WBBL|07

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup Qualifier announced to start on 21 November in Zimbabwe, which is the last day of the WBBL regular season.

So you can pretty much rule out Chamari Atapattu playing for the Scorchers, after all. And disregard my speculation about the West Indies players too, since they'll also be busy. I might update my marquee guesses from earlier in the thread and fill in the holes with some more Indian players.

I might update my marquee guesses from earlier in the thread and fill in the holes with some more Indian players.
And now I have.

Changed my mind on van Niekerk, thinking maybe she's headed to the Stars in light of Alana King's departure.

By the same token, Harmanpreet Kaur and Shikha Pandey perhaps to the Gades as like-for-likes with Satterthwaite/Tahuhu in doubt.

Poonam Yadav to join my unconfirmed suspicion of Smriti Mandhana to the Thunder.

And the other 2 Indian players that would have to be in the frame now, if they weren't before, would be Jemimah Rodrigues and Deepti Sharma. If I'm right about the rest, it'd be a coin flip where they end up between the Hurricanes and the Scorchers as replacements for Hayley Matthews and Atapattu.

Bosch not exactly a transformative signing, pretty much a South African version of Maddy Green, whose main purpose was to come over as moral support for her younger fellow countrywoman. Major question for the Heat remains around the spinners, currently no information about the availability of Jonassen and Kerr.

Over at Adelaide, still yet to see any details about Schutt's next contract. Though worth noting that although she pulled out of the India series because her wife was expecting to give birth towards the end of it, the little bundle has now already entered the world.

Mignon Du Preez (Melbourne Stars legend) is moving to Hobart sadly.

I am getting really concerned by the amount of Stars players leaving despite the minor premiership last season. It isn't like we are replacing them with guns either. It has all gone pear shaped since CA poached Woodhill...

In: Kim Garth
Out: Mignon Du Preez (HUR), Holly Ferling (REN), Alana King (SCO), Trent Woodhill (CA), Katherine Brunt (ENG), Nat Sciver (ENG)

Unsigned: Anna Lanning, Georgie Gall, Erin Osborne, Sophie Day, Bhavisha Devchand, Rosemary Mair

Is there any hope Brunt and Sciver could play the backend of tournament? They might be available for the last 5 matches plus finals if they come to AUS post Pakistan.

Last edited:
The fact that the Australian players weren't allowed "chose not" to play in the Hundred probably suggests there won't be English equivalents coming back the other way this season, even if the Pakistan tour was called off.

Osborne is contracted btw. Sutherland is the last major TBC re-signing for the Stars.

The fact that the Australian players weren't allowed "chose not" to play in the Hundred probably suggests there won't be English equivalents coming back the other way this season, even if the Pakistan tour was called off.

Osborne is contracted btw. Sutherland is the last major TBC re-signing for the Stars.
There were Australians in the hundred

There were Australians in the hundred
Can you really not figure out "Australian players" and "English equivalents" means "those with a national contract", or are you being deliberately obtuse?

If you know there were Australians in the Hundred, I'd expect you to have a vague idea about how it came to be those specific players who aren't first choice for international cricket.

Can you really not figure out "Australian players" and "English equivalents" means "those with a national contract", or are you being deliberately obtuse?

If you know there were Australians in the Hundred, I'd expect you to have a vague idea about how it came to be those specific players who aren't first choice for international cricket.
Erin Burns is in the national team?

Erin Burns is in the national team?
Ok so you're just mistaken, I can forgive that (although I already pointed out earlier in the thread she doesn't have a national contract, so try to keep that in mind for future reference).

Looking at the WBBL schedule and how it would be impacted by covid.

The first 9 games are meant for Sydney. I expect them to be relocated. The first match isn't in Melbourne until early November so that might be okay although there are some matches earlier in Moe- I expect those to be okay if regional Vic is out of lockdown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't like it. 1 v 2 and 3 v 4 is a good method

No it’s not.

Neither is this method though. Should be the IPL system.

1v 2 (quality for grand final)
3v 4 (elimination)

Loser of 1 v2 V winner of 3 v4

Winner qualifies for grand final.

No it’s not.

3v 4 (elimination)

I think it's a safe bet that's what eth-dog meant.

