Opposition Supporters say the darndest things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but this is funny af. Selwood is the biggest diver in the game and the fact he was nearly in tears over this one was hilariously hypocritical. It was a dive but that made the whole thing even better.

Suck it up, Joel.

1631604553534.png

A comment on the video of Clay Smith reflecting on 2016. What a tosser.

"oh you mean that night the AFL cheated the swans out of a grand final? That one? Yeah, the one were Mike Fitzpatrick called the Swans and said "Swans would never win a grand final with Buddy playing" as retaliation for the planned GWS signing, in addition would screw them on the trades, which they also did. That game? The game that was reffd so badly that the AFLs own ump review board released a report saying it was one of the worst refd matches in memory and publicly denounced it, as "disgraceful" they NEVER do that, before or since, the reffing was that bad... is THAT the game you mean.. the one where the ref that did all the bad calls retired after the match to never ref again.. THAT one.. 2016 was a blight on the AFL. They STOLE that from Sydney and it is one of the most blatant match fixing scandals in our games history"

I love how they complain so much. They did that to themselves. Maybe if they didn't loose to 4th in the first final? Or 7th in the Grand Final? They were 1st! And i'm pretty sure they at least missed 4 shots on goal in that last quarter.
I've always liked Sydney but their supporters are making me dislike them more by the day.

"oh you mean that night the AFL cheated the swans out of a grand final? That one? Yeah, the one were Mike Fitzpatrick called the Swans and said "Swans would never win a grand final with Buddy playing" as retaliation for the planned GWS signing, in addition would screw them on the trades, which they also did. That game? The game that was reffd so badly that the AFLs own ump review board released a report saying it was one of the worst refd matches in memory and publicly denounced it, as "disgraceful" they NEVER do that, before or since, the reffing was that bad... is THAT the game you mean.. the one where the ref that did all the bad calls retired after the match to never ref again.. THAT one.. 2016 was a blight on the AFL. They STOLE that from Sydney and it is one of the most blatant match fixing scandals in our games history"

I love how they complain so much. They did that to themselves. Maybe if they didn't loose to 4th in the first final? Or 7th in the Grand Final? They were 1st! And i'm pretty sure they at least missed 4 shots on goal in that last quarter.
I've always liked Sydney but their supporters are making me dislike them more by the day.
images 4.jpeg

Lol reffed. You can't tell that's from a NRL supporting bogan who jumped on the Shitney success train Luke the fair-weather they are

The use of the word ref says it all.

That's pretty next level insane.
You lost get over it. It wasn't even that poorly umpired.

The 09 preliminary final was worse and you rarely see Doggies supporters complaining.

See this is what happens when people accustomed to special treatment get treated as equals. Same thing is happening with Brisbane supporters now.

That's pretty next level insane.
You lost get over it. It wasn't even that poorly umpired.

The 09 preliminary final was worse and you rarely see Doggies supporters complaining.

See this is what happens when people accustomed to special treatment get treated as equals. Same thing is happening with Brisbane supporters now.
It's the "freekicks need to be equal but also our way" brigade

It’s amazing how the story of the umpiring in 2016, has grown to beat any fishing stories. A couple of free kicks not paid, has grown into a evil story of corruption.

Shows how fragile of mind that club and their supporters are. Try being ripped off of fourth spot by a dodgey time keeper, not allowed to train before a prelim final, because of a politically friendly chief health officer, and four finals away from home. Those little petals would be clutching their pearls.

That's part of the issue. They don't understand the game in the first place then they are used to having everything their own way with COLA and AFL assistance.

Interesting that Brisbane have been nowhere near it once that was reduced.

Whether is #freekickbulldogs or the dumb retelling of 2016. Its all just a symptom of todays society where if things don't go your way its because there is a massive and personal conspiracy against you.

It doesn't matter if that's a football match, an election or getting your morning coffee behind somebody who walked in after you.

Nobody accepts defeat anymore, everything is now a noisy contest to the death.

I love that many Sydney supporters and all of the other haters complain at every opportunity about our Premiership.

