Famous Grand Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

That is one of the great joys of our game, a score of 150 can still be not enough to win a game.

I would assume that you win 99 games out of 100 when scoring 150 points.
It was higher than any other grand final score, previous to that point in time. Only problem for Richmond was Carlton scored even higher, which was clever change in tactic leading into the match. Think they loaded up forward line and essentially said, catch us if you can Richmond and they could not.
Jesaulenko, Nicholls and Walls kicked massive amount of goals between them.

1989 grand final the next grand final after this, that was a big attacking shoot out. Problem was in that one Geelong only had Ablett, he the 80's equivalent of Jesaulenko. Geelong needed a Nicholls, Walls etc to go with Ablett and did not have those types.

That is one of the great joys of our game, a score of 150 can still be not enough to win a game.

I would assume that you win 99 games out of 100 when scoring 150 points.

150 pts, pfft, was not even considered a remarkable score back then..!
For the kiddies, this was the era where if your direct forward opponent didn't kick more than 5 goals in a game, you were patted on the back for keeping him relatively quiet..!
With Peter McKenna & Hudson, Kelvin Templeton, Bernie Quinlan and Michael Roach, having 15 shots at goal in game was quite common.

Last edited:
How many grand finals have an iconic piece of commentary that can automatically bring to mind the game? The Eagles have had one in a few of their grand finals.

'Matera sets sail for home and the Eagles hit the front.'
'Leo Barry, you star.'
'Who would have thought the sequel would be just as good as the original.'

The 2018 grand final was pretty epic too but I can't recall the specific commentary when Sheed marked or goaled.

You forgot 2015
"The first team in the 18 team competition to go back, to back, to back - they're threepeaters! They are remarkable"

Overall probably got to put them in era of time when we cannot see any footage but can only really read about.
This period from start of the first grand final to end of 1950's. Some bit of film reel for bits of grand finals but nothing where you can actually watch a big chunk of game and get a feel for the day itself. Example is 1954 grand final of Footscray first flag. There some old film reel footage but I cannot feel like I actually transported to the time period by watching it.

In this non tv period and rare film era the most famous I can read about are 1910 bribery scandals and the grand final context.
1945 Bloodbath grand final is most famous of pre-television era.

Black and White tv era the famous grand finals would be 1966 , 1970 and 1972 grand finals.
These are ones when I was a little kid learning about the game would see staying up late at night on channel 7 with the Grand Final marathon show and the grainy old black and white footage has it's own feel to it of the era.

Then move onto the era where grand finals are televised live on tv which also is now the colour tv era to go with it.
1977 grand final obviously famous because it both first one fully televised live on tv and was a famous draw.
1979 grand final famous for so many reasons and first grand final where Norm Smith Medal presented straight after the game.
1989 famous for the shoot out, in that, it a bit like the colour tv version of 1972 grand final where the chasing team never really in it but so many goals scored it so entertaining for all out attack mood of the game on the days.

After 1989 a lot of grand finals are not famous enough on their own due to theme's of drought breaking grand finals wins like Collingwood, Swans, Geelong, Bulldogs and Richmond compare to each other but the grand final itself as a game does not have the singular fame in itself. Bulldogs drought breaking one was a good game but not a sensational game in itself. Tom Boyd goal about only big moment I can remember of the game but rest of it a blur.
Other theme's of expansion teams winning their first flag litter this period too. 1992 probably being first grand final a club from outside Victoria wins a flag is closest to fame but the game itself I struggle to think of famous.
I think 2009 after 1989 is most famous grand final of this period of 90's and beyond because so many memorable moments like toe tap moment and classic close grand final in wet, like the 1979 grand final had.
2010 drawn grand final probably the other as the bad bounce that Milne had close to goal was last real chance for Saints to win and it was not to be. Bit like the Twiggy Dunne moment in other televised drawn grand final.

There are a lot of grand final games I like to watch like 1982 and 1984 in particular as matches themselves that had exciting moments but the grand final itself not considered famous like 1945, 1970, 1989 etc that still talked about so many years after they happen.

