Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Like I said in the ATP version, with everyone's help, I want to compile a list of players (both ATP/WTA but separate threads) who we feel are capable of winning one of the four Slams. Obviously this is very subjective, but I want to get a sense for those players who we feel could have Slam winning potential. This list excludes those who have already won Slams, and we can update it if listed players make the breakthrough or if we feel like their time has come and gone. We can constantly add names when new young guns start marking their mark on the tour.

As we all know, the WTA is super unpredictable. Who could've predicted the US Open final we just had? So this list is going to be mighty interesting.

I'll start with Elena Rybakina. When she is on, she is almost unstoppable, but on the flipside when she is off, she can lose to anyone. So as a result she is a hard one to predict, but with her serve and firepower off both wings, she should win a slam one day. She was pretty consistent at the majors this year, and with the exception of the AO her losses were to consistent threats. With players of her ilk, it's a matter of whether they can string 7 quality matches together to capture a slam. At age 22 with a ranking of 17, she's going to have many chances. I think it could take a while for the breakthrough, but I feel it will eventually comes.

Thoughts and predictions please!

I really like Karolina Muchova. All court player with a big serve that can play on all surfaces. Late bloomer because of injuries and always seems to be carrying something which restricts her. If she can get fit and stay fit can see her winning a slam.
Very solid call. Consistent hitter, good variety, my only question is whether there is enough explosiveness in her game? But given her results, she's on that trajectory, if like you said she can stay fit.

Marta Kostyuk. Been a fan of hers for a while. Feel she just needs a good draw to get a breakthrough tournament. Has been competitive against big names and has defeated Muguruza at the French.

Anna Karolina Schmiedlova. Cause I am an idiot.
Good call on Kostyuk. If I had to say either way, I'd probably lean towards not, but I won't argue that has the potential to. Has the power, confidence, willingness to finish points at the net. Plus I often forget she's still so young. If she purely focuses on her tennis and improving her game, she absolutely could. She needs to be seeded for the slams then her draws will be easier, she seems to draw really tough opponents early on.

Good call on Kostyuk. If I had to say either way, I'd probably lean towards not, but I won't argue that has the potential to. Has the power, confidence, willingness to finish points at the net. Plus I often forget she's still so young. If she purely focuses on her tennis and improving her game, she absolutely could. She needs to be seeded for the slams then her draws will be easier, she seems to draw really tough opponents early on.
I feel like she is the sort of player who can get on a roll if she keeps winning. We saw it a little in her breakthrough in Aus in 2017(?) and the French Open this year. Still "only" 19.

Coco Gauff is an obvious one. She is a handy clay courter and I think that is her best surface. Still very young and immature, which is probably her biggest weakness atm. She had so many chances at the French open Quarters if one remembers but couldn't take it. Had issues with her 2nd serve this year as well.

Belinda Bencic is an interesting one. big game, super talented but has massive injures issues and is a bit "spotty" probably not good enough or consistent enough to do it for 2 weeks. I think her best chance has just passed her by

I cheated for this last one and had a look at the rankings. Clara Tauson. The Dane who is nothing like Wozniacki. Huge game, powerful ball hitter. Haven't watched her enough but there was a lot of talk last year when she beat Brady in the first round of the French.

I will say it. I think Pliskova will breakthrough for a major. she has been close in the final, twice. Something will click for her one tournament. I dont think she "chokes", I think it is just an intensity thing. a killer instinct. Think she will sleepwalk her way to a big title one day

Can't see Svitolina winning one. not enough game. Sabelenka......worried for her. She has won loads of doubles titles but she seemed to let the pressure get to her in New York. still young. But just seems to do for too much which leads to an errorfest.

I feel like she is the sort of player who can get on a roll if she keeps winning. We saw it a little in her breakthrough in Aus in 2017(?) and the French Open this year. Still "only" 19.

Coco Gauff is an obvious one. She is a handy clay courter and I think that is her best surface. Still very young and immature, which is probably her biggest weakness atm. She had so many chances at the French open Quarters if one remembers but couldn't take it. Had issues with her 2nd serve this year as well.

Belinda Bencic is an interesting one. big game, super talented but has massive injures issues and is a bit "spotty" probably not good enough or consistent enough to do it for 2 weeks. I think her best chance has just passed her by

I cheated for this last one and had a look at the rankings. Clara Tauson. The Dane who is nothing like Wozniacki. Huge game, powerful ball hitter. Haven't watched her enough but there was a lot of talk last year when she beat Brady in the first round of the French.

