List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually don't mind bringing in a couple of older blokes in Talia and Wallis for free whilst keeping our picks and going hard at the draft.

Allows us to try and sneak one more flag out of the current group, whilst kick-starting our rebuild.

Im all for sneaking a flag - but you are not watching enough footy if you think Talia & Wallis are sneaking you anything other than time before the arse falls out completely. They will bring you nothing in regards to meaningful success. Melbourne supporters must be pissing their pants at talk of us being able to "sneak a flag" by adding 2 delisted players

I actually don't mind bringing in a couple of older blokes in Talia and Wallis for free whilst keeping our picks and going hard at the draft.

Allows us to try and sneak one more flag out of the current group, whilst kick-starting our rebuild.
Totally agree.

The difference with that and what the Hawks did is that the Hawks used their draft hand and paid heavy for established players, players they probably overrated like O'Meara.

If we can get some quality to fix some holes for almost nothing, and keep our stacked draft hand, both can improve us immediately and the latter can set us up for the future.

Eg. Talia, maybe Wallis, and maybe Tom Mitchell (if cheap) would immediately give us a good replacement for Astbury, a handy fwd/mid that, whilst strangely on the fringe now has actually been a solid goal kicker, and a midfielder capable of lots of possessions who we'd be lying to ourselves if we said we didn't need right now. Then, the draft hand will set us up for the future but, with some luck, our two first rounders are actually ready to go now and might even improve us, adding some flair and speed that perks up the other blokes.

If we let go of the picks for Cerra then yeah, we'd be borderline following the Hawks model, although Cerra is a bit younger so that's a plus. But personally no to Cerra anyway, not what we need, I'd be more keen on Anderson from GC if we were to try and pry out a young gun midfielder.

Happy to some faith in the people behind closed doors to make a quality list assesment and make decions as needed. Not all high draft picks make it. For a club that faced a 37 year abyss to come back from the ashes and win 3 of last 4 flags speaks volumes of the shift in professionalism and culture. Those dark days are over. This group has one more flag in them

Talia isn’t going to join us just to be depth, he will be best 22. Over Miller. It’s a stupid list decision.
Miller has played one game and all of a sudden, a lot are talking about him being a lock at full back. He played reasonably well for mine, but Turn it up!! Talia, if he’s medically sound, is a no brainer. Would lock down (hate those words!!!) our full back position for at least 2 seasons IMO

Again has there been an acknowledgement from anyone at the club that he is leaving?
His manager is playing games trying to squeeze extras off us don't think he wants to leave. But he wants to tread carefully as we don't sit down. Like I said take his 2-year offer and if he proves himself he will be worth heaps more than 450.

with CCJ & Chol leaving its very clear our chances of doing a "quick bounceback" are gone, i would be bamboozled if we took any more than 1 recycled low tier player, likely Daniel Talia. Talia is the type of player you plug in ur backline during your rebuilding years to allow you time to develop alternatives. His introduction should not be met with the idea he will help with future success, he will literally be Mark Graham, Troy Chaplin MKII.

Its hard to know where our contract situation is at - but with Houli, CCJ, Naish, Astbury, Chol all off the books, along with their projection incomes - we should have seen at least $1,000,000 p.a taken off the books. With that in mind i would have less reservations with overpaying Cerra for a few seasons if it meant we could get him on our list with the idea that pound for pound on form, his next contract would be more reasonably balanced on the market value - its only his potential trade cost that is too much to wear.

My opinion is not much will happen this off-season as the club is ill prepared to do much else - i think our sudden decline really caught them off guard and they were not expecting to be this far behind the field. Our plan originally was to re-stock up on kids and roll over again - maybe getting a Tom Mitchell type to "arm up". As it stands i think a cheap top up "punching bag" of a backman inu Talia is about all we can expect. We don't appear to be on anyones radar & we are struggling to keep our own. If we lose CCJ when it was our intention to keep him, that is a a very bad result for me. They basically pushed Houli out who wanted to play on - failed to convince Astbury to go "1 more" which they were wanting - & delisted a player that its well known the Pies wanted a few years back & we likely could have traded for a late 2nd. The Club failed to convince Markov & Higgins to stay also - now along with Chol. The clubs influence over its fring players looks very flimsy at best - appears to be a generational cap between "the buy in" to the "Tiger Way"
Best melt so far👍👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying we will do nothing is "melting" these days?