I endured 50 years of our club not being spoken about at all unless it was out of pity. Let them all hate us - for we are relevant, a threat, and successful on and off the field. I enjoy that we live in their heads and cause them such angst. Long may it continue.

I want my grandkids to grow up knowing that other clubs are jealous and resentful of the Bulldog's success.

Whether is #freekickbulldogs or the dumb retelling of 2016. Its all just a symptom of todays society where if things don't go your way its because there is a massive and personal conspiracy against you.

It doesn't matter if that's a football match, an election or getting your morning coffee behind somebody who walked in after you.

Careful, buddy.

I know my rights!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take this further to be honest. Most of the ills in today's society can be directly traced back to Sydney and other fans not being able to accept the 2016 GF, and instead blaming an AFL and umpire conspiracy for the loss. When you think of all the things that have happened since October 2016, here and abroad, (not the least of which being 3 Richmond flags) it seems that we are only now slowly starting to come out the other side.

In fact, I contend that normalcy can only begin to be restored by a Dogs win in the GF, thereby bookending this horrific chapter in our lives.

And if we lose the free kick count and still win it was because of where we got the frees (gifted in front of goal) or the other side got meaningless frees in their backline 🙄

And if we lose the free kick count and still win it was because of where we got the frees (gifted in front of goal) or the other side got meaningless frees in their backline 🙄

Let's face it, it won't be enough to just win the premiership. We also need to win the respect of every nuffy on the internet with an axe to grind.

Let's face it, it won't be enough to just win the premiership. We also need to win the respect of every nuffy on the internet with an axe to grind.

Won’t happen. Will still say we shouldn’t have got there in the first place because Brisbane game cheating and Weightman staging. Best to ignore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy has done his own analysis of the umpiring in the 2016 GF:

Let's just agree on one thing: the correct calls are irrelevant. If the free kicks were 100:1 but they were all correctly called then the game was fairly umpired. We want umpires in a game to enforce rules. We want teams to be punished when they break the rules. If you want to know which team was lucky or unlucky then the distribution of the errors is all that matters.

The twitter poster above has identified 22 mistakes in which a free kick was either missed or paid incorrectly. Of those 22 mistakes, 14 favoured us and 8 favoured Sydney. The distribution is 64% to the Dogs and 36% to the Swans.

My opinion is that the Swans supporters have a valid reason to feel aggrieved. I'd feel aggrieved if the tables were turned. However, I still believe we were the better team on the day and I still think we would have won if the umpiring mistakes were more evenly distributed. One thing to keep in mind is that luck always plays a significant factor in a Premiership campaign. Whether it's a charmed run with injuries, a lucky bounce or a favourable umpiring mistake. It doesn't mean we should feel any less proud of that remarkable Premiership.

This acknowledgement is not an excuse for the full-blown conspiracy theorist Swans supporters who label us or the umpires cheats. Those guys are, in a word, idiots.

TLDR: The standard of umpiring in this game was quite bad. It favoured us more often than it favoured Sydney. Acknowledging this doesn't require one to feel any less proud of that glorious '16 flag.

Last edited:

Let's just agree on one thing: the correct calls are irrelevant. If the free kicks were 100:1 but they were all correctly called then the game was fairly umpired. We want umpires in a game to enforce rules. We want teams to be punished when they break the rules. If you want to know which team was lucky or unlucky then the distribution of the errors is all that matters.

The twitter poster above has identified 22 mistakes in which a free kick was either missed or paid incorrectly. Of those 22 mistakes, 14 favoured us and 8 favoured Sydney. The distribution is 64% to the Dogs and 36% to the Swans.

My opinion is that the Swans supporters have a valid reason to feel aggrieved. I'd feel aggrieved if the tables were turned. However, I still believe we were the better team on the day and I still think we would have won if the umpiring mistakes were more evenly distributed. One thing to keep in mind is that luck always plays a significant factor in a Premiership campaign. Whether it's a charmed run with injuries, a lucky bounce or a favourable umpiring mistake. It doesn't mean we should feel any less proud of that remarkable Premiership.

