Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine how good a side West Ham would have been if Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks and Roger Hunt all played for them.
It was meant tongue in cheek but really no Geoff Hurst no England in 1966. Winner in the quarter, set up Charlton's winner in the semi and three in the final. For all Jimmy Greaves is a really nice guy, I couldn't see him doing that.

From 1970 onwards, America's National Football League (NFL) has consisted of two conferences - the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). The structure of teams within the conferences has changed over the years, with expansion teams coming in and others moving locations, although no franchises have departed the league outright. However, in all this time there has just one team to play in both the AFC and the NFC, and this is the Seattle Seahawks, which originally played in the AFC, but were transferred to the NFC during a 2002 realignment and expansion, which saw a new structure of 16 teams in each conference, four each for North South East and West.

From 1970 onwards, America's National Football League (NFL) has consisted of two conferences - the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). The structure of teams within the conferences has changed over the years, with expansion teams coming in and others moving locations, although no franchises have departed the league outright. However, in all this time there has just one team to play in both the AFC and the NFC, and this is the Seattle Seahawks, which originally played in the AFC, but were transferred to the NFC during a 2002 realignment and expansion, which saw a new structure of 16 teams in each conference, four each for North South East and West.
[/QUOT[/
Pretty sure Tampa Bay have played in both

However, in all this time there has just one team to play in both the AFC and the NFC, and this is the Seattle Seahawks, which originally played in the AFC
False.

Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have played in both conferences.

They were the 2 NFL expansion teams in 1976.
In their first season, Seattle played in the NFC West, while the Bucs played in the AFC West

This lasted just one season. In 1977, they switched conferences: Tampa Bay joined the NFC Central and Seattle went to the AFC West (where they stayed until the 2002 realignment saw them rejoin the NFC West)

Since we're on the topic, how many NBA teams have switched between western and eastern conferences? Which teams have also had the same name for the entirety of their existence?

It's common in American sports for relocation and renaming but imagine the furore if it happened now in the AFL.

What do the songs 'Oh Carol' by Neil Sedaka, 'It's My Party' by Lesley Gore, 'Navy Blue' by Diane Renay, 'They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha Ha' by Napoleon XIV, 'The Newcastle Song' by Bob Hudson and 'The Boy From New York City' by the Ad Libs have in common?

Probably not much, except all inspired sequel or answer songs by either the same artists or a different artist or group.

'Oh Carol' was written by a young singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka as a tribute to Carol King, a fellow singer-songwriter who was so flattered that she wrote and recorded 'Oh Neil' as a response song, although unlike Sedaka's song it was not a success.

'It's My Party' was a huge success for young New Yorker Lesley Gore in 1963 about a girl who is dumped at her birthday party by her boyfriend Johnny for a girl named Judy, and she followed it up the next year with 'Judy's Turn to Cry', where Johnny dumps Judy and takes back the un-named singer. However while 'It's My Party' is fine if a little-self pitying the lyrics to 'Judy's Turn to Cry' are more problematic. To win back Johnny, the narrator kisses another guy in front of Johnny, who immediately punches out the other guy, dumps Judy and takes back the narrator. So the narrator is back with the guy who cheated on and dumped her on her birthday, shows a jealous streak and is willing to use physical violence, a poor guy who did nothing wrong gets punched out and Judy probably didn't cry long but set her sights on stealing some other girl's boyfriend. Great morals.

"Navy Blue' by Diane Renay was a hit in the early 1960s about a girl who is sad about her boyfriend joining the Navy, and Renay's sequel song 'Kiss Me Sailor' is about the same girl being happy because her boyfriend is on shore on leave for a short period of time and she can see him.

'They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha Ha' is a mid 1960s novelty song by Napoleon XIV about a guy who has lost his mind after his girlfriend dumps him, and is looking forward to being taken away and placed in a mental institution. An answer song to this, 'I'm Happy They Took You Away Ha Ha' was released by Josephine XV, from the perspective of the girlfriend who is glad to see the back of her obsessive ex-boyfriend when he gets committed but this sequel song is largely forgotten today.

'The Boy From New York City' was a big hit for the Ad Libs in the mid 1960s, and inspired The Beach Boys to release 'The Girl From New York City' but this is not one of the group's better known songs.

