Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrong Turn: The Foundation

Misleading title as it has nothing to do with the inbred hillbillies Wrong Turn apart from the fact that they are both set in the Appalachians. A group of friends go hiking and cross paths with a malicious cult. I mean it's not going to win any academy awards or anything but I was entertained.

Typical cliche rubbish acting but thought it was watchable. Different story line

Witches - the remake.

It’s fine, doesn’t break any ground but everyone in it is having a lot of fun and that helps a lot.

It’s genuinely not a kids movie though, it’s pretty terrifying.
Honestly Anne Hathaway is miscast - cast Tilda Swinton and we are talking.

Kate (Netflix)

Yeah good. Predictable but enjoyable. Carried by the ever hot Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Great looking film shot mostly at night in Tokyo.

I liked it more than the most recent of the John Wick films.

I’d give it a 7/10. Good actioner

The Matrix

With all the hype around the new one, I realised I hadn't actually seen the original, or at least not since I was kid. So figured I'd give it a try.

Dear god, it was so lame. People still actually enjoy this thing? I get the whole 'computers will take over' and the cyberpunk look would've been pretty cool in 1999, but even accounting for that it, I don't get it. The acting is terrible, the script is terrible, all of the characters are giant clichés who barely serve any real purpose. In fact the whole thing is just one giant cliché, from having baddies in stupid uniforms to having the female lead, despite barely interacting with the protagonist on any more than the most basic of levels and having zero chemistry with him, falling in love with him by the end, because why else was she there?

This is not a good movie.

inb4 thumbs downs

The Matrix

With all the hype around the new one, I realised I hadn't actually seen the original, or at least not since I was kid. So figured I'd give it a try.

Dear god, it was so lame. People still actually enjoy this thing? I get the whole 'computers will take over' and the cyberpunk look would've been pretty cool in 1999, but even accounting for that it, I don't get it. The acting is terrible, the script is terrible, all of the characters are giant clichés who barely serve any real purpose. In fact the whole thing is just one giant cliché, from having baddies in stupid uniforms to having the female lead, despite barely interacting with the protagonist on any more than the most basic of levels and having zero chemistry with him, falling in love with him by the end, because why else was she there?

inb4 thumbs downs
You're not alone. I don't think this film has aged well at all, and I'm not sure I get the appeal anymore beyond the nostalgia factor.

I finally got around to watching All the President's Men

A classic for a reason. * I love 70s films. They're like a decade full of big budget indie films.

Robert Redford and Dustin "The Predator" Hoffman play the real life Washington Post journalists that crack the Watergate story.

The Matrix

inb4 thumbs downs
Reckon I watched it 18 months ago and couldn’t disagree more.

It doesn’t have the same “HOLY s**t THIS COULD TOTALLY BE REAL” factor it didn’t when I was 12 or 13 (age when it was released) but it holds up remarkably well for a 22 year old movie heavily reliant on vfx. The acting and characters are generally all meant to be avatars for any of us (Keanu’s only teal reason for having a career if we’re honest) and the script, well, personally think the whole thing asks some pretty deep questions about living versus existing, doesn’t really answer them and neither do the sequels.

I’ll rewatch all three pretty soon for the new one so perhaps that’ll be a fresh perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small Engine Repair - 7.5/10. Interesting little movie starting Jon Bernthal, Shea Wigham and writer/director John Pollono. One best to go into knowing as little as possible.

Good recommendation! A good, low budget, gritty movie set in Manchester, New Hampshire. The script and performances were spot on. Some comedic moments between the guys, then some violence, and some heartfelt scenes. Bernthal is obviously the drawcard but I reckon writer, director John Pollono as Frank steals the show.

Chasing Coral (Netflix) - Chronicles, in the style of Chasing Ice, the coral bleaching in 2016 that killed 29% of the Great Barrier Reef. Hard to watch but some beautiful footage of coral interspersed throughout. 8/10.

Ip Man 2 (Netflix) - Chinese martial arts film that tries to impersonate Rocky 4. So much propaganda lol. After being disappointed by Warrior and now this combat films must not be for me. 3/10.

The Matrix

inb4 thumbs downs
1631674803492.png

Reckon I watched it 18 months ago and couldn’t disagree more.

It doesn’t have the same “HOLY sh*t THIS COULD TOTALLY BE REAL” factor it didn’t when I was 12 or 13 (age when it was released) but it holds up remarkably well for a 22 year old movie heavily reliant on vfx. The acting and characters are generally all meant to be avatars for any of us (Keanu’s only teal reason for having a career if we’re honest) and the script, well, personally think the whole thing asks some pretty deep questions about living versus existing, doesn’t really answer them and neither do the sequels.

I’ll rewatch all three pretty soon for the new one so perhaps that’ll be a fresh perspective.
According to the directors, who are now both trans, it's basically an allegory for becoming trans.

Pig (2021) starring Nic Cage.
Really wanted to like this more but it's a pretty hard one to recommend, not sure who the audience is for this one. Could have been really good, but in the end I reckon it should have been a short, hard to say much more for the benefit of those that want to watch it.

Wrath of Man (2021) Jason Statham.
Alright I still reckon Guy Ritchie is pretty good at what he does and this was a fun time. Plus I'm a sucker for Jason Statham shlock and this is like really good schlock.
Also it's great to see Josh Hartnett back in action.
Happy to watch this one again in a year or two with a pizza and a few beers.

Mad Max: Fury Road- how does something that could have been so bad end up being soooo good. When does this ever work? The decades later sequel...not to mention the plot- bonkers, the dialogue- I can imagine Hardy and Theron thinking to themselves “they want me say this?”

But as far as pure imagination and kinetic energy goes I don’t think I’ve seen it’s equal. Miller is just a genius.

Last edited:
The Matrix

inb4 thumbs downs

really-now-dennis-miller.gif

Carried by the ever hot Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

:nerdv1:

It doesn’t have the same “HOLY sh*t THIS COULD TOTALLY BE REAL” factor it didn’t when I was 12 or 13 (age when it was released) but it holds up remarkably well for a 22 year old movie heavily reliant on vfx. The acting and characters are generally all meant to be avatars for any of us (Keanu’s only teal reason for having a career if we’re honest) and the script, well, personally think the whole thing asks some pretty deep questions about living versus existing, doesn’t really answer them and neither do the sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back