Toast Presidency and The Board

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Section 30a of the Magpies’ constitution states that board members can only be elected if “he (or she) shall have been a member of the club for at least 24 months immediately prior to nomination”.

Section 30b states this requirement can be waived at a general meeting. A general meeting must have 75 members present and entitled to vote for a quorum.

Collingwood on Wednesday evening said Dr O’Donnell would work with the board without voting rights until the annual general meeting to be held in early 2022, where a motion would be put forward to waive the requirement of 24 months’ membership. If that passes she can then be appointed to the board with voting rights.

She was basically an Ex officio until proven (voted) otherwise. In that sense, her time at the board was basically useless.
In that sense, in my eyes she was ineligible until she would be made eligible to actually achieve anything in her role.
You have just proven your initial post to be wrong (as I had pointed out).

Why else would you select somebody that it’s ineligible and not aligned to the objectives of the organisation ?

She was eligible. If she wasn’t she wouldn’t have been on our board and F.Galbally (for one) would have organised to have her turfed out. Sure, she served in line with article 50(c) instead of article 25(a), but she wasn’t be any means the first.

And sure, the club shouldn’t be invoking that article for just anyone.

But when you get somebody who is a trained medical doctor familiar with sports science, in an organisation that has been crushed by injuries over the last decade.

+ ex elite athlete who’d competed at the highest levels of her sport and had represented her country. Seems relevant?

+ senior bureaucrat in government, a desirable skill to have on a board that regularly engages with government.

+ advocate for women’s sport, which whether you think that is woke or not, it is an objective of our organisation.

It would seem she was eminently qualified. Can you name anybody on our board who would seem more qualified? (Apart from maybe Licuria?)

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Unfortunately, I haven’t been keeping up with the board & presidency etc.

Do we want Korda or Browne? Pros & Cons?
Korda is leaving the gig next season regardless, but Browne is all kinds of dodgy. Apparently preaching about bringing democracy back to Collingwood (funny, given he's a mate of Eddie) yet wants to become president via a backroom board deal. I personally want nothing to do with Browne, but Korda is not particularly inspiring either.

Murphy was my ideal choice, but he doesn't want the gig. Maybe Licca will be the next prez

Kings_Gambit

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
The key question now is whether Ed can convince the voting members that they're not needed. I think the current board can be removed and replaced without an election but are the voting members going to live with it.
Ed who? You can’t mean Eddie McGuire. He has left? Please explain.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

Neither have I really.

I just want a member voted board at the agm and then a united board coming out of that agm working towards a common goal. If they have a true common goal then they will choose the right president.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Yes they do.....but....there's also an undercurrent running against preachy corporations. We're seeing it in the USA and while I have no qualms about anything the club has done so far, nailing our colours to one side of what is becoming an increasingly political mast may not prove to be particularly enlightened in the medium to long term.
I don't think we've fallen for that trap. I think there is plenty of space for us to grow as an organisation without running a "woke agenda" but it is something to be mindful of. Appointing people to positions because of their gender, race or sexual preference may be a bridge too far. Appointing people to a board position to unlock funding reeks of tokenism and that's when people rightly or wrongly become uncomfortable.

In the past, men were appointed to positions for their golf game or because they could drink their well-connected mates under the bar. We've had a lot of people say that they want skilful people on the board. We've just been through a position of transition from Eddie and we had a bloke as president who has experience in these situations....and yet people still didnt like him because he looked weird when he spoke in public. So much for appropriate skills.

My point being, that it's fair enough to start with blunt instruments like having 50% representation by women on the board, as long as they can make a contribution. Other clubs have a checklist for perspective board members and that might be useful, but you're never going to be able to put an accurate measure on a person's ability to do a job before they do it..... and this going for the coaching position too...sometimes you have to suck it and see.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ed who? You can’t mean Eddie McGuire. He has left? Please explain.

don't fret.... we hurt him and he went away....but then he took some time and realised that we needed him back...that we couldnt live without him. If you look at the end of the bible you will find the story..... the world will come to an end (the pie board will collapse) and eddie will return on a heavenly chariot and guide us to the promised land...

