Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to Leigh Matthews just then with Rowe, he is as perplexed with that prelim from Port as everyone else.

Said he half expected the cats performance against the dees, but reckons this Port no show has no rhyme or reason. He also said that when he was coaching he always felt responsible for how the team showed up in the first 15 minutes.

Bit of a vailed swipe at the footy dept there.

I'm wondering if the news about Schoey moving on may have affected the guys - given we got absolutely trounced in the midfield and in the contest.

Listening to Hammer yesterday on SEN and being asked what they'd do differently, Hammer went straight to the lack of structure at stoppages in the midfield. Hammer seemed to be pretty certain on what went wrong. I really do think there were issues around setup and Schoey's instructions possibly not being popular with the midfield group.

Good to have lost, the boys were able to head to Balaklava today for the races, get on the beer, smile on the dial.
I'd be too embarrassed to be anywhere in public after that showing.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yea I mean they are allowed to have a life but I'd be laying off certain activities & being an instagram **** for a week or so if it were me.

Listening to Hammer yesterday on SEN and being asked what they'd do differently, Hammer went straight to the lack of structure at stoppages in the midfield. Hammer seemed to be pretty certain on what went wrong. I really do think there were issues around setup and Schoey's instructions possibly not being popular with the midfield group.

I think that's an easy out.

It might have had some impact on the game as a whole but midfield structure doesn't make guys short-step, doesn't make guys not bother to run, doesn't make guys fall over or tackle like a 5th grader and the list goes on. And if the whole team decided that just because of the midfield coaches instructions they were all going to do that in a prelim - then * the lot of them

Anyone trying to sell a story that we lost because of anything other than a complete lack of effort on nearly every level is only trying to divert attention away from whatever was the real issue on the night.

It was insipid and other areas of concern may have attributed to the loss but the most glaring deficiency was pride & want.

Everything else is pure fluff.

I think that's an easy out.

It might have had some impact on the game as a whole but midfield structure doesn't make guys short-step, doesn't make guys not bother to run, doesn't make guys fall over or tackle like a 5th grader and the list goes on. And if the whole team decided that just because of the midfield coaches instructions they were all going to do that in a prelim - then fu** the lot of them

Anyone trying to sell a story that we lost because of anything other than a complete lack of effort on nearly every level is only trying to divert attention away from whatever was the real issue on the night.

It was insipid and other areas of concern may have attributed to the loss but the most glaring deficiency was pride & want.

Everything else is pure fluff.

Agreed and fair comments, I hope we find out what that real issue is. I do think that it started in the midfield though, Lycett was clearly winning the ruck contest yet we couldn't do anything with it. Then scoreboard pressure kicks in along with the dogs pressure affects the mental state of the players ie. rushing, not wanting the footy etc. We melted.

Hey Janus any explanation for what was served up Saturday. You have an interesting way of putting things and are generally positive, so I'm keen to hear your thoughts. How could the players be so psychologically bamboozled commencing that game?

What's your opinion as to whether there is any bouncing back from this or do we need some wholesale changes.

Email from Richo this morning. Glad that's finally happened, I appreciate the communication.

Says all the expected things about understanding the pain but it does at least admit failure and say "we will review every part of our season". However Richo goes on to say "We don’t need to dramatically change our program" so clearly there's no fault in that :(.

Email from Richo this morning. Glad that's finally happened, I appreciate the communication.

Says all the expected things about understanding the pain but it does at least admit failure and say "we will review every part of our season". However Richo goes on to say "We don’t need to dramatically change our program" so clearly there's no fault in that :(.

Just need to change the personal in the program!

Hey Janus any explanation for what was served up Saturday. You have an interesting way of putting things and are generally positive, so I'm keen to hear your thoughts. How could the players be so psychologically bamboozled commencing that game?

5n51vz.jpg

What's your opinion as to whether there is any bouncing back from this or do we need some wholesale changes.

Every player needs to kick 10m longer something something something Wolves have long legs something something something Wingard something something something Too many players deliberately handballing to team mates feet something something something Just wait until we get our players back from injury something something something Supporters at the ground too loud (or was it too quiet, I can't remember that one).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley - failed big time. Literally every thing that a simpleton would have flagged as a issue or what the dogs would do, happened, and not only were we unprepared for it but we actively played into it like our coach is some sort of plant.