'The Newcastle Song' was an amusing Australian song in the 1970s about a boy named Normie from Newcastle New South Wales who tries to chat up a pretty girl on Hunter Street, only to flee when her 7 foot tall bikie boyfriend appears. Maureen Elkner released an answer song 'Rack off Normie' from he perspective of the girl, who just wants to spend the day with her bikie boyfriend and not be bothered by boys like Normie.

What do the songs 'Oh Carol' by Neil Sedaka, 'It's My Party' by Lesley Gore, 'Navy Blue' by Diane Renay, 'They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha Ha' by Napoleon XIV, 'The Newcastle Song' by Bob Hudson and 'The Boy From New York City' by the Ad Libs have in common?

Probably not much, except all inspired sequel or answer songs by either the same artists or a different artist or group.

'Oh Carol' was written by a young singer-songwriter Neil Sedaka as a tribute to Carol King, a fellow singer-songwriter who was so flattered that she wrote and recorded 'Oh Neil' as a response song, although unlike Sedaka's song it was not a success.

'It's My Party' was a huge success for young New Yorker Lesley Gore in 1963 about a girl who is dumped at her birthday party by her boyfriend Johnny for a girl named Judy, and she followed it up the next year with 'Judy's Turn to Cry', where Johnny dumps Judy and takes back the un-named singer. However while 'It's My Party' is fine if a little-self pitying the lyrics to 'Judy's Turn to Cry' are more problematic. To win back Johnny, the narrator kisses another guy in front of Johnny, who immediately punches out the other guy, dumps Judy and takes back the narrator. So the narrator is back with the guy who cheated on and dumped her on her birthday, shows a jealous streak and is willing to use physical violence, a poor guy who did nothing wrong gets punched out and Judy probably didn't cry long but set her sights on stealing some other girl's boyfriend. Great morals.

"Navy Blue' by Diane Renay was a hit in the early 1960s about a girl who is sad about her boyfriend joining the Navy, and Renay's sequel song 'Kiss Me Sailor' is about the same girl being happy because her boyfriend is on shore on leave for a short period of time and she can see him.

'They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha Ha' is a mid 1960s novelty song by Napoleon XIV about a guy who has lost his mind after his girlfriend dumps him, and is looking forward to being taken away and placed in a mental institution. An answer song to this, 'I'm Happy They Took You Away Ha Ha' was released by Josephine XV, from the perspective of the girlfriend who is glad to see the back of her obsessive ex-boyfriend when he gets committed but this sequel song is largely forgotten today.

'The Boy From New York City' was a big hit for the Ad Libs in the mid 1960s, and inspired The Beach Boys to release 'The Girl From New York City' but this is not one of the group's better known songs.

'The Newcastle Song' was an amusing Australian song in the 1970s about a boy named Normie from Newcastle New South Wales who tries to chat up a pretty girl on Hunter Street, only to flee when her 7 foot tall bikie boyfriend appears. Maureen Elkner released an answer song 'Rack off Normie' from he perspective of the girl, who just wants to spend the day with her bikie boyfriend and not be bothered by boys like Normie.
There was also a sequel to "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" as well I believe

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I always suspected that Captain and Tenille's "Love Will Keep Us Together" was the reason for Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart", and sure enough, I did a Google search recently and discovered that JD's song was indeed written and performed in response to the hit song of the mid 70s.

Since we're on the topic, how many NBA teams have switched between western and eastern conferences? Which teams have also had the same name for the entirety of their existence?

It's common in American sports for relocation and renaming but imagine the furore if it happened now in the AFL.

Here goes...

Current teams who haven't changed city or name:

Portland Trail Blazers
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks
Orlando Magic
Miami Heat
Indiana Pacers
Chicago Bulls
Boston Celtics
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
Cleveland Cavaliers
Toronto Raptors
New York Knicks

So that's 13/30.

Charlotte started as Hornets, then moved to New Orleans and spent a year in Oklahoma City due to Hurricane Katrina before moving back to New Orleans. Charlotte got a new team the Bobcats in 2004. New Orleans became the Pelicans, the Bobcats took back the Hornets name and the pre-New Orleans era is considered part of the franchise. It's Port in the AFL and Port in the SANFL on steroids.