Suppose in a world of snowflakes - sure. Everything i said re the player management side of things is literally fact. I know the modern world has a problem with facts these days, but...:tearsofjoy:
Ever been to a presentation by the clubs recruiting staff, mainly Blair? If you have, then you would realise that he plans things for years ahead. Sure, he may have expected to retain CCJ, but I’m telling you Mate, he’s a sharp operator and he, along with the recruiters will know exactly what they are doing. Fact is, we intend to hit the draft this year, and the most I’m expecting is some pick upgrades, and the recruitment of a key back.

If we recruit Talia and re-sign Garthwaite then i think our future is rather bleak. Doubt it will happen, but i am not convinced it wont.
Lol cmon, have some faith
No chance we do that

Garth is surely gone, can’t believe his delisting hasn’t been announced yet

Miller has played one game and all of a sudden, a lot are talking about him being a lock at full back. He played reasonably well for mine, but Turn it up!! Talia, if he’s medically sound, is a no brainer. Would lock down (hate those words!!!) our full back position for at least 2 seasons IMO
Yes agree some of the comments about the players like CCJ Chol Miller etc you would think they are jets At best the latter two are still learning their craft and not in our best 25 players Talia if fit is a way better option and Miller could learn of him if and the big question is if he is up to it I’m not sure as I haven’t seen enough of him but to be on list for so long would have thought he would have pressured for more senior games if the coaches thought he was

Im all for sneaking a flag - but you are not watching enough footy if you think Talia & Wallis are sneaking you anything other than time before the arse falls out completely. They will bring you nothing in regards to meaningful success. Melbourne supporters must be pissing their pants at talk of us being able to "sneak a flag" by adding 2 delisted players
You're looking at this the wrong way. It's not a case of bringing them in to be the stars of the team. You bring them in as role players to help take some of the load off of Grimes/Balta/Cotchin.

They're also both outstanding leaders. We're probably going to have 4-6 more kids coming in this year and we've actually drafted pretty heavily every year except last since we won 2017. More wise heads to help guide those young players.

His manager is playing games trying to squeeze extras off us don't think he wants to leave. But he wants to tread carefully as we don't sit down. Like I said take his 2-year offer and if he proves himself he will be worth heaps more than 450.

I've been thinking that as well. 450 for 5 years is really low balling yourself, unless you think you are never get better than what you are now. Then throw in he's leaving Richmond for uber-minnow North Melbourne for that little money and it becomes stranger still. Again would like to hear confirmation from the club as to what is happening.

I remembered why I stopped coming in these threads. Full of negative flogs that know SFA.
The richmond fc nearly won the last 4 flags. This period for us may be difficult. It may not. All great teams go through it. But to actually beleive your own dribble that you know better than the club is ******* hilarious.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes agree some of the comments about the players like CCJ Chol Miller etc you would think they are jets At best the latter two are still learning their craft and not in our best 25 players Talia if fit is a way better option and Miller could learn of him if and the big question is if he is up to it I’m not sure as I haven’t seen enough of him but to be on list for so long would have thought he would have pressured for more senior games if the coaches thought he was
Nobody knows if these players are any good, but other sides have no problem playing young back, Weiderman, Lever, Andrews and plenty of others all started playing key backs at 19-20 years old. How would we know what Miller is capable of if we never get a look at him. He is not a kid, 23 years old next season. Of course Talia is an upgrade if fit, but he is 30 years old and hasn't played for a year. Many on here were wanting Astbury gone due mainly to his age.

We have such an experienced back line with Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin, I reckon we could see how a 23 year old goes. If Talia is fit and in good nick, it would be hard to say no, but just hope it doesn't backfire and a player like Miller leaves similar to CCJ looking for a decent crack.

I remembered why I stopped coming in these threads. Full of negative flogs that know SFA.
The richmond fc nearly won the last 4 flags. This period for us may be difficult. It may not. All great teams go through it. But to actually beleive your own dribble that you know better than the club is ******* hilarious.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
On the flip side a club like Geelong has been in more prelims than any team for a long long time and in hindsight it looks as if their strategy has backfired.
You would have to say they are a successful club. All clubs get some things wrong.

Not much of a forum if we just say, oh well the club knows best.

If we nail this draft, then we can trade aggressively for the next few years - perfect timing.
Looking at the contracts ending in 2022 - I reckon we could see a major flush out at the end of next season. Make or break seasons for Aarts, RCD, Martyn, Rioli, Ross plus retirements of Cotch, JR, caddy, edwards, pickett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back