Last edited:
1966 - St Kildas only win and by a point
1970 - Jezza's mark, the birth of modern footy
1971 - A brutal match
1977 - The 2nd Drawn GF
1979 - Hames on the boundary line
1980 - Bartlett runs amok
1984 - Sheedy moves magents around and comesback
1985 - Dermott kicks 8
1989 - Ablett kicks 9, high scoring and brutal game of footy
1992 - The Cup leaves Victoria for the first time
1997 - Jarman runs wild in the last quarter, St Kilda
2001 - The power in footy went from Essendon and Sheedy to the Lions
2002 - A wet weather scrap, Rocca and Aka
2004 - Port breaks through and the lions era ends
2007 - Cats break through and port get an all time beat down
2008 - Hawks after a lean 15 years by their standards breaks through, Dew has the best 10 minutes of his life
2009 - The 2 best sides all year go it in the wet, a tense hard game of footy, the best grand final in the 21st century so far
2010 - The final drawn GF, Goddards mark
2011 - Geelong gets a 3rd flag and again 2 high quality sides going at it
2014 - Hawthron makes a statement against the Swans and wins the 2nd of their 3 in a row
2016 - Dogs complete the fairy tale and get their 2nd
2017 - Richmond after years of misery break through, the power stance and how badly the crows recovered from it
2018 - Dom Sheed
2020 - Dusty gets a 3rd norm smith, first final outside of Victoria and Covid year
2021 - First GF in perth, 2 smaller clubs go at it, Will the Dees break though or will the dogs create a potential dynasty?

Nicely compiled list, can't argue with most except (2008) Stewart Dew went out with Teresa Palmer for quite a while around then and that counts as even better moment in his life

How many grand finals have an iconic piece of commentary that can automatically bring to mind the game? The Eagles have had one in a few of their grand finals.

'Leo Barry, you star.'

The 2018 grand final was pretty epic too but I can't recall the specific commentary when Sheed marked or goaled.

“Jarman again, round the body, that’ll do! THAT. WILL. DO!”

'Leo Barry, you star.'

I remember the commentary " Sheed, needs to be inch perfect and HE IS, he's got the most Impossible Goal!!"

It was higher than any other grand final score, previous to that point in time. Only problem for Richmond was Carlton scored even higher, which was clever change in tactic leading into the match. Think they loaded up forward line and essentially said, catch us if you can Richmond and they could not.
Jesaulenko, Nicholls and Walls kicked massive amount of goals between them.

1989 grand final the next grand final after this, that was a big attacking shoot out. Problem was in that one Geelong only had Ablett, he the 80's equivalent of Jesaulenko. Geelong needed a Nicholls, Walls etc to go with Ablett and did not have those types.
The funny part about 1972 is Richmond played Carlton in the 2nd semi, drew 61-61 then Richmond beat carlton 110-69 in the replay.
Carlton scored more in one game for the grand final, than in both 2nd semi matches.

1990 always seams to be over looked though.

Must say 2021 grand final will be more famous then 2020 out of the covid flags.

never liked 2020 was a horrible gf played on a crap ground that is the Gabba. Perth is way better.

Apart from 1990 and 2010 (2 both draw and replay more so the replay) my other top 5 favourite GFs are:

1989 marvelled at both teams possibly the greatest gf ever played and
2016 a feel good gf for the dogs

2021 has a feel good feeling about it too be even better if Melbourne win it.

To be honest good gfs have been few and far apart too they have been non events the bulk of them.

I did like the duels sydney and west coast 2005 and 2006. I liked the Leo Barry marking moment.

Did not rate 2007,09,11 geelongs gfs boring as in 2011 collingwood should have won.

And hawks 2013-2015 more boring gfs

2021 is the one im looking forward too.

you wreak of Bu**Hurt

1970. Biggest crowd ever to witness a game. A game that defies belief in how it panned out. Jump on You Tube and watch it.
The first half all Collingwood, the third quarter the unbelievable Carlton blitz. The last quarter of agonising neck and neck tension right down to the wire.
It defined for a generation how two massive clubs moved forward. It ushered in modern play on football.
The TV commentary was perhaps the best ever done.
The greatest game.

1970. Biggest crowd ever to witness a game. A game that defies belief in how it panned out. Jump on You Tube and watch it.
The first half all Collingwood, the third quarter the unbelievable Carlton blitz. The last quarter of agonising neck and neck tension right down to the wire.
It defined for a generation how two massive clubs moved forward. It ushered in modern play on football.
The greatest game.

There's actually a you-tube vid of just those 7 goals in 12 minutes. I was born in '60 and that is the most amazing thing l've seen in a granny.
Next would probably be Essendon's last q.in '84. To kick 5 in 3q then 9 in the last to win.

2011 sadly gets forgotten in these discussions as the last quarter was all Geelong, but before 3/4 time there was a plethora of big moments. Travis Cloke nailing two massive bombs, Krakouer, Varcoe’s goal in the first 15 seconds, Bartel’s snap, Tom Hawkins making a name for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The greatest game.

Amazing game, and amazing the crowd too. A similar game is the 1973 preliminary final where Richmond came back to beat Collingwood. Stunning first half, we shouldn't have been close, but again Collingwood lost a game they should have won in that era.

But yeah, even as someone who is not a Carlton or Collingwood fan, watch the 1970 Grand Final. Also, while watching, at a quiet moment have a look how far forward the standing room is in the Southern stand, and also at the city end that huge area of concrete standing room behind the goals - that's how you get 120K in the 'G.

DS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back