This acknowledgement is not an excuse for the full-blown conspiracy theorists Swans supporters who label us or the umpires cheats. Those guys are, in a word, idiots.

TLDR: The standard of umpiring in this game was quite bad. It favoured us more often than it favoured Sydney. Acknowledging this doesn't require one to feel any less proud of that glorious '16 flag.

Whatever, SwanCity.

This acknowledgement is not an excuse for the full-blown conspiracy theorist Swans supporters who label us or the umpires cheats. Those guys are, in a word, idiots.

A more fun take away is that, according to that analysis, the free kick tally should have actually been 13-5 our way at quarter time (and 30-21 by the end). I suspect the umpiring wouldn't have been any less controversial with those numbers :laughing:

A more fun take away is that, according to that analysis, the free kick tally should have actually been 13-5 our way at quarter time (and 30-21 by the end). I suspect the umpiring wouldn't have been any less controversial with those numbers :laughing:
It is still wrong though.

Now way should JJ have been penalised when Naismith deliberately jumped into him with his foot in quarter 1.

The contact below the knees he claims against McLean prior to half time was the Sydney players doing and the Hannebery one wasn't even below knee contact.

(What an absolutely stupid rule/interpretation.) No sliding in for either incident.

The one not paid against Morris to Papley I agree should have been paid as he did take his legs out.

No mention of the interference to Wood by Parker preventing him flying for the mark preceding the last 2nd qtr goal to Kennedy.

He justifies the free to Clay Smith as high in the 3rd, but was the softest free of the season.

If he is an ex-ump as claimed it is no wonder the umpiring is sub standard, because they can't even get it right from a replay.

If he is an ex-ump as claimed it is no wonder the umpiring is sub standard, because they can't even get it right from a replay.

Is this person really an ex-ump though? There is so much garbage on Twitter, and this site seems to get used as some authority on umpiring decisions when the author is anonomous.
There is also a huge range in people who have umpired and at what level. Where they part of the AFL system and familiar with how the rules were being instructed to be governed that season, or did they umpire EDFL reserves games?

If they are an ex official, they should put their name to it.

Im with the Dudemeister above, it's just another opinion that cant change the result.

It is still wrong though.

Now way should JJ have been penalised when Naismith deliberately jumped into him with his foot in quarter 1.

The contact below the knees he claims against McLean prior to half time was the Sydney players doing and the Hannebery one wasn't even below knee contact.

(What an absolutely stupid rule/interpretation.) No sliding in for either incident.

The one not paid against Morris to Papley I agree should have been paid as he did take his legs out.

No mention of the interference to Wood by Parker preventing him flying for the mark preceding the last 2nd qtr goal to Kennedy.

He justifies the free to Clay Smith as high in the 3rd, but was the softest free of the season.

It's impossible to analyse an AFL umpiring performance perfectly because many rules in AFL are grey. Our black is often an opposition supporter's white.

Regardless, it's done, people really need to move on from a small, mostly indecisive part of a game which occured 5 years ago.

Were there some dodgy decisions? Sure, as with any AFL game. Was the umpiring as bad as Sydney supporters say, or as perfect as our supporters say? Highly doubtful. Will the result ever change? No :)

Is this person really an ex-ump though? There is so much garbage on Twitter, and this site seems to get used as some authority on umpiring decisions when the author is anonomous.
There is also a huge range in people who have umpired and at what level. Where they part of the AFL system and familiar with how the rules were being instructed to be governed that season, or did they umpire EDFL reserves games?

If they are an ex official, they should put their name to it.

Im with the Dudemeister above, it's just another opinion that cant change the result.

I think you're absolutely right to take it with a grain of salt. This person can't claim to be an authority on umpiring while remaining under the cover of anonymity. Best to assume it's just a random footy fan with a lot of free time. If you want to assess the quality of his work then go through the footage yourself and compare your notes to his. Like 99.99% of us, I am way too lazy to do the work this guy has done. I've skimmed it and from memory I would agree with almost all of his assessments. It's by no means authoritative and we can each choose to agree or disagree on whether it has any value. I personally think it's a fairly reasonable assessment and it marries up pretty well with what I think I saw in that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back