briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Ok. Let me know when the entire footy following population has conformed to your terminology
Mate, you know it’s not. It’s been discussed here ad nauseum this year that a lot of our defenders are slow, including Rich, and they don’t offer run and carry. It’s not my terminology, they are terms that have been used by dozens of posters here.

Over lap run, and run and carry, are both terms widely used in discussions, inmedia commentary, etc.

You’re getting your back up about something small.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mate, you know it’s not. It’s been discussed here ad nauseum this year that a lot of our defenders are slow, including Rich, and they don’t offer run and carry. It’s not my terminology, they are terms that have been used by dozens of posters here.

Over lap run, and run and carry, are both terms widely used in discussions, inmedia commentary, etc.

Yep sure. Rich consistently dished off and runs on to receive the ball back. If you don't think this counts as offering run then I don't know what to say. It's different to run and carry or breaking the line but falls under the same overarching category 'run'.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Just having a re-watch of one of our games from about midway through last season and the difference we'll gain from getting a few of our senior players fit and healthy will be huge and probably something I've underrated a little bit.

Neale: If he's able to put this season's injury issues behind him and have a big preseason getting a lot of fitness back then there's no reason he can't be back in Brownlow contention and help our defence by pushing back hard, when fit he moves really well around the ground and pops up all over the place.

Berry: While limited with some of his ball use and decision making his contested work and pressure is great, pair that with his running ability and you've got a really important player that should compliment the rest of the midfield nicely.

Andrews: I know he's had problems with injury this season but he looks a lot lighter and more mobile in the game I'm watching, not sure if he bulked up a bit for this season but could make a big difference if he's able to trim down a bit again, could just be a free run with injury.

Gardiner and Answerth: Like Berry both these guys are limited in some ways but are very good at what they do which is disrupting opposition attacks and locking down one on one.

This is all just my opinion and I could be way off the mark but if these guys are able to have an injury free run and big preseasons they'll go a massive way to getting us to the top of the table again. Add this to the improvement from McCluggage, Bailey, Starce, McStay, Coleman and Linc plus the addition's of Daniher, Cockatoo, throw in the potential of what Rayner and the draftees could be and I don't see any reason why this squad can't get us a premiership.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rich is not a guy I would define as having run in what I understand it to be.

forrest-gump-football.gif

It’s a small thing, and made me lol, but Rich doesn’t offer run.
He's not quick but he'd be leading our handball receives by quite a margin and you don't get those by standing still
Yep, because Birchall fed him a crap load. Overlapping run to then kick it 60m is not the same as run and carry to break down defences.
Ok. Let me know when the entire footy following population has conformed to your terminology

Yep sure. Rich consistently dished off and runs on to receive the ball back. If you don't think this counts as offering run then I don't know what to say. It's different to run and carry or breaking the line but falls under the same overarching category 'run'.

An unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

Strap yourselves in fellas.

In my personal view and opinion, given the fact that we have finished in the Top 6 of the competition for the past 3 years, I can't see us changing our overall AFL team too much heading into Round 1, next year, as shown below (injury-permitted):

Round 1, 2022 AFL Season (23 Man Squad)
B:
Darcy Gardiner | Harris Andrews | Ryan Lester
HB: Daniel Rich | Marcus Adams | Brandon Starcevich
C: Hugh McCluggage | Zac Bailey | Mitch Robinson
HF: Cameron Rayner | Daniel McStay | Dayne Zorko
F: Charlie Cameron | Joe Daniher | Lincoln McCarthy
FO: Oscar McInerney | Lachie Neale | Jarryd Lyons
IN: Callum Ah Chee | Jarrod Berry | Keidan Coleman | Darcy Fort | Nakia Cockatoo (Medi-Sub)
EM: Tom Fullarton | Jack Payne | Jaxon Prior | Deven Robertson

• Inclusions from 2021 Semi-Final Loss vs. Western Bulldogs Squad:
    Callum Ah Chee | Darcy Fort | | Daniel McStay | Cameron Rayner
  • Exclusions from 2021 Semi-Final Loss vs. Western Bulldogs Squad:
    Grant Birchall (Retired) | Nakia Cockatoo (Medi-Sub) | Tom Fullarton (Omitted) | Jack Payne (Omitted) | Deven Robertson (Omitted)
However I should note, throughout the 2022 season and coming into another finals series (hopefully), I think we are going to see some of the mature-faces from our current team get replaced by the younger brigade of players coming through at the club, to help improve our depth at the club and also develop a stronger AFL team for the next 5-10 years to come, as shown below with my Best 23 lineup (injury-permitted):

