player with the most weight on his shoulders considering what a player like him could potentially do in our future forward line.

Need to add another small forward with pace just to take some pressure off this guy. He's close to our young player with the most weight on his shoulders considering what a player like him could potentially do in our future forward line.

Like Josh Rachele?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we run spicer and mahony? Otherwise one of them will most likely be dropped or moved to another position.

My biggest issue with him is something unlikely to drastically improve unfortunately.

He didn't look like a good user coming into the league and what we saw at VFL level and AFL level, I think that was confirmed.

He can hit targets, but his turnover rates are huge. He grubbers, shanks kicks and misses targets with regularity.

He's got some good attributes, has obviously impressed the coaches, so it will be interested to see how his disposal tracks over the next 12-18 months.

If he can't improve his kicking, he will be out of the league extremely quickly. If he can, he's got a good chance of becoming a regularly AFL player. It's really the only thing holding him back.

Wow, now if he works on his tackling technique so they stick, he's in a very very good spot imo.

Kudos to Tarryn Thomas who took him under his wing last year.

Phoenix has certainly been doing the work.

There were real meaningful signs of improvement in the second half of the year as he started to increase his involvement in general play. That’s his next step and he can do that through manic forward pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back