Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Re Bewley, his career stats to date don’t fill me with much optimism. At the end of the day though he will only be a depth pick up, and clubs these days love having plenty of competition for spots. Wouldn’t mind if we gave him a one-year rookie deal.
Surely there are better state league players out there.......and younger than 27

When looking at depth through DFA, the choice isn't between experienced depth and young class. It's experienced depth vs end of draft 18 year old.

You look at Hartley who came in played a role as depth for a couple years. In an alternative reality I guess we pick up Jeka at the end of the national draft instead. Then there were 5 players taken in the rookie draft after Hawthorn's pick that weren't re-rookies or Academy players. 4 nobody's and Brad Close.

You do your best but statistically there's not much there. Vs the benefit of protecting kids on the list with experienced team mates that can compete and give them direction.

And sometimes you end up with a Ricky Henderson. Other times a Minchington, Hartley or Spangher.

When looking at depth through DFA, the choice isn't between experienced depth and young class. It's experienced depth vs end of draft 18 year old.

You look at Hartley who came in played a role as depth for a couple years. In an alternative reality I guess we pick up Jeka at the end of the national draft instead. Then there were 5 players taken in the rookie draft after Hawthorn's pick that weren't re-rookies or Academy players. 4 nobody's and Brad Close.

You do your best but statistically there's not much there. Vs the benefit of protecting kids on the list with experienced team mates that can compete and give them direction.

And sometimes you end up with a Ricky Henderson. Other times a Minchington, Hartley or Spangher.
I'd rather take a speculative rookie selection than a 27yo Bewley as DFA....especially in this draft as talent identification and lack of football might see a few gems go late

Or they just think he might be good depth in the midfield

our outside mid depth is apalling

Morrison, Phillips, Downie, Howe? I guess Bramble and Shiels too maybe?

i know a lot of people are bullish about Impey, CJ, Scrim, Day etc. being moved to a wing but fact is they are all untried and may struggle there. Same goes for Downie. Howe might be on the move and this is likely Shiels' last year.

Would be a free get, is a good kick and hard at it. Not a particularly fast or skillful player but certainly fine as a 22-25th player. We need depth just as much as we need top-end talent.

If we don't get him, then it's not the end of the world. If we do, then cool, it's not costing us anything.

I'd rather take a speculative rookie selection than a 27yo Bewley as DFA....especially in this draft as talent identification and lack of football might see a few gems go late

Agree. Say we have another bad run with injuries which forces us to reach into the depths of the squad again - as a rebuilding team who would we all rather see playing? A 27 year old stop-gap Bewley, or say S. Mitchell or Saunders?

our outside mid depth is apalling

Morrison, Phillips, Downie, Howe? I guess Bramble and Shiels too maybe?

i know a lot of people are bullish about Impey, CJ, Scrim, Day etc. being moved to a wing but fact is they are all untried and may struggle there. Same goes for Downie. Howe might be on the move and this is likely Shiels' last year.

Would be a free get, is a good kick and hard at it. Not a particularly fast or skillful player but certainly fine as a 22-25th player. We need depth just as much as we need top-end talent.

If we don't get him, then it's not the end of the world. If we do, then cool, it's not costing us anything.

Bramble, Day, Downie, Phillips, Morrison, Howe. Shiels has played there too. We could potentially use CJ there as well.

We have more than enough depth at the position.

You'd think the Bewley link if its true would be due to the recent acquisition of David Hale yeah?

Bramble, Day, Downie, Phillips, Morrison, Howe. Shiels has played there too. We could potentially use CJ there as well.

We have more than enough depth at the position.

sure, but of them only three have ever played a season as a winger

i just really don't think these end of list players really make that much difference. If the club rates BB over some untried bloke at the end of the draft, then so be it. Hendo turned out okay

Agree. Say we have another bad run with injuries which forces us to reach into the depths of the squad again - as a rebuilding team who would we all rather see playing? A 27 year old stop-gap Bewley, or say S. Mitchell or Saunders?
Saunders may not be on the list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last 10 years

DFA/PSD/Rookies from other AFL club
Broc McCauley
Jon Simpkin
John Ceglar
Ben Ross
Jack Fitzpatrick
Ricky Henderson
Darren Minchington
Tim Mohr
Michael Hartley
Keegan Brooksby

End of draft selections
Adam Pattison
Ciaran Kilkenny
Zac Webster
Lachlan Langford
Kade Stewart
James Cousins
David Mirra
Will Golds
Emerson Jeka
Jack Saunders

Does anyone think we would have been better off taking fewer players from the first list so we could take players we would have selected AFTER the players on the second list?

Either way, these selections are obviously not a realistic way to build the elite core of a side. You're lucky if these guys step on the park. Brett Bewley won't be blocking the next Luke Hodge if he becomes a Hawk.

You hearing something? Seemed to me that Sam was pleased with how he played and his development throughout the season.

As for my original point, you could replace Saunders with Downie then.

But if Bewley is an average list clogger, and Downie/Mitchell couldn't get a look in before him (even though the club has shown a selection preference for youth), wouldn't that indicate that Downie/Mitchell are a mile off and likely list cloggers themselves?

But if Bewley is an average list clogger, and Downie/Mitchell couldn't get a look in before him (even though the club has shown a selection preference for youth), wouldn't that indicate that Downie/Mitchell are a mile off and likely list cloggers themselves?
This is the part I don't get from posters and is absolutely true

I think the need for immediate depth is when you are in immediate contention...when wins right now are the priority

When you are building, get games into whoever is next cab of the rank...priorities are different
Yes but its not a full rebuild of teenagers there will be soldiers as I expected and has been mentioned by one of our ITKs

I think the need for immediate depth is when you are in immediate contention...when wins right now are the priority

When you are building, get games into whoever is next cab of the rank...priorities are different

"Depth" isn't our problem...Cousins was depth. Why delist a 23 year old depth mid for someone' else's delisted 26 year old depth mid?

Cousins and Beweley are different players with different strengths

Cousins was great at finding the ball and played in/out off a HFF, but terrible disposal and decision-making

Beweley is hard at the contest and a good kick, but not a great accumulator and doesn't get involved in chains of play as much as he needs to

different strengths complement different teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back