Stef Martin will be cooked almost immediately but will likely give a big few early minutes so lycett should be prepared and we should have our midfielders aware of defensive positioning at the start? Nah.

The dogs midfield and Libba in particular will be dirty about our last meeting and will come out looking for a fast start so we might want to start drew and look at defensive matchups and even play a little defensive at stoppages for the first 5mins?! Nah

After having the torch applied to him all week treloar might come out hot and we should have our wingers pay attention to him early? Nah

The dogs will seek to make Alir accountable so we should have a plan for that? Nah let’s play him deep in the goal square playing behind his man all night.

The dogs have few goalscorers and naughton has been out of form and needs a big night to get form. Is known for running and jumping at the ball so having a body in front of him might be a good idea. Nah play him from behind.

While we played well last week Marshall and Dixon struggled to hold marks with our delivery and Georgiades out will hurt us? Nah.

Our smalls last week while looking showy actually couldn’t crumb off of Dixon Marshall Ladhams to save their lives and got their goals from midfield creating play for them? Should we address that? Nah.

Wines - worked hard. Did some alright things. Great year.

Bonner - worked hard to get used in chains, used it well. Defensively alright. Has had a very good and underrated second half of year.

Amon - not really effective. Shut out. Very good year.

Lycett - unforgivable start to the game which has been a common theme this year and played a part in us losing this game. I don’t care if he works into games his starts and capitulations against average rucks this year has hurt us. Doing a super thing every now and again doesn’t make up for average contests in the ruck and being a non-threat to mark around the ground. The idea that he’s got the ruck position set up for years here is foul. He’s a mediocre ruck who is an honest trier and he’s 29. He’s got 30-40 games left here and the sooner we replace him the better.

Houston - lots of work to get to the ball, had some good stuff but also some mistakes. So so game. Weird year where he was one of the best players in the league pre-injury then became flaky after.

Boak - nothing game today. He’s a champion of the club but he’s slowed down this year and slowed down as the year went on. People expecting him to play on forever might be disappointed. He’s human. I reckon next year is his last.

Gray - tried hard but the body wasn’t willing. Story of his year. Can’t compete as a forward anymore so tries to play as a mid around packs and use his smarts.

Burton - sh*t night. Was kept busy by his opponent and offered zero help to under fire teammates and was panicked with ball. Very good year.

Dixon - sh*t night against a no name opponent. Our talls didn’t get much chance, and Dixon often brought it to ground but we expect more from our senior gun kf against a no name defender.

Alir - sh*t night. Played the game all wrong, like someone told him what to do and he did the opposite or beveridge snuck a new gameplan into his mailbox on Thursday night. Disposal was bombscare stuff. Had a great season but his game is so reliant on the opposition letting him play his way.

Rozee - moronic decision making, hands like melted butter, kicking horrific. Just bizarre. Weird year from rozee.

Bergman - meh. Had some moments both good and bad. Tonnes to like about his year. Still so young. Still time to ports him.

Duursma - poor game wasted year.

McKenzie - horrific dumb dumb dumb game. Just dumb. Played naughton like he had been paid off by naughtons Mum to let him have a go at it. Decent year but another player like Alir who is only good when the team lets him play the way he wants to play.

Dbj - invisible non effort that was as embarrassing as his year. Before this year I said he was a future captain. Right now he’s barely first 22 and if he had any trade value I would consider it. Nearly one of the worst on tonight after just such a sh*t sh*t year. He needs to be pulled aside, told to throw his all-aus award in the trash and start next year in the Maggie’s and work his butt off or he can fu** off.

Jonas - meh game, meh year, meh Captain. Hand the captaincy to wines next year cause Jonas shouldn’t even be a lock to be first 22 much less captain.

Marshall - worked hard and one of our shining lights early. Smart ball use. Still doing short run ups which is frustrating. Don’t we have a single coach with a brain cell to realise we’re teaching something wrong here that every player comes to our club with decent kicks for goal but become worse and a clear commonality is that they all take shorter run ups here? At gold cost dixon took much longer run ups. We actively try to fu** sh*t up here. Has had a decent year but needs to keep working on his game.