Current Eastern Conference teams who have played in the Western Conference:

Orlando Magic
Miami Heat
Indiana Pacers
Chicago Bulls
Milwaukee Bucks
Charlotte Hornets
Detroit Pistons

Current Western Conference teams who have played in the Eastern Conference:

New Orleans Hornets (Pelicans)
San Antonio Spurs
Houston Rockets
+
New Orleans Jazz (Utah)
Minneapolis Lakers (LA)
Cincinnati Royals (Sacramento Kings)
Buffalo Braves (LA Clippers)

Here goes...

Current teams who haven't changed city or name:

Portland Trail Blazers
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks
Orlando Magic
Miami Heat
Indiana Pacers
Chicago Bulls
Boston Celtics
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
Cleveland Cavaliers
Toronto Raptors
New York Knicks

So that's 13/30.

Charlotte started as Hornets, then moved to New Orleans and spent a year in Oklahoma City due to Hurricane Katrina before moving back to New Orleans. Charlotte got a new team the Bobcats in 2004. New Orleans became the Pelicans, the Bobcats took back the Hornets name and the pre-New Orleans era is considered part of the franchise. It's Port in the AFL and Port in the SANFL on steroids.

Current Eastern Conference teams who have played in the Western Conference:

Orlando Magic
Miami Heat
Indiana Pacers
Chicago Bulls
Milwaukee Bucks
Charlotte Hornets
Detroit Pistons

Current Western Conference teams who have played in the Eastern Conference:

New Orleans Hornets (Pelicans)
San Antonio Spurs
Houston Rockets
+
New Orleans Jazz (Utah)
Minneapolis Lakers (LA)
Cincinnati Royals (Sacramento Kings)
Buffalo Braves (LA Clippers)

Thanks for the research, that's amazing.

It seems odd that Miami and Orlando once played in the west but obviously the conferences are quite flexible it seems. It's also great to see why Utah are the Jazz and LA are the Lakers, for example - they are remnants from the old franchise location.

US professional sports is nuts.

The owner of the Cleveland Browns wanted to move the team to Baltimore. So he did. Sort of. He created the Baltimore Ravens, taking the players and coaching staff of the Browns with him - but the name, colours and all the IP stayed in Cleveland and the city had 3 years to invent a new Cleveland Browns v2.0 out of thin air.

Can you imagine the AFL granting a license to Tasmania on the basis that they take Gold Coast's team on the proviso that the Suns would be back in 3 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the research, that's amazing.

It seems odd that Miami and Orlando once played in the west but obviously the conferences are quite flexible it seems. It's also great to see why Utah are the Jazz and LA are the Lakers, for example - they are remnants from the old franchise location.

Miami and Orlando each played a year in the West when they joined, just to try and balance the conferences with 4 new teams coming in in quick succession (Heat, Magic, Hornets, TWolves). Back then they used to split the conferences in two. Now with 15 teams in each they have 6 divisions of 5.

The first list is the most interesting IMO.

Portland Trail Blazers
Phoenix Suns
Dallas Mavericks
Orlando Magic (expansion team late 80s)
Miami Heat (expansion team late 80s)

Indiana Pacers
Chicago Bulls
Boston Celtics
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves (expansion team late 80s)
Cleveland Cavaliers
Toronto Raptors (expansion team 90s)
New York Knicks

If you take out the bolded who are comparable in age to WC & Freo it only leaves 9 teams out of 30 who haven't moved cities, changed their name or folded.

The owners of the Spirits of St Louis trolled the NBA as part of their conditions not to join as part of the ABA-NBA merger. Nets, Nuggets, Pacers, Spurs joined the NBA, Kentucky Colonels got $3.3m and Spirits instead negotiated a % share of NBA TV rights, in perpetuity. By the time they finally accepted a $500m lump sum from the NBA they were receiving $15m a year for owning a team that hadn't physically existed for decades. Brilliant.

False.

Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have played in both conferences.

They were the 2 NFL expansion teams in 1976.
In their first season, Seattle played in the NFC West, while the Bucs played in the AFC West

This lasted just one season. In 1977, they switched conferences: Tampa Bay joined the NFC Central and Seattle went to the AFC West (where they stayed until the 2002 realignment saw them rejoin the NFC West)

Apologies, I did Google this and it came up with Seattle being the only team to switch between the AFC and NFC.

