Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Board members are there to make informed decisions to improve us as a business and as a franchise, and realistically people shouldn’t know who you are. Just do the work behind closed doors and make progress to better us as a club.

She dug her own grave with that Instagram post, absolutely zero need for it and as stated, she can be a closet WB supporter but be entrenched in Collingwood dialogue only, and it isn’t her first slip up. Move on, next up.

Board members are there to make informed decisions to improve us as a business and as a franchise, and realistically people shouldn’t know who you are. Just do the work behind closed doors and make progress to better us as a club.

She dug her own grave with that Instagram post, absolutely zero need for it and as stated, she can be a closet WB supporter but be entrenched in Collingwood dialogue only, and it isn’t her first slip up. Move on, next up.
To be honest I'm a bit perplexed about the reaction to that Insta post. It seemed as much of an anti-Port sentiment as it was a pro-Bulldogs one. Isn't part of being a footy supporter barracking against your hated teams in finals?

Why do you think boards are full of members who 99% of us have no idea where they come from or who they are? Theyre chosen on expertise and not their social standing. Their job is to make the decisions away from the spotlight, clearly she was misinformed.

Millions of dollars of funding suggest that both Browne nor the current board would want that to occur. To meet funding requirements O’Donnells replacement will be female.
If that ia the case and the strategy then pick one that is eligible and be open. We have picked a woman not because she is the best candidate but because it gets us funding.

Mandatory Pies tattoos for each Board Member. If you're in, you're all in.

LOL …

SPQR-Tattoo-38.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I'm a bit perplexed about the reaction to that Insta post. It seemed as much of an anti-Port sentiment as it was a pro-Bulldogs one. Isn't part of being a footy supporter barracking against your hated teams in finals?

She’s a Collingwood board member. Can you find any sources of WB board members posting about their win? I couldn’t even tell you who is on their board, let alone if they made note of the win.
She had no need to post that. Clearly her intentions and objectives are elsewhere, misaligned away from the Collingwood role. Not to mention, she wasn’t even eligible for the role anyway. Just an absolute mess from the start.

i remember my foot massager before the games last weekend, asking me who i wanted to win... "anyone but Port. i couldnt stand them winning a premiership"

Bridie's gone - ok, fine with that. She's welcome to make her choice to leave or stay irrespective of the circumstances.

Let's see now whether we can actually follow the rules outlined in the club's constitution and actually get someone in who meets the minimum membership requirements before they are appointed or voted onto the board.

It would be nice if it was also a actual Collingwood supporter who has enough common sense to not make gaffes in on tv/radio, during press conferences, or on social media and who also actually supports the club and has its best interests at heart, rather than seeing a board position primarily as a CV filler* and opportunity to push their own agenda*, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and just focus on dotting the i's and crossing the t's first.

It's a somewhat harsh assessment I know but I'm really just over management at our club making idiots of themselves and just want a nice stable group of solid citizens who support the club and have its best interests at heart on our board to help drive the club forward whilst staying out of the media headlines.

* there is nothing wrong with either of these motivations for the record, but it's hard to imagine someone would primarily have the best interests of the core business of the club at heart when their motivations appear to lie elsewhere.

Nobody is having a go at her about being a WB supporter, as stated it is normal to follow a different team and be hired at a separate club.
She’s a board member, her role is away from the media and nobody should give a flying toot about what she gets upto. But when you are hired despite being ineligible, then Korda twists the rule book for you, you are immediately in the spotlight.
The worst thing she could’ve done is then openly admit she’s a WB supporter on her socials and flout about it and she then gets caught out about in the media.
Honestly it was just dumb and unnecessary, misinformed clearly, and she should’ve known better given all the rubbish that is happening with our board as it stands. Way too much noise going on and she’s added fuel to a fire that hasn’t stopped burning. That’s the issue.

Good riddance, woke agendas are not for me! Best, most aligned and passionate and brightest for me every day of the week!

‘Woke agendas’ - whatever that means - are something you need to get used to. Cashed up sponsors want to align with clubs who look good, and act good, in the ‘enlightened’ space. Sponsors have brands to protect, consumers to entice, and shareholders to satisfy.

Many Pies fans might prefer the club to concentrate on footy, maybe even men’s footy only, but those days are gone. We will continue to engage with social issues and programs, even if some fans don’t like it or care to see it.

Nobody is having a go at her about being a WB supporter, as stated it is normal to follow a different team and be hired at a separate club.
She’s a board member, her role is away from the media and nobody should give a flying toot about what she gets upto. But when you are hired despite being ineligible, then Korda twists the rule book for you, you are immediately in the spotlight.
The worst thing she could’ve done is then openly admit she’s a WB supporter on her socials and flout about it and she then gets caught out about in the media.
Honestly it was just dumb and unnecessary, misinformed clearly, and she should’ve known better given all the rubbish that is happening with our board as it stands. Way too much noise going on and she’s added fuel to a fire that hasn’t stopped burning. That’s the issue.
She was appointed to the board within the Clubs constitution.
The rule book was not twisted.
Do not understand why people keep running with that…already proven incorrect.
Some fact checking would be nice.

She was appointed to the board within the Clubs constitution.
The rule book was not twisted.
Do not understand why people keep running with that…already proven incorrect.
Some fact checking would be nice.

Section 30a of the Magpies’ constitution states that board members can only be elected if “he (or she) shall have been a member of the club for at least 24 months immediately prior to nomination”.

Section 30b states this requirement can be waived at a general meeting. A general meeting must have 75 members present and entitled to vote for a quorum.

Collingwood on Wednesday evening said Dr O’Donnell would work with the board without voting rights until the annual general meeting to be held in early 2022, where a motion would be put forward to waive the requirement of 24 months’ membership. If that passes she can then be appointed to the board with voting rights.

She was basically an Ex officio until proven (voted) otherwise. In that sense, her time at the board was basically useless.
In that sense, in my eyes she was ineligible until she would be made eligible to actually achieve anything in her role.

‘Woke agendas’ - whatever that means - are something you need to get used to. Cashed up sponsors want to align with clubs who look good, and act good, in the ‘enlightened’ space. Sponsors have brands to protect, consumers to entice, and shareholders to satisfy.

Many Pies fans might prefer the club to concentrate on footy, maybe even men’s footy only, but those days are gone. We will continue to engage with social issues and programs, even if some fans don’t like it or care to see it.
Yes they do.....but....there's also an undercurrent running against preachy corporations. We're seeing it in the USA and while I have no qualms about anything the club has done so far, nailing our colours to one side of what is becoming an increasingly political mast may not prove to be particularly enlightened in the medium to long term.
I don't think we've fallen for that trap. I think there is plenty of space for us to grow as an organisation without running a "woke agenda" but it is something to be mindful of. Appointing people to positions because of their gender, race or sexual preference may be a bridge too far. Appointing people to a board position to unlock funding reeks of tokenism and that's when people rightly or wrongly become uncomfortable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back