Rumour Don Pyke is new Carlton coach according to Robert Murphy

Is Don Pyke a good choice to coach Carlton?

• Not a good appointment

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Good appointment

Votes: 35 72.9%

• Total voters
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Hoping this is true.

Really like his coaching and game style, got a reasonably average list into a grand final, seems to fit the general parameters of our need for an experienced coach. His work at Sydney this year was also terrific and from all reports a major factor in their revamped gameplan and subsequent rise up the ladder.

His last couple of years at Adelaide were unfortunate for a variety of reasons, but he deserves another shot at it, regardless if it's at Carlton or elsewhere.
A reasonably average list??.… bahahahaha.. that reasonably average list in 2017 was averaging a goal every 8 possessions at one point which was unheard of..

The problem was, when things went sideways in games, their stubborn coach at the time had no plan B, C or D.. he sat there like a stunned mullet obviously hoping things would just swing back in his sides favour.

The first sign something was amiss was 2017 round 7 against North Melbourne when he just sat there stunned whilst North piled on 10 unanswered goals in the first quarter and didnt make one change.. didnt drop one single one of his tall forwards back to try and help stem the flow.. had absolutely no answers.. and it happened again a couple more times throughout the season and again in the GF.. no answers at all when things went pear shaped.

Don pyke is a one dimensional moron who was granted the reigns of a team well on the way to a premiership due to the work of a man who unfortunately died at the hands of his son..

And if you think that 2017 team was average.. then I’d love to hear your thoughts on every single Carlton side over the last two decades!…

If carlton think pyke’s the answer then its obvious that everyone else has said “thanks, but no thanks”..

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Breaking news.

Luke Beveridge to announce he has accepted the Carlton coaching job, starting immediately.

Hang on, I may have this mixed up, it may have been Simon Goodwin.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

' There is a lot more strategy that they’ve perhaps let on. '

Indeed brilliant new and innovative strategy, seek coaches who have had senior experience, get knocked back and then pursue assistant coaches (and give the job to Voss because he is the only one that meets Sayers criteria of “the best, most experienced coach”. )

Of course that is provided Bruce Mathieson is happy with the choice.

Concussion test

Adelaide Football Club. Established 1860
May 19, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are you sure you have the right McGovern there?
I guess Jeremy is more a Hungry Jacks kind of guy
Eagles are happy for Jeremy to eat whatever he wants. Despite skinfolds bordering on morbidly obese, he's an absolute gun.
Maybe Carlton should wean young "Brackets" from KFC onto Hungry Jacks.

Last edited:

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles are happy for Jeremy to eat whatever he wants. Despite skinfolds bordering on morbidly obese, he's an absolute gun.
Maybe Carlton should ween young "Brackets" from KFC onto Hungry Jacks.

Jeremy was an absolute gun. Looked like a selfish, lazy unfit s.o.b. this year.

Last edited:
So I guess Carlton like the idea of some very interesting trading decisions in the near future.
I mean, surely they owe Voss a favour for that Fev trade.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I suppose any strategy is “a lot more” than the zero strategy used so far...

For reasons best known to himself, apparently Sayers likes to be called Baldrick. :think:

blackadder-quotes-series-3-cunning-plan.jpg

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
For reasons best known to himself, apparently Sayers likes to be called Baldrick. :think:

View attachment 1237547

While getting off topic - this is the genius of predominately Ben Elton, assisted by the superb delivery from; Atkinson/Robinson/Mcinnerny/Laurie and Fry.

Of the many quotes and lines across the four Blackadder series, this one has always stuck in my mind.

Final episode season 4, they are in the trenches preparing for the final push. Lieutenant George (Laurie) fearfully enquires:
"Sir, if we do happen to step on a land mine, what does one do..?"
Captain Blackadder (Atkinson) in his usual sarcastic tone, responds:
"Well, normal procedure Lieutentant...is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter yourself over a wide area..!"

Last edited:
Pykes no longer favorite for Carlton job according to sportsbet.

Kingsley the hottest price favorite since the market opened at $1.90.

What do they know?

E0B4E92A-555F-403D-AF11-1039A3C131AE.jpeg

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney

What do they know?

View attachment 1239233
Has been reported it's down to Kingsley and Voss with Gia 3rd choice elsewhere, so probably just reflecting those reports.

Wonder how many people jumped in with pyke at $12+ when Hardie and Murphy claimed to have info, and if you followed the info would it lead back to a sports betting agency

Has been reported it's down to Kingsley and Voss with Gia 3rd choice elsewhere, so probably just reflecting those reports.

Wonder how many people jumped in with pyke at $12+ when Hardie and Murphy claimed to have info, and if you followed the info would it lead back to a sports betting agency
Fair enough. Hadn’t seen it reported.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

What do they know?

View attachment 1239233

Probably nothing. I kept track of the Collingwood coaching odds for a couple of weeks and the odds were very quick to change depending on the media coverage at the time.

Back