Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I particularly liked the way we had a slow start against the Dogs only weeks before but couldn't change the starting midfield because "that's what we did last time"
Or that a side with players under a cloud and not having the week would see their best chance of a win as coming out hard whilst their bodies were holding up, as a do or die blitzkrieg attack on the game. Ken rightly deserves the most blame, but if it was obvious to anyone following the two sides at all, what the Bulldogs tactics would be, we must have one of the dumbest collections of players in the AFL to not individually realise how their opponents would start the game.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Here at maralinga i am still like a lot v disappointed by he prelim result. However my disappointment does not accept the ridicule of this thread title ie an actual football team.

so bave yu are a v weak port adelaide supporter to dump like that.

what if i constantly each page gave a variation of Hinkley is coach until 2023.
i could jump to the top of number rankings? Is that really the point of a forum?
A weak port supporter accepts the mediocrity. That oh better luck next year, they tried hard attitude doesn’t cut it..
Our club is a laughing stock.

Our club is a laughing stock.

It literally is. I saw a mediocre 90’s Bulldogs player taking the p¡ss in the comments section of an unofficial Port Facebook page and there’s literally no comeback.

9 years of sTaBiLiTy for this.

Black 18

Club Legend
May 21, 2007
Seacliff
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Belatedly caught up with the montage of poo-pants’d fumbles/drops, short-steps, pull-outs, limp tackles and half-arsed chases as highlighted by Nick Riewoldt on Couch.

It’s actually worse than I remember on the night — you’d be forgiven for believing the team was actively throwing the game, or hadn’t slept in days.

Let’s reload with the same boffins in charge!

It's much worse than I thought too while watching.

I'm up to 3qtr time of my third watching, not because I have any sort of weird fetish for total embarrassment but simply because I can't believe what went down.

I know one thing though, this will take years to get over. Absolutely guarantee that every single team will be replaying those 'highlights' before each game next year and coming at us knowing we have a soft, soft underbelly and it's impossible to argue anything other than that.

It was unforgivable IMO.

And just to prove how soft we are I'm led to believe they have decided against reviewing this as a playing group. Might trigger somebody, or someone might feel shame. We'll leave all those nasty feelings for the supporters and we'll get a big rug and a even bigger broom, pretend it didn't happen, hastily trade for anyone still willing to come to the club, and have to put up with a llongggggggggggggggggggg summer of "trust us".

Good to have lost, the boys were able to head to Balaklava today for the races, get on the beer, smile on the dial.
I'd be too embarrassed to be anywhere in public after that showing.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It'll be interesting to see how the boys respond next year, if they happen to come up against Melbourne, Bulldogs or Brisbane in round 1. We'll no doubt see if they've been mentally scarred by last week's disaster, or they've managed to put it behind them. Gotta say I'm not confident about such a scenario.

Zak when you lose by 12 goals that's not a slow start, that's a slow entire ******* game
And the Dogs kicked 3:6 in the 2nd quarter - it could have been a helluva lot worse than 12 goals.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It'll be interesting to see how the boys respond next year, if they happen to come up against Melbourne, Bulldogs or Brisbane in round 1. We'll no doubt see if they've been mentally scarred by last week's disaster, or they've managed to put it behind them. Gotta say I'm not confident about such a scenario.
In 2008 we opened with a one goal loss to Geelong and it seemed like some sort of respectful effort at the time.

It wasn't.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
OK, we had a bad start because they took us by surprise. Just like the Japanese at Pearl Harbor, we never saw them coming. That's our excuse and we're sticking to it.

So what's the excuse for the bad finish? We came out after half time, had a brief period of dominance, kicked a couple of goals, got the margin back into the 40s and threatened to make the final score at least semi-respectable.

Then Marshall makes his comical blunder from directly in front, the heads drop and we concede the next five goals to a team that's just going through the motions by that stage because they've already won the game and are thinking about next week, and the margin blows out to 70+ points.

This just screams poor preparation, lack of heart and mental weakness and I've seen nothing in the statements coming from the club so far to suggest that these problems permeating through the club are even understood, much less acknowledged with the expectation of then being fixed.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
OK, we had a bad start because they took us by surprise. Just like the Japanese at Pearl Harbor, we never saw them coming. That's our excuse and we're sticking to it.

So what's the excuse for the bad finish? We came out after half time, had a brief period of dominance, kicked a couple of goals, got the margin back into the 40s and threatened to make the final score at least semi-respectable.

Then Marshall makes his comical blunder from directly in front, the heads drop and we concede the next five goals to a team that's just going through the motions by that stage because they've already won the game and are thinking about next week, and the margin blows out to 70+ points.