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood

I suspect at the end of the day we'll end up with Browne working with most of the current board.
Reading between the lines, particularly with Murphy's statements today, Browne will be President. Korda is looking to hand over and Murphy doesn't want it.
Browne doesn't want an EGM, nor does the board.
The fly in the ointment according to Murphy, is Francis Galbally, who appears determined to force an EGM at any cost.
In the absence of a third option (Licuria?) Browne would appear destined for the big chair.
He is media savvy, articulate, has political and media connections and is a notorious back room operator. He has no agenda to speak of and has not publicly named a ticket - this leads me to the view that he doesn't want an EGM.
What will likely happen is that Browne and possibly 1 or 2 others will be elected to the board at an AGM.
When the dust is settled, the board will choose its President which will come down to a choice between Browne and withe a lame duck "transitional" Korda or possibly Licuria. FWIW in the existing board's favour are a
  • more collegiate style of management - letting the bakers bake
  • some stability in a time of massive change
  • big ticket issues, (FD) have been handled well since Ed left

Kings_Gambit

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
don't fret.... we hurt him and he went away....but then he took some time and realised that we needed him back...that we couldnt live without him. If you look at the end of the bible you will find the story..... the world will come to an end (the pie board will collapse) and eddie will return on a heavenly chariot and guide us to the promised land...
Lol I am not fretting, just pointing out nonsense. You have followed up with more.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the past, men were appointed to positions for their golf game or because they could drink their well-connected mates under the bar. We've had a lot of people say that they want skilful people on the board. We've just been through a position of transition from Eddie and we had a bloke as president who has experience in these situations....and yet people still didnt like him because he looked weird when he spoke in public. So much for appropriate skills.
All those years of training gone to waste. I did so many hard yards

Yes they do.....but....there's also an undercurrent running against preachy corporations. We're seeing it in the USA and while I have no qualms about anything the club has done so far, nailing our colours to one side of what is becoming an increasingly political mast may not prove to be particularly enlightened in the medium to long term.
I don't think we've fallen for that trap. I think there is plenty of space for us to grow as an organisation without running a "woke agenda" but it is something to be mindful of. Appointing people to positions because of their gender, race or sexual preference may be a bridge too far. Appointing people to a board position to unlock funding reeks of tokenism and that's when people rightly or wrongly become uncomfortable.

I agree the balance needs to be there, and ‘tokenism’ is a loaded concept. But we still have some way to go with all our appointments to ensure they are merit based.

Our recent coaching appointments will hopefully stand up to that scrutiny (they appear from outside to be good).

But the CFC Board has for too long been the plaything of rich and connected Collingwood fans, and/or mates of whoever is President.

I don’t mind bringing in people from outside this privileged circle, and I welcomed the O’Donnell appointment on that basis. That’s it’s gone to sh*t is disappointing to say the least.

I’m hating this upheaval at Board level, and the media salivating over it. It’s classic Collingwood! Just please let us get it sorted and settled ASAP, so we don’t have to work ourselves up into a frenzy over the Board makeup and the President.

Paul.

Club Legend
Feb 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You’re having a lend, yeah?

Not at all. Players we recruit grow up supporting other clubs but we don't launch into them questioning their allegiance. Pendles didn't grow up a Collingwood fan. We recruit coaches that bled for their previous clubs.

Why is acquiring a clearly qualified board member any different? What do you honestly think they're gonna do to the joint?

Board members need to be effective at running things first, not barracking for them. Hiring supporters to run a club isn't always the best approach (look at Carlton). She can support whoever she wants for all I care as long as she is an effective administrator. Everything about her credentials proved that.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree the balance needs to be there, and ‘tokenism’ is a loaded concept. But we still have some way to go with all our appointments to ensure they are merit based.

Our recent coaching appointments will hopefully stand up to that scrutiny (they appear from outside to be good).

But the CFC Board has for too long been the plaything of rich and connected Collingwood fans, and/or mates of whoever is President.

I don’t mind bringing in people from outside this privileged circle, and I welcomed the O’Donnell appointment on that basis. That’s it’s gone to sh*t is disappointing to say the least.

I’m hating this upheaval at Board level, and the media salivating over it. It’s classic Collingwood! Just please let us get it sorted and settled ASAP, so we don’t have to work ourselves up into a frenzy over the Board makeup and the President.
Totally agree.
I think she has been crucified - the questions are why and by whom?

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Not at all. Players we recruit grow up supporting other clubs but we don't launch into them questioning their allegiance. Pendles didn't grow up a Collingwood fan. We recruit coaches that bled for their previous clubs.

Why is acquiring a clearly qualified board member any different? What do you honestly think they're gonna do to the joint?

Board members need to be effective at running things first, not barracking for them. Hiring supporters to run a club isn't always the best approach (look at Carlton). She can support whoever she wants for all I care as long as she is an effective administrator. Everything about her credentials proved that.

this is very logical and obviously inappropriate...

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Your post got me thinking. What if Melbourne was playing the Pies next weekend for the premiership and Pendles was lined up after the siren kicking to win the match.... and of course he is a boyhood Melbourne supporter and would have lived 18 years with the heartache of not winning a premiership....

Would people trust him to kick the goal or would he slip and achieve his boyhood dream?

Back