Free Agency Mabior Chol [joins Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems crazy but I guess it gives them a backup ruck and tall forward for the next 4 years so may help balance the list abit. Given that it’s 4 years it’s hard to imagine it’ll be very big dollars per year.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
4 years unbelievable.

No wonder GCS can't shrug the 'retirement fund' jokes.

I'd have either delisted him or offered him 1 year. Had all the attributes that you can teach, but none of the mongrel to be truly B grade or better. You simply cannot instill that in a person unless you have them snorting meth pre-game.

Wish him the best all the same. Enjoyed seeing the yellow stripe dyed into his hair, and can kick beautifully for goal.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
4 years unbelievable.

I'd have either delisted him or offered him 1 year. Had all the attributes that you can teach, but none of the mongrel to be truly B grade or better. You simply cannot instill that in a person unless you have them snorting meth pre-game.

Wish him the best all the same. Enjoyed seeing the yellow stripe dyed into his hair, and can kick beautifully for goal.

It’s a shame but this is what we have to do in order for players to move to our club.
We offered ccj more and he still rejected it.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s a shame but this is what we have to do in order for players to move to our club.
We offered ccj more and he still rejected it.

Well players either want security (money and games) or success imo. Rarely do they move for a lifestyle ('plz get me out of the AFL bubble' sort of crap).

The 'home' factor will always be a big deal for these guys. They are young and can play in most states, so why not stay near family? This is worse than ever due to covid and probably motivated Chol.

Otherwise I'd personally love to play and live up there. Way more interesting than brisvegas, geelol or crapelaide.

4 years unbelievable.

If he can start to have some mongrel in his game consistently Chol can be a genuine star. As other tigers fans have said, all the skills. But if he remains timid/non-aggressive he'll always have cameos, but rarely star.

Having said that this year he started to show some fight, which is a great sign.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Chol is the icing on top type of player. He's not the type that stands tall under pressure. Good on him and his manager for getting such a good deal but he's not what GC need. He's been a tease for 6 years now and will keep being a tease until he's delisted. Majak Daw mkII

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
The length of the deal is irrelevant to the compo, which is mostly based on average wage over the deal. Sounds odd, but is how it's done. Age also comes into it which might help.

Not quite. Length is considered a factor when the contracts are the same/similar value per year.

For example, a 4-year deal at $400,000 is worth higher compensation than a 2-year deal at $400,000.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Going against the grain, it's a solid pick-up. May have overpaid but they were running with rucks such as 191cm Burgess, an also undersized (but slightly bigger) Graham, and a retired Zac Smith.

Witts is 29 and coming off an ACL. He's an immovable force in ruck contests due to his size and strength but remains to be seen how his mobility is.

Day is back to struggling with injury. Corbett is a third tall forward. Townsend is very average. King is too good as a forward and too valuable to use as a 2nd ruck.

Chol fits right in as 2nd ruck/2nd tall forward.

Pies got 12 disposals, 10 hitouts and 1.25 goals a game out of Darcy Cameron. That'd be the aim with Chol. He's not far off that with more limited opportunity.

Clearly in the minority here, but I think signing Chol for four years is actually entirely reasonable. Even if he doesn't stay in the best 22 over those four years, he's proven himself as a more than capable back-up ruckman, and capable back-up rucks are an increasingly valuable commodity. I've seen supporters of a number of teams concerned about a doomsday scenario where their number 1 ruck goes down.

I'd take Chol for four years over almost all of the project rucks that were signed for 18 months in the mid-season draft, who, historically speaking, will all probably end up getting another year or two themselves.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Crazy move considering what Richmond supporters have posted about this bloke.
As others have said, he was a 1 year prove it deal type player.
4 years is quite staggering. However, with high risk comes high reward, because he has some great attributes and abilities for a man his size.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seems like Richmond have won every trade

Obviously Richmond ended up with the better players. When they got Lynch in free agency and Prestia for pick 6.

But I think the actual trading has been fair between the 2 clubs
Suns would be happy with B.Ellis, Chol and Markov - only giving up pick 40 in 2021 draft for those 3 players.
Slid back 7 positions in the 3rd round in 2019 to get Miles and C.Ellis. Obviously those 2 did virtually nothing on field, but I imagine Miles would have been positive from a training / character perspective

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He is a good kid with a very decent work ethic, which hopefully can rub off on his teammates up there.

Maybe 4 years is excessive by a year, bur Gold Coast probably do have to pay overs to get good players to their club.
I don't think we could honestly be accused of not working hard enough off field.
When Steven May was one of the leaders - definitely.
Not with our current lot.

Chol will be a good pick up.
I must be one of the few RFC fans who reckons he has plenty to offer.
Showed real signs this year of becoming the player we all know he can be.
Yes he is inconsistent, but that is in some way to do with the fact he doesn't really have a position.
If he can get some continuity in the same position (ie forward), he may become more consistent.
Of course one of the major appeals in him is his ability to play a number of positions. Heck, he is so agile he could almost play on a wing.
Beautiful kick too.
Also a very popular member of the team. Practical joker and genuinely loved around the cluib.
Four years is a risk, but that's what the Suns have to do to attract players.
I wish him well.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
All the best for big marbs, 4 years at that money is something too good to refuse and while sad to see him go I wish him nothing but the best. Very athletic and a sublime kick for goal he just needs a bit of mongrel about him. Also needs to better understand where to position himself which I feel is probably the number 1 reason holding him back but understandable seeing he wasn't brought up on the game.
Good luck Marbs, think you might need 3 phones up on the goldy.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1633044910066.png

I cant believe the crappy posts from so many tigers supporters.

He is about to enter his prime, has shown improvement year on year, I think he can be a player for the suns.

Legend of a bloke and wish him all the best.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back