Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Crows were competitive all year playing the youngest team in the comp.

A LOT of their kids are showing a fair bit - Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Butts, McHenry, Jones at half back, Sholl, plus a fantastic series of first years like Cook, Pedlar, etc.

This is how you do a rebuild, and they're in a VERY good spot going forward.
Bahahahahahahahaha......

Bahahahahahahahahaha

Is pushing 15 back to 23 worth the benefit of moving 7 up to 4?

Almost certainly not. Think teams will value pick 15 much higher than moving back into the 20’s.

would require Richmond to be seriously into a player they think will go before 7 and still there at 4.. which could happen, but think it’s unlikely to work out that way.
I agree from a Richmond point that 7/15 to them is more valuable than 4.

The picks from 4-15 could go any order after the usual suspects at the top. I know we say this most years but I'm guessing the Tigers would be keener on two higher hits than pick 4 on a player they could easily get at 7 and arguably 15 also.

The COLA discussion has completely outgrown this thread so it’s been moved to the Sydney club focus thread instead;

Keep this one for Dawson’s potential home, and what will be involved in the trade :)

Question for Swans supporters who obviously see him play more often, do you see Dawson as potential to be a centre square midfielder?

Think he’s a great talent and shown some excellent form on the outside with his precision kicking but could he move inside too?

From ports view we have a number of good outside players with excellent foot skills but obviously lacking on the inside but would still love him either way
He's not great down low. Not bad, just not great. The wing is perfect for him as he'll already be in space so can really damage opponents with his kicking

He's not great down low. Not bad, just not great. The wing is perfect for him as he'll already be in space so can really damage opponents with his kicking

If that’s the case and he did come to port hopefully one of Amon/Duursma would be able to become that inside player to allow Dawson to take a wing.

If that’s the case and he did come to port hopefully one of Amon/Duursma would be able to become that inside player to allow Dawson to take a wing.
Dawson is a significantly better player than Duursma. If we get Dawson, Duursma wouldn't be 'allowing' Dawson to do anything, Dawson would be taking a wing spot by force and Duursma would either need to adapt or lose his place in the side.

Really hope Dawson chooses his preferred club between Port and Crows in the next couple of days.

Then one side of us can leave the thread and it’s not another slinging contest between sides.
No no No. If he has a club in mind it would be far better if he sat on the fence about it for a few weeks :thumbsu:. We'll tolerate the regulation SA shitfight.

Guys like Dawson dont grow on trees. Good ones cost actual currency.
The way to get them is to always be realistic. If it hurts a bit then you're probably getting closer to the pricetag.

Somewhere around pick 10-15 is about ball park. Pick 5-20 is the tyre kicking range.
If you dont think he's worth that then you simply arnt interested in him, which is fine and saves you from that nagging need to bullshit everyone.

Big write up it The Advertiser saying we (Crows) just have to pull out all stops to land Dawson. Said we should offer 5 x $500k but that less that what has been reported the Swans offered? We must go with a big offer, who the hell are we paying our salary cap to? we're a team of cheap kids!

Then Port Footy Manager quoted on the AFL site as saying they have exztreme interest in dawson but haven't had any meaningful discussions with him YET.

This will be a big test of the Crows who have been trampled over by Port at the trading and drafting table in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair, but we need a one on one KPD. He wanted out.

He has played well but shown up when playing accountable footy.

He left solely for the same reason Dawson will be and that's salary cap pressure. It had nothing to do with the Swans needing a one on one KPD or whatever s**t you're trying to peddle.

Dawson is a great player and I understand why both clubs are keen. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my behalf, but he seems a better fit for the Crows though. Port have lots of good young outside mids. Surely they would be better off spending collateral on inside leaning mids and KPPs while they are in the window.

Dawson is a great player and I understand why both clubs are keen. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my behalf, but he seems a better fit for the Crows though. Port have lots of good young outside mids. Surely they would be better off spending collateral on inside leaning mids and KPPs while they are in the window.
Great player........

I really hope for their supporters sake that the Crows do not blink and pay overs for Dawson because Port have publicly declared their interest in him (which I almost suspect is the only reason Port are doing it tbh)

This year's 2nd rounder and a future 3rd from the Crows is what Adelaide should really only pony up (I don't think they should split pick 4 up either unless they know they will get the kid they really want with one of the picks they get back in return)

I know Dawson is a good SA Prospect but I firmly believe the Crows are not in a position to compromise their rebuild by giving up decent trade capital.

I really hope for their supporters sake that the Crows do not blink and pay overs for Dawson because Port have publicly declared their interest in him (which I almost suspect is the only reason Port are doing it tbh)

This year's 2nd rounder and a future 3rd from the Crows is what Adelaide should really only pony up (I don't think they should split pick 4 up either unless they know they will get the kid they really want with one of the picks they get back in return)

I know Dawson is a good SA Prospect but I firmly believe the Crows are not in a position to compromise their rebuild by giving up decent trade capital.
To be fair quoting multiple AFL pundits “if port only give up pick 16” that is a steal….

so yeah, not having a go, but your above post is basically what Matt Rendell said……if you can get a bargain sure, but I don’t think splitting pixk 4 and paying pick 15 for Dawson is in anyway “overs” in fact I wouldn’t accept that from Swans side, but he is OOC and I am not exactly independent.

I see slight overs in terms of contract but not trade capital if he nominate us.

To be fair quoting multiple AFL pundits “if port only give up pick 16” that is a steal….

so yeah, not having a go, but your above post is basically what Matt Rendell said……if you can get a bargain sure, but I don’t think splitting pixk 4 and paying pick 15 for Dawson is in anyway “overs” in fact I wouldn’t accept that from Swans side, but he is OOC and I am not exactly independent.
I'm hearing pick 16 is "around the mark" and not a steal. He had a fantastic second half this year so has potential to be an elite player but that's all it is, we are not trying to recruit an already well established elite player.

He left solely for the same reason Dawson will be and that's salary cap pressure. It had nothing to do with the Swans needing a one on one KPD or whatever sh*t you're trying to peddle.

He left because we gave him a 1 year contract, he had previous discipline issues with club and he isnt a KPD.

You offered him more and got him in as you needed an intercept defender.

But hey, you know. When you offer a player 500k for 5 years if reported as correct, somebody is offering a lot of cash...

FMD, Carlton supporter lecturing us on how to do trades after the debacles you guys have had recently, and about to cough up pick 6 for Cerra who's no where near as valuable as Dawson.

FMD, Carlton supporter lecturing us on how to do trades after the debacles you guys have had recently, and about to cough up pick 6 for Cerra who's no where near as valuable as Dawson.

Wasn't a lecture at all, and if anything I was trying to be supportive of the Crows. But read into it what you must.

He left solely for the same reason Dawson will be and that's salary cap pressure. It had nothing to do with the Swans needing a one on one KPD or whatever sh*t you're trying to peddle.
Dawson's reasons for leaving have absolutely nothing to do with the Swans salary cap. He wants to come home to SA.

Back