But that doesn't work if the regular season ends on a Sunday and the final is on the following Saturday. In that timeframe, there aren't enough days for the 2nd-placed team to have a home prelim (it would have to be played on Friday night, at the ground where the final will be played the next day).

No it’s not.

3v 4 (elimination)

Um. That is literally the method I was talking about.

I think it's a safe bet that's what eth-dog meant.

But that doesn't work if the regular season ends on a Sunday and the final is on the following Saturday. In that timeframe, there aren't enough days for the 2nd-placed team to have a home prelim (it would have to be played on Friday night, at the ground where the final will be played the next day).

Let’s say the last regular game is on a Sunday, why couldn’t a game be mid week maybe a Wednesday night?

Then you would still have Friday and Saturday for the qualifying finals.

This system today is better than the previous system though I’ll give them that.

Let’s say the last regular game is on a Sunday, why couldn’t a game be mid week maybe a Wednesday night?

Then you would still have Friday and Saturday for the qualifying finals.
Not sure I follow you...

With the new system, the 3v4 and the 2v3/4 finals are mid-week. No game on Friday because the second finalist needs that day off for travel.

But in the IPL system, an extra game is required. Considering those needs for travel days, it can't be done inside CA's timeframe without disadvantaging or depriving the second-ranked team in one way or another.

Not sure I follow you...

With the new system, the 3v4 and the 2v3/4 finals are mid-week. No game on Friday because the second finalist needs that day off for travel.

But in the IPL system, an extra game is required. Considering those needs for travel days, it can't be done inside CA's timeframe without disadvantaging or depriving the second-ranked team in one way or another.

Have the extra game at the same venue- there’s no more or less trace really. Surely you want more rather than less matches. The IPL system is the best one.

Have the extra game at the same venue
That's what I mean by disadvantaging/depriving the second-ranked team. It could be done, just depends on what CA's priorities are.

They have finally decided to work backwards from guaranteeing the two best teams finals at their home grounds, which is something I've always been in favour of.

Of course it probably won't matter this year with border restrictions, but I'm talking bigger picture.

Surely you want more rather than less matches. The IPL system is the best one.
If you're at the top of the tree with practically unlimited resources and a clear window free of international cricket, then sure, go with that system. But such a scenario doesn't apply to the WBBL (which I've always said has too many matches).

I wonder if there is much material out there on WBBL (women's t20 in general) patterns, tactics, etc.

I commented something in recent years, along the lines of (to a family member) that i actually found it the more interesting t20 comp to watch as it wasn't quite as much (at that point in time) about power-hitting. I may have been wrong about that, but outside of Alyssa Healy, Sophie Devine and a few others (not sure if Harmanpreet Kaur was playing) , there didn't seem to be as many sixes for example as in men's t20.

I wonder if there is much material out there on WBBL (women's t20 in general) patterns, tactics, etc.

I commented something in recent years, along the lines of (to a family member) that i actually found it the more interesting t20 comp to watch as it wasn't quite as much (at that point in time) about power-hitting. I may have been wrong about that, but outside of Alyssa Healy, Sophie Devine and a few others (not sure if Harmanpreet Kaur was playing) , there didn't seem to be as many sixes for example as in men's t20.
Well the gap has narrowed considerably in a short period of time, but it's still pretty significant.

In the first WBBL season, a six would be hit about every 120 balls. The next season it was down to 80. It has levelled off at around a six per 50 balls for the last few seasons, though some extenuating circumstances of recent times (for instance, about 20 matches at Blacktown and Drummoyne last year, the two worst scoring grounds used by the league) means it could still be on the move.

Compare that to the men's side of things, sixes in the BBL have reliably been hit once every 20 balls over the same timeframe.

Aside from the usual channels like Cricinfo etc, the easiest/most productive source for bits and pieces like this are probably hypocaust (covers a lot of women's cricket) and sirswampthing (during the Aus summer) on Twitter... or just from me or somebody else on here posting stuff of interest when discovered.

Tasmania to host WBBL under strict protocols
TASMANIA will be the home of the WBBL with the state to host the first 20 games of the season.
Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein made the announcement in parliament this morning and said games will be held at venues across the state.

The first match will be on October 14 between the Sydney Sixers and the Melbourne Stars at Blundstone Arena, with the Hurricanes first game on October 16 against the Renegades also in Hobart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back