2022 AFL Final Series (Best 23 Man Squad)
B:
Darcy Gardiner | Harris Andrews | Daniel Rich
HB: Brandon Starcevich | Jack Payne | Keidan Coleman
C: Hugh McCluggage | Jarrod Berry | Zac Bailey
HF: Cameron Rayner | Eric Hipwood | Dayne Zorko
IN: Noah Answerth | Callum Ah Chee | Daniel McStay | Deven Robertson | Mitch Robinson (Medi-Sub)
Suitable VFL Depth (AFL Experience): Marcus Adams | Thomas Berry | Nakia Cockatoo | Cameron Ellis-Yolman | Darcy Fort | Tom Fullarton | Ryan Lester | James Madden | Rhys Mathieson | Jaxon Prior | Harry Sharp

• Inclusions from Round 1, 2022 Squad:
    Noah Answerth | Eric Hipwood | Jack Payne | Deven Robertson
  • Exclusions from Round 1, 2022 Squad:
    Marcus Adams (Omitted) | Nakia Cockatoo (Omitted) | Darcy Fort (Omitted) | Ryan Lester (Omitted) | Mitch Robinson (Medi-Sub)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
B:
IN: Callum Ah Chee | Jarrod Berry | Keidan Coleman | Darcy Fort | Nakia Cockatoo (Medi-Sub)

I like that side, the only changes I would make would be Ryan Lester, Mitch Robinson out for > Jaxon Prior and Dev Robertson/[Josh Goater:D;)]

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
In my personal view and opinion, given the fact that we have finished in the Top 6 of the competition for the past 3 years, I can't see us changing our overall AFL team too much heading into Round 1, next year, as shown below (injury-permitted):

B:
EM: Tom Fullarton | Jack Payne | Jaxon Prior | Deven Robertson

• Inclusions from 2021 Semi-Final Loss vs. Western Bulldogs Squad:
    Callum Ah Chee | Darcy Fort | | Daniel McStay | Cameron Rayner
  • Exclusions from 2021 Semi-Final Loss vs. Western Bulldogs Squad:
    Grant Birchall (Retired) | Nakia Cockatoo (Medi-Sub) | Tom Fullarton (Omitted) | Jack Payne (Omitted) | Deven Robertson (Omitted)
However I should note, throughout the 2022 season and coming into another finals series (hopefully), I think we are going to see some of the mature-faces from our current team get replaced by the younger brigade of players coming through at the club, to help improve our depth at the club and also develop a stronger AFL team for the next 5-10 years to come, as shown below with my Best 23 lineup (injury-permitted):

2022 AFL Final Series (Best 23 Man Squad)
B:
Darcy Gardiner | Harris Andrews | Daniel Rich
HB: Brandon Starcevich | Jack Payne | Keidan Coleman
C: Hugh McCluggage | Jarrod Berry | Zac Bailey
HF: Cameron Rayner | Eric Hipwood | Dayne Zorko
IN: Noah Answerth | Callum Ah Chee | Daniel McStay | Deven Robertson | Mitch Robinson (Medi-Sub)
Suitable VFL Depth (AFL Experience): Marcus Adams | Thomas Berry | Nakia Cockatoo | Cameron Ellis-Yolman | Darcy Fort | Tom Fullarton | Ryan Lester | James Madden | Rhys Mathieson | Jaxon Prior | Harry Sharp

• Inclusions from Round 1, 2022 Squad:
    Noah Answerth | Eric Hipwood | Jack Payne | Deven Robertson
  • Exclusions from Round 1, 2022 Squad:
    Marcus Adams (Omitted) | Nakia Cockatoo (Omitted) | Darcy Fort (Omitted) | Ryan Lester (Omitted) | Mitch Robinson (Medi-Sub)
A couple of nice teams, only changes to the finals team for me would be:

Adams in for one of Gardiner or Payne - When Adams was fit last season he was probably our best key defender and has shown he can have really dominant games against the league's best key forwards. If Payne has the kind of season to demand a spot in the team I think it's Gardiner to come out first.

50/50 on Prior vs Answerth - Really tough to figure this one out, Prior probably has the higher ceiling as a guy who can defend, rebound and intercept however Answerth has proven he's a really disciplined lockdown defender.

