mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
Elbow injuries....goddamn I still have nightmares over those bloody things ruining Beau Waters' career. I wouldn't have been messing around with that at all, I'm so tired of hearing of players playing injured and the 'excuses' coming out after the season.
Get them right asap and play fit *ers ffs

I think Simmo mentioned before Round 23 that Gov would need to undergo hip surgery at some point too, so you'd think he's also part of that group.
He definitely said that McGovern would probably need surgery but there’s been no mention of it since.

Can only assume that they’ve decided not to operate for whatever reason - unlike Sheed and Barrass he didn’t go to Brisbane and have to quarantine for 2 weeks which likely explains why they’ve only just had their surgery

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
He definitely said that McGovern would probably need surgery but there’s been no mention of it since.

Can only assume that they’ve decided not to operate for whatever reason - unlike Sheed and Barrass he didn’t go to Brisbane and have to quarantine for 2 weeks which likely explains why they’ve only just had their surgery
Here we go - Gov to miss 2022 after rest fails to fix his hip and he has surgery in March 2022

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City

Probably identified the issue as the remains of a half-eaten Zinger burger that he fell asleep upon.

Layoff concern likely due to him then consuming the rest of that burger after it was found.

Far out you lot are pretty calm.

If there is any and I mean any doubt that our medical department is full of brain injured crabs it has been removed by Oscar admitting what we all suspected.

The only genuine A-grade young talent on our list and we keep sending the kid out there, risking his long term health/career. His form turned to s**t and this only added to the dysfunction in our forward line. Repeatedly far too tall and then selecting unfit talls to boot. Way to abuse Allen AND keep on screwing up our team balance.

Brain dead by all parties. Medico's, MC and coaching panel. We have really done our best, at every turn, to stymie our short, medium and long term goals. Amateur hour stuff from a supposedly well run club.

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast

If there is any and I mean any doubt that our medical department is full of brain injured crabs it has been removed by Oscar admitting what we all suspected.

The only genuine A-grade young talent on our list and we keep sending the kid out there, risking his long term health/career. His form turned to sh*t and this only added to the dysfunction in our forward line. Repeatedly far too tall and then selecting unfit talls to boot. Way to abuse Allen AND keep on screwing up our team balance.

Brain dead by all parties. Medico's, MC and coaching panel. We have really done our best, at every turn, to stymie our short, medium and long term goals. Amateur hour stuff from a supposedly well run club.
By the sound of it the injury couldn't get any worse and they gave the option to allen of playing through the pain or surgery mid season .
I'm much more concerned about Allen's 2 concussions this year

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

The only genuine A-grade young talent on our list and we keep sending the kid out there, risking his long term health/career. His form turned to sh*t and this only added to the dysfunction in our forward line. Repeatedly far too tall and then selecting unfit talls to boot. Way to abuse Allen AND keep on screwing up our team balance.

grow up and go to Freo where you will fit in

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
So i've had elbow issues and if it was a fracture of the radial head and the fracture is less than 30% of the bone it is something that you can either opt to have surgery on, aim to heal naturally or have fixed later. If the fracture is more than 30% of the total it requires surgery straight away.

I had a 30.7% fracture of the radial head (along with 4 other fractures to the lower arm that weren't diagnosed for another 3 days) and was recommended surgery straight away but chose not to as the time off work from surgery would have been 4 weeks longer than without. Mind you and this is potentially the worrying part, the piece of my radial head moved, reattached in the wrong position and I still need surgery which requires re-breaking it, pins and plates. I still cant extend my elbow fully, can't put full strength through the arm or play tennis or similar.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
So i've had elbow issues and if it was a fracture of the radial head and the fracture is less than 30% of the bone it is something that you can either opt to have surgery on, aim to heal naturally or have fixed later. If the fracture is more than 30% of the total it requires surgery straight away.

I had a 30.7% fracture of the radial head (along with 4 other fractures to the lower arm that weren't diagnosed for another 3 days) and was recommended surgery straight away but chose not to as the time off work from surgery would have been 4 weeks longer than without. Mind you and this is potentially the worrying part, the piece of my radial head moved, reattached in the wrong position and I still need surgery which requires re-breaking it, pins and plates. I still cant extend my elbow fully, can't put full strength through the arm or play tennis or similar.
Thanks for sharing. It's your nightmare scenario that makes me think that we should be more conservative with the treatment of injury in our younger players.

With Oscar, if he had the surgery he could have been back later in the season with a working arm. Surely that is better than having a young bloke running around not contributing at his normal level all while risking a more serious injury.

By the sound of it the injury couldn't get any worse and they gave the option to allen of playing through the pain or surgery mid season .
I'm much more concerned about Allen's 2 concussions this year

The injury couldn't get any worse.

Our medico's are like a broken record on that front. We must be the luckiest club in the land to pick up so many of these injuries.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Footy players getting surgery at the end of the season? Stop the presses.

Our medicos, under pressure from coaches and players, need to make calls during the season. Sometime they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong. Ours appear to have gotten it wrong a bit too often in recent times (Allen being the latest example) but without a medical degree and access to all the facts we won't ever know for sure.

Criticism is warranted, but let's not start spouting off definitive conclusions like a bunch of Doc Larkinses.

Yeo out for 10 months with OP.
Cameron wrecked by OP
Shuey with 'string after 'string
Hutchings 'string after 'string
Gov playing injured
Allen playing injured

It's a pattern of poor performance in two key areas of the back room. The MC and the coaches have zero faith in the bottom half of the list.

The whole club is becalmed.

I really hope Simpson's speech signals some meaningful shake up is taking place this off-season. Some important first steps taken in the coaching dept. but the medical and S&C area is crying out for a fresh approach too. It should not be overlooked.

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo out for 10 months with OP.
Cameron wrecked by OP
Shuey with 'string after 'string
Hutchings 'string after 'string
Gov playing injured
Allen playing injured

It's a pattern of poor performance in two key areas of the back room. The MC and the coaches have zero faith in the bottom half of the list.

The whole club is becalmed.

I really hope Simpson's speech signals some meaningful shake up is taking place this off-season. Some important first steps taken in the coaching dept. but the medical and S&C area is crying out for a fresh approach too. It should not be overlooked.
Pretty sure a lot of the groin and soft tissue injuries are a result of new playing and training facilities.

Freo have had the same problems

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast

I call bullshit on the explanation you were given

Back