Player Watch #40: Callum Coleman-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing by the club tbh.

Spent too long hanging onto Jack who is finished - useless if he doesn't mark the ball.
Turn it up mate, Riewoldt just came fifth in the Jack Dyer Medal, third in the Coleman medal and continues to be one of our better players.

I completely accept the club needs to have a Riewoldt replacement ready but Jack has continued to perform to high standard.

CCJ would’ve of course played more football if he was at a different club but I also feel he could’ve been playing over Chol during the end of last season and into the finals last year after Soldo did his knee and when Lynch got injured for last years quarter final. However he was suspended at the time and that was no one but his own fault. He’s also had his fair share of injury niggles over the years that prevent him from being able to have a run of games or to be selected.

nothing now if he’s requested a trade. Get it done move on

Has he though? All reports are he is deciding on Nth or Rich. Of course you re-look at your offer if he hasn't requested a trade yet, thats if u want to keep him

Turn it up mate, Riewoldt just came fifth in the Jack Dyer Medal, third in the Coleman medal and continues to be one of our better players.

I completely accept the club needs to have a Riewoldt replacement ready but Jack has continued to perform to high standard.

CCJ would’ve of course played more football if he was at a different club but I also feel he could’ve been playing over Chol during the end of last season and into the finals last year after Soldo did his knee and when Lynch got injured for last years quarter final. However he was suspended at the time and that was no one but his own fault. He’s also had his fair share of injury niggles over the years that prevent him from being able to have a run of games or to be selected.

Jack had a good year but he will hit a cliff very very suddenly. We saw moments this year where we got a glimpse of what that will look like. he is past his "best before " date & his expiry date is just TBA now, we need to be prepared for it

I agree that JR being shot already is an overstep... but so is the easy response to say he has been performing at a high level ALL year...

30 of his 51 came in the first half of the season.

6 came in his 300th which was one game out of the box for him.
his next best in the second half of the season was 3 (only once) and that was in the dead rubber against the Hawks.
Which meant for the other 9 games in the back half, he kicked 12 goals.
In the back half, bar the 300th, he looked old, slow and nowhere near as agile as he can be.

A profile similar to Tax Walker, kicked al LOT o goals early, when everyone was still working out how to defend with the Stand Rule, and the older smarter forwards cashed in, then it dried up late for most of them.

As I said, he certainly wasn't over the cliff yet, but he is right on the edge. And he looked like he lost all his athleticism by the end of the year.
There is every chance he falls away dramatically next season. Part of the reason I have said on numerous threads, to keep him fresh and agile, we need the Shane Mumford approach, play 1-2 games then have a spell, no matter what.

Disappointing by the club tbh.

Spent too long hanging onto Jack who is finished - useless if he doesn't mark the ball.

What im more disappointed in is the club could not sell themselves to him, irrelevant to Jack staying on. Good clubs don't lose players based on other list decisions - they sell the dream to co-exist.

I agree that JR being shot already is an overstep... but so is the easy response to say he has been performing at a high level ALL year...

30 of his 51 came in the first half of the season.

6 came in his 300th which was one game out of the box for him.
his next best in the second half of the season was 3 (only once) and that was in the dead rubber against the Hawks.
Which meant for the other 9 games in the back half, he kicked 12 goals.
In the back half, bar the 300th, he looked old, slow and nowhere near as agile as he can be.

A profile similar to Tax Walker, kicked al LOT o goals early, when everyone was still working out how to defend with the Stand Rule, and the older smarter forwards cashed in, then it dried up late for most of them.

As I said, he certainly wasn't over the cliff yet, but he is right on the edge. And he looked like he lost all his athleticism by the end of the year.
There is every chance he falls away dramatically next season. Part of the reason I have said on numerous threads, to keep him fresh and agile, we need the Shane Mumford approach, play 1-2 games then have a spell, no matter what.

Jack had no middle road this year. He was 50% poor + 50% excellent.

The reality that he was still able to be elite half the time cannot be viewed without the context that the other half of the time he was below AFL level and provided nil in regards to positive impact if he was not marking and kicking goals. Jack in the past was 50% excellent, 40% great, >10% poor.

To get his good, you are going to have to eat some s**t along the way now. Its not an insult as much as just an observation to where he is at, which is very typical of ageing superstars who have copped a heavy load - and Jack's load is only second to that of Trent Cotchin

All of a sudden ruck depth is a big concern.

Nankervis mounting injury history
Soldo off an ACL
Ryan/Colina - completely unproven

Big, big concerns for 2022.

We’ve got 2 x bonafide and quality rucks who have proven they can carry the ruck solo. You can’t have a list built on the ‘chance’ your first 2 rucks are injured at the same time….. no ‘quality’ rucks are going to sit third in line.

We’ve got Samson Ryan as back-up and also Balta capable of rucking if desperate. And maybe we will pickup some cheap insurance like Smith from Brisbane who will cost us nothing.