This just screams poor preparation, lack of heart and mental weakness and I've seen nothing in the statements coming from the club so far to suggest that these problems permeating through the club are even understood, much less acknowledged with the expectation of then being fixed.

A bloke almost 2 metres tall managed to get his finger tip to a ball that would otherwise have gone through the big sticks. There were probably 100 more comical blunders in that quarter from almost every player we had on the park.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good grief, now Nick I lost a grand final because I was smothered in the goalsquare Riewoldt is going to town on us.

And we deserve it.

He actually made some really good points around that.

Said that he could sleep well at night despite the disappointment because he knew from an effort perspective they had done everything they possibly could to succeed. Reckon anybody at Port could say the same?

Iwish

XUS NEK
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It'll be interesting to see how the boys respond next year, if they happen to come up against Melbourne, Bulldogs or Brisbane in round 1. We'll no doubt see if they've been mentally scarred by last week's disaster, or they've managed to put it behind them. Gotta say I'm not confident about such a scenario
[QUOTE="philreich, post: 72205469, member:
Ok its only a whisper from the same guy who gives me info on the draw from Melb. Every year. But the early draft of the first 3 or 4 rounds is being done the fullvdraw will be out mid october. This guy has got it right a couple of times, he got round 1 last year wrong but only by a couple games. But according to him the draft has us playing at home in round 1 next year. against the hawks. Showdown will be early next year round 3 or 4 and is a crows home game. And for those interested crows will be away to freo round 1. Let's see how it comes out

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
This won’t take years to get over if they embrace the failure. If they admit their faults, if they make no excuses and fully embrace all the mocking and shame that comes with it, don’t run, don’t hide, accept it, admit it, it’s true, we are a joke at the moment.. use that too fuel them on to bigger and better things, get angry at yourselves, we failed, we choked, we are failed chokers, no one else to blame. Do something about it…

If they mollycoddle, make excuses, believe they aren’t far off, make minimal changes, treat it as just an aberration, pay no attention to those that are rightfully mocking and shaming the club, if they protect precious feelings, then the club is doomed and will get nowhere…

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This won’t take years to get over if they embrace the failure. If they admit their faults, if they make no excuses and fully embrace all the mocking and shame that comes with it, don’t run, don’t hide, accept it, admit it, it’s true, we are a joke at the moment.. use that too fuel them on to bigger and better things, get angry at yourselves, we failed, we choked, we are failed chokers, no one else to blame. Do something about it…

If they mollycoddle, make excuses, believe they aren’t far off, make minimal changes, treat it as just an aberration, pay no attention to those that are rightfully mocking and shaming the club, if they protect precious feelings, then the club is doomed and will get nowhere…
When has anyone of note accepted responsibility in the Hinkley era? It's either a one-off, 'not us', etc. or the one where everyone is to blame, sharing it so widely, that it's the same as if no one is to blame. Nothing from the club or any of the players since the game has given any confidence that a single one of them has admitted the problems yet, let alone ways to fix them.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
He actually made some really good points around that.

Said that he could sleep well at night despite the disappointment because he knew from an effort perspective they had done everything they possibly could to succeed. Reckon anybody at Port could say the same?
Lol they lost the replay by ten goals.

That's not at all true.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
They also went missing in the last 10 minutes of the 2009 GF. Were totally dominated when the game was on the line.
Cut them slack there as they probably ran low on steam with their Ross Lyon gameplay and got done over by a lucky bounce on to Scarlett's foot, and the Norm Smith Medalist for Geelong was blood spinning.

Only one goal was kicked in the last quarter. One more was kicked after the siren.

PortWTF

All Australian
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

100%. Day one of pre-season should be reviewing this game in detail, showing every set of short steps, every eye taken off the ball, every missed spoil, every time someone let their opponent run away from them. Every single player has to own it, and commit to never doing it again.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When has anyone of note accepted responsibility in the Hinkley era? It's either a one-off, 'not us', etc. or the one where everyone is to blame, sharing it so widely, that it's the same as if no one is to blame. Nothing from the club or any of the players since the game has given any confidence that a single one of them has admitted the problems yet, let alone ways to fix them.
Nothing at all since the Norwood flog admitted to dropping the ball.

Which is why we need some straight shooters at the club. No more towing the party line, and no more trying to please everyone. Blight joined the Crows in 1997, and didn't care who he upset - the results were there for all to see. More of that at Alberton please.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Something that's been bothering me since Saturday night has been this ex post facto narrative around our midfield not being good enough, etc.

Wines is Brownlow favourite. Boak was runner up in last year's Brownlow. Drew destroyed Liberatore in R