Drew - lol at having him on the bench watching dogs midfield walk the ball out. fu** me. Came on and did a very strong defensive job but we are getting to the stage where we can’t have a mid in there not winning his own ball while our other mids aren’t all amazing. Next season has to become a 18d+ 5 clearance a game + every single week mid.

Ladhams - poor game. Got to the drop of the ball a heap of times early, and held nothing. Wasn’t even close to holding them. At least brought them to ground (for the dogs defenders cause our small forwards are useless). Nothing game in the ruck. Actually got worse as the game went on to be honest. Had a strong second half of the year but is such a weird unit we can’t ever let him rest on his laurels and feel safe. Needs to think he’s on the fringe of being a McDonald’s worker for the foreseeable future imo.

Motlop - insipid performance. Just disgusting. Looked like me at the dentist whenever he went near the ball, which was as little as he could manage. I don’t even want him to be offered another contract right now. Why bother. His career is over.

Fantasia- downhill skier. Classic. Let’s never ever pretend that our small forwards are anything other than leeches that make something off of our midfielders or forwards. Fantasia will look good cause he’s got the skills to make something of those chances, but fu** me.

The big fuss made about our smalls leading up to this game. I would happily play 6 talls and let’s not pretend that we would be losing defensive pressure coming out. Did any of them touch a player all night or did they think they were playing people with the Black Plague?

Spp - made an effort when he came on but it was mostly useless tough guy and unskilled stuff. Poor year where he’s been played out of position. Nearly useless as a forward imo. Next year play him as a mid or just trade him.
Great summary. Agree with most of this.

Something that's been bothering me since Saturday night has been this ex post facto narrative around our midfield not being good enough, etc.

Wines is Brownlow favourite. Boak was runner up in last year's Brownlow. Drew destroyed Liberatore in R23 and has generally been getting rave reviews this year. Amon made the AA squad. Lycett is a premiership ruckman - beating Gawn in a PF and Grundy in a GF.

It's bullshit. Sure, our midfield isn't as deep as the Bulldogs. Has anyone's ever been? And yes Boak is 33 but that's not immediately relevant given how he's been playing.

Our midfield is good enough. They didn't turn up. Full stop.

Something that's been bothering me since Saturday night has been this ex post facto narrative around our midfield not being good enough, etc.

Wines is Brownlow favourite. Boak was runner up in last year's Brownlow. Drew destroyed Liberatore in R23 and has generally been getting rave reviews this year. Amon made the AA squad. Lycett is a premiership ruckman - beating Gawn in a PF and Grundy in a GF.

It's bullshit. Sure, our midfield isn't as deep as the Bulldogs. Has anyone's ever been? And yes Boak is 33 but that's not immediately relevant given how he's been playing.

Our midfield is good enough. They didn't turn up. Full stop.

Old mate could handpick 40 players from across the AFL and you get the feeling some would be left lamenting a talent deficit in hindsight.

677904CC-AE6A-42E6-89F0-3B31A31DDC1B.jpeg

“There’s no hiding from the fact our ruck tandem of Gawn and Grundy were well beaten on the night, and it was all uphill for Bontempelli, Walsh, Fyfe and Petracca from there. Just gotta work harder. We got a long way to go to be like the Kangarilla Thirds”

Apparently a bad start was the problem. If only someone had warned them that could happen.

To be fair, we hadn't started slowly in too many games this year, there wasn't much of an opportunity to review how and why that would happen and come up with ways to stem the flow when it does.

... :cool:

To be fair, we hadn't started slowly in too many games this year, there wasn't much of an opportunity to review how and why that would happen and come up with ways to stem the flow when it does.

... :cool:

I know, it's like expecting icebergs in the North Atlantic. I mean who saw that coming, right?

I know, it's like expecting icebergs in the North Atlantic. I mean who saw that coming, right?

I particularly liked the way we had a slow start against the Dogs only weeks before but couldn't change the starting midfield because "that's what we did last time"

So what's their excuse for the rest of the game, it only got worse.

Belatedly caught up with the montage of poo-pants’d fumbles/drops, short-steps, pull-outs, limp tackles and half-arsed chases as highlighted by Nick Riewoldt on Couch.

It’s actually worse than I remember on the night — you’d be forgiven for believing the team was actively throwing the game, or hadn’t slept in days.

Let’s reload with the same boffins in charge!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back