I’m not concerned about our rucks at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Chol is no loss for me flash in the pan to much while CCJ doesn't want to be here see you later.

By your own description he is clearly a loss. "Flash in the pans" have moments of elite footy and he did provide that - possibly helping us win 1 additional game overall. He was a high level back up, at his worst.

We are replacing him with nothing but untried kids who will take 2 years to physically get up to speed - there is no doubt him leaving hurts our chances for current success by quite a lot IMO - our list has gaping holes in it now, its looking a lot like swiss cheese tbh - missing KPF depth, missing reliably fit ruckman - KP backmen depth or continuity. We were already lacking midfielders and good clearance players. We were already lacking AFL quality small forwards, as well as missing 1 reliable AFL level wingman.

I honestly think some of our supporters need to take their fan-pants off and look at this list and realise that it is all role players and ageing or injury prone pillar players. If we can have a year where Toby, Soldo, Lynch, Riewoldt, Balta, Vloss, Grime & Prestia can all stay fit and not fall into concerning form slumps, we should still be very competitive. Anything short of that though and we could be anywhere from top 4 to bottom 4.

Last edited:
All true and if he'd played 29 games and/or in one of the flags pick 20 would probably be too thin. You'd be looking at 12-16 areas.

As it stands he's only played 9 games, and had a significant discipline issue too. I reckon our future second works best for both lists.

We're finishing bottom eight next year.

If we have a half decent run with injuries we are not finishing bottom-8 with a list containing 19 quality players :

Martin
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Lynch
Vlastuin
Grimes
Prestia
Baker
Edwards
Short
D Rioli
Soldo
Balta
Lambert
Nank
Bolton
Graham
Broad
Stack

We’ve got 2 x bonafide and quality rucks who have proven they can carry the ruck solo. You can’t have a list built on the ‘chance’ your first 2 rucks are injured at the same time….. no ‘quality’ rucks are going to sit third in line.

We’ve got Samson Ryan as back-up and also Balta capable of rucking if desperate. And maybe we will pickup some cheap insurance like Smith from Brisbane who will cost us nothing.

Nyuon played all his footy as a junior ruck, push comes to shove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don’t we just match North’s offer then and put our balls on the line and see if he becomes what North think he will become

to me he is too much like Vickery, Flash in the pan and then you think about to become great and then nothing again etc

I always seen more upside to Chol with his xfactor he just needed to be tougher in marking contests but I can understand his desire to be closer to home given the world we live in now

I think we are okay if Nank and/or Soldo at least one is available in every game for 2022 we can get by. But if they both miss we are cooked for that game. Ryan is a mile off being ready to be a full time AFL ruck. Balta looks like he could be a stop gap, however that robs us of our best big KPD for whatever time he's needed in the ruck.

We hope for no dual injuries.

Better than this would be to trade 40, 44 and the likely Chol compo of 45 for the Doggies pick. Might be wishful thinking but I still believe CCJ is worth pick 20. If both of those hypotheticals fall into place it could leave us with a nice draft bounty of 7, 15, 17/18, 20, 26 & 28. Lots to work with or even more to regenerate the list with.
The more I look at it, the more I realise we are no chance of getting 20 for CCJ.
Put what he's worth aside, North Melbourne would be complete idiots to give that up with all the leverage they have here.

Yeah plus as a club we like to talk about accepting flaws, saying we have forgiven them for the mistakes and letting players being themselves but than go on to try and use something like the Gold Coast incident as some kind of tool to guilt him into staying would make the club look hypocritical and pretty unprofessional

If he wants to leave let him go no point having a player who’s heart isn’t in it

Simple fact is, that for all this supposed 'loyalty' and 'owing the club', very few AFL footballers have anything to do with their former club once their playing time is over. They may attend the odd past players event, or reunion to be with their mates, but most gravitate back to their childhood or pre-AFL club, or take up golf or bowls, or concentrate on their kids' sport or interests.
There is this myth on here that footballers are like fans or - God help them - Big Footy posters, who eat, sweat and breathe Richmond or whichever club. It's their JOB and they don't necessarily want to discuss footy with friends and loved ones in their downtime.
As an employer, Richmond and CCJ owe each other nothing, just as I owe my employer nothing. I give them my time and effort, I get paid - THE END!
And agree Muddie, a player whose heart isn't in it and wants to be gone, is better off being gone.

If we have a half decent run with injuries we are not finishing bottom-8 with a list containing 19 quality players :

Martin
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Lynch
Vlastuin
Grimes
Prestia
Baker
Edwards
Short
D Rioli
Soldo
Balta
Lambert
Nank
Bolton
Graham
Broad
Stack

Should be 20.
We have that quality 'space guarder' that no other team has in Castagna.
Never under estimate the quality of those who guard space for a living.

The more I look at it, the more I realise we are no chance of getting 20 for CCJ.
Put what he's worth aside, North Melbourne would be complete idiots to give that up with all the leverage they have here.
True - but - they did bring Polec in for a 5 year, norf of $600k per annum arrangement.... :huh:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back