On this subject, it's kind of odd to see a team from Tampa Bay in Florida in the South Eastern part of the USA playing in the Western Conference. There's a few anomalies like this, for example when the LA Rams moved to St. Louis Missouri they stayed in the Western Conference, rather than be moved into a conference with other teams from the Midwest.

With 32 teams in two conferences divided into four divisions in each (North South East and West) and a 16 game season not counting play-offs, there's no chance of the teams playing each other every season, so since going to 32 teams from 2002 there's a rotating fixture that ensures there is at least one match played between teams every 4 years.

However, it wasn't always like this. In 1972 the San Francisco 49ers played the Baltimore Colts, and would not play them again until 1986, by which time the Colts had moved location to Indianapolis, a gap of 14 years. Is there any chance the AFL could do something similar with Geelong and Collingwood in their fixtures for coming years? No matter which team wins, whether the games are close or one sided, important or meaningless, Cats versus Magpies games in recent years have been awful spectacles to watch, just flat out terrible football. It would be better for everyone if there were no Geelong and Collingwood matches for quite a few years.

Australians and New Zealanders pronounce Subaru completely differently.

In Australia, we pronounce it Sue - Ba - Roo.

Our cousins in New Zealand pronounce it Su - Bar - Oo.

Whenever I watched the NZ police type shows I would always look forward to hearing about the Su-Bar-Oos.

There's quite a few famous people who were leap-day babies born on 29th February. For example, Australian TV and radio presenter Jonathon Coleman who died earlier this year was born on 29/02/1956, while comedian Frank Woodley was born 29/02/1968 and American actor Dennis Farina on 29/02/1944. A rare female serial killer Aileen Wuornos was also a leap day baby born in 1956. Celebrity deaths on 29th February are not so common - there's a list of them on Wikipedia but only two that stood out as really famous. These were Pat Garrett the American lawman who shot Billy the Kid; he (Garrett) died on 29/02/1908; and singer Davy Jones from The Monkees died on 29/02/2012.

Throughout history there's also a list of unfortunate people who have died on their birthdays, such as William Shakespeare, Swedish actress Ingrid Bergman, American actor John Banner (from Hogan's Heroes) and English actor Ian Marter (from Doctor Who).

But has there ever been a person born on 29th February who also died on 29th February? Amazingly, yes there is at least one case. This is James Milne Wilson, the 8th premier of Tasmania. Wilson was born on 29/02/1812, and died aged 68 on 29/02/1880. Or was he in fact 17-years-old when he died?

Arthropods are one of the most successful type of animals, and across the world there are billions of insects, arachnids (spiders, scorpions, ticks), crustaceans, centipedes and millipedes. Many millions of years ago - long before the dinosaurs - there was another type of arthropod, the trilobites. Trilobites were very widespread and there were many different species all over the world, their fossilized remains frequently found in lots of different places.

However, when the trilobites died out and became extinct after being such a dominant life form for so long, that was it. No trilobites evolved into some other type of creature, they were just gone and nothing even remotely resembling a trilobite exists today.

Arthropods are one of the most successful type of animals, and across the world there are billions of insects, arachnids (spiders, scorpions, ticks), crustaceans, centipedes and millipedes. Many millions of years ago - long before the dinosaurs - there was another type of arthropod, the trilobites. Trilobites were very widespread and there were many different species all over the world, their fossilized remains frequently found in lots of different places.

However, when the trilobites died out and became extinct after being such a dominant life form for so long, that was it. No trilobites evolved into some other type of creature, they were just gone and nothing even remotely resembling a trilobite exists today.
Moreton Bay Bug ?

At the risk of making this a thread about politics, I always found it concerning how there were plenty of attack ads on John Kerry's service from Republicans, while three of their last four Presidents (Trump, Bush Jr, Reagan) avoided active military service.
I thought Bush jnr was a fighter pilot?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The new president of the Senate is called Slade Brockman who should really be doing gay pr0n or anchoring an American morning show with a name like that.
Very similar to Brock Landers from Boogie Nights. Perhaps Dirk Diggler should run for president. At least he’d do a proper job of *n the joint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back