I will say it. I think Pliskova will breakthrough for a major. she has been close in the final, twice. Something will click for her one tournament. I dont think she "chokes", I think it is just an intensity thing. a killer instinct. Think she will sleepwalk her way to a big title one day

Can't see Svitolina winning one. not enough game. Sabelenka......worried for her. She has won loads of doubles titles but she seemed to let the pressure get to her in New York. still young. But just seems to do for too much which leads to an errorfest.
From that list:

Gauff: Most likely, probably too early to tell, but she moves so well so I'd probably say it's only a matter of time.
Bencic: Not to me. But how the heck is she only 24?? Feels like she should be late twenties as it seems like she's been around forever.
Tauson: Don't know much about her to be honest, but I'll be keeping an eye on her now. Good early call I like it.
Pliskova: Has come close a few times, so many early exit's for a player of her capabilities. Gut feel says no.
Svitolina: I just can't see her winning one, another Radwanska but not as good.
Sabalenka: I'm actually confident she will. Had a very good year in the slams and although she didn't reach a final, before this year she hadn't even reached a fourth round. She's getting there.

If Alcatraz transitions he'd be a sure thing.

I do wonder how the tour would deal with it if someone like John Millman came out and said I want to be known as Jill from now on, let me on the WTA, could win like $5 million in a season as a retirement fund. People will be tempted by the big money of women's tennis, it is only a matter of time.

perfect timing. She is also the last person to defeat Raducanu in the final of Chicago a couple of weeks before the US Open

Already looking like an astute call. Up to #52.

With Sakkari, I think this year was almost her peak, and she blew it. She is constantly rounding out her game so she might get more chances, but I can't hep but feel this had to be her year.

Kudermetova anyone? Or is that my crush talking haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already looking like an astute call. Up to #52.

With Sakkari, I think this year was almost her peak, and she blew it. She is constantly rounding out her game so she might get more chances, but I can't hep but feel this had to be her year.

Kudermetova anyone? Or is that my crush talking haha.
That's your crush talking ;)

I can't believe Kasatkina is now 24. geech, I always thought she was super young. I believe Ley Ley Fernandez will go on a similar trajectory as her. Won't have enough game to win a slam.

That's your crush talking ;)

I can't believe Kasatkina is now 24. geech, I always thought she was super young. I believe Ley Ley Fernandez will go on a similar trajectory as her. Won't have enough game to win a slam.
She somewhat rebounded a bit this year. I don’t think she has the game to win a slam, not attacking enough, but it looked like she tried to make those adjustments this year.

Anisimova anyone? Probably been getting further away lately but does she have the potential?
has the game. good hitter and movement is not a weakness. Not sure how much her dad/coaches death has affected her. Has had injures but feel the death of her dad is a bigger factor. I am not criticising and I feel dreadful about what happened to her dad.

I noticed Anett Kontaveit has had a good week in Latvia. Beat Kvitova last night in the semis 6-0, 6-4. Huge hitter of the ball but don't think that will be enough due to her movement. I do think she will make a semi in a slam when she paints the line one year.

I noticed Anett Kontaveit has had a good week in Latvia. Beat Kvitova last night in the semis 6-0, 6-4. Huge hitter of the ball but don't think that will be enough due to her movement. I do think she will make a semi in a slam when she paints the line one year.
She has started painting lines

I really like Karolina Muchova. All court player with a big serve that can play on all surfaces. Late bloomer because of injuries and always seems to be carrying something which restricts her. If she can get fit and stay fit can see her winning a slam.
Out of the Aussie Open, and loses a lot of points. Disappointing for her.

I think Sabalenka will be next. Huge improvement the last couple of years and when she's on she looks like she's completely dominating everyone.

Not sure I'd confidently rule out any of the ladies mentioned so far, such is the WTA circuit.

The WTA is a lot more open where you can have a quick flyer come from no where, and smokies seem to progress a lot further into tournaments than the men's game.

I reckon any of the top 20 could win a slam. Probably couldn't say the same for the ATP.

Probably more when you consider these ladies sit outside the top 20 and I wouldn't rule them out if they had a dream run in a tournament:

Kvitová, Fernandez, Bencic, Azarenka, Brady, S. Williams, Vondrousova, Kudermertova.

On the clay court lottary French, I'd potentially add more.

Last edited:
here is a name I will be keeping a close eye on. Havent watched her play, outside her 2020 AO junior win. noticed the country she represents and the fact her opponent was sadly, never going to make it.

Victoria Jiménez Kasintseva from Andorra. First time in slam qualies right now and won her 1st match easily and is one win away from the top 200 as a 16-year-old. Beat Coco at Bendigo recently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back