50/50/50/50 on Ah Chee, Cockatoo, Dev and Sharp - For me two of these four get picked, really like Ah Chee's versatility and if he's able to impact games more consistently to go along with his defence and pressure he's probably in. Same goes for Cockatoo, if he can stay involved in games for 4 quarters including time in the midfield then I can't leave him out of the team, could be a real difference maker. Sharp and Dev are probably the outside chances for these spots for me, if everything goes perfectly for Sharp I believe he could have a massive impact on the team and our capacity to transition the ball but it's probably a year too early. Unfortunately for Dev with all our mid rotations I'm not sure there's a spot for a more tradition mid, however if there are any drop offs in form he should be very quick to come into the team.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
BTW I can't wait to get down to off season training this off season, sadly it will be the last off season within walking distance(Yeronga) for me with Springfield supposedly ready late 2022, our semi final against the Bulldogs was on the 4th of September and IIRC the players usually get 8 weeks off before returning... 1-5 year players in one group and then the rest a week or so later. So we should see some pre season training starting early November.

:brisbane:2022:trophy::brisbane:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
BTW I can't wait to get down to off season training this off season, sadly it will be the last off season within walking distance(Yeronga) for me with Springfield supposedly ready late 2022, our semi final against the Bulldogs was on the 4th of September and IIRC the players usually get 8 weeks off before returning... 1-5 year players in one group and then the rest a week or so later. So we should see some pre season training starting early November.

Doesn’t look like Wednesday’s will work for me this year. 😔

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Longer break than I expected for our players, Danny Daly on The Roar Deal today >

1-4 year players will be back in official training on Monday 29th of November.

5 + year players he said were back on the 29th as well:think:.... might have miss spoke??

Players will train until the 18th of December and then have a 3 week Christmas break and return on the 10th of January.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Seems like a very short pre Christmas training block and a long long break from our last game on the 4th of September to back in official training(over 12 weeks off), maybe giving more responsibility to the boys re coming back in great shape.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't be too surprised to see a bolter on the wing similar to Sharp but more ready to go. Must be a few draftees who could do this

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Never know Jason mp, still might be the odd training session at Yeronga, Springfield is a bit of a drive and likely to be hotter out there especially in the summer.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only about 5/6 months to go but below is foxsports Lions best 22 and comments
The bolded are players i think could miss out if we have no injuries

BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

HB: Ryan Lester, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson

HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Zac Bailey

F: Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Deven Robertson, Keidean Coleman, Noah Answerth

In: Darcy Fort

Out: Grant Birchall, Archie Smith,

WE SAY: The Lions enter the 2022 season with a very similar side to the one that went down the Western Bulldogs by one point in the semi final. They’ll be boosted by the return of Cam Rayner, who’s slated for more midfield time,from an ACL injury, while Eric Hipwood is expected to miss most of the season with the same injury. Noah Answerth will also return from a groin injury that plagued him last year, with Grant Birchall’s retirement opening up a spot in the backline. Answerth got the last bench spot over the likes of Rhys Mathieson and Callum Ah Chee to provide that defensive support. The Lions brought in Darcy Fort from Geelong in the offseason and he could easily be in the 22, but we’d have Dan McStay and Joe Daniher backing up Oscar McInerney in the ruck for now, while Tom Fullarton will also be competing for the same spot.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Only about 5/6 months to go but below is foxsports Lions best 22 and comments
The bolded are players i think could miss out if we have no injuries

BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

HB: Ryan Lester, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson

HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Zac Bailey

F: Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Deven Robertson, Keidean Coleman, Noah Answerth

In: Darcy Fort

Out: Grant Birchall, Archie Smith,

WE SAY: The Lions enter the 2022 season with a very similar side to the one that went down the Western Bulldogs by one point in the semi final. They’ll be boosted by the return of Cam Rayner, who’s slated for more midfield time,from an ACL injury, while Eric Hipwood is expected to miss most of the season with the same injury. Noah Answerth will also return from a groin injury that plagued him last year, with Grant Birchall’s retirement opening up a spot in the backline. Answerth got the last bench spot over the likes of Rhys Mathieson and Callum Ah Chee to provide that defensive support. The Lions brought in Darcy Fort from Geelong in the offseason and he could easily be in the 22, but we’d have Dan McStay and Joe Daniher backing up Oscar McInerney in the ruck for now, while Tom Fullarton will also be competing for the same spot.
IMO Mitch Robbo could miss out as well, I really like how Jaxon Prior developed this season, if he continues to improve I can see him coming in. That Fox side also has 8 defenders, personally I think Froggy could miss out.

A full off season and a good run at it early and I don't think Jarrod Berry would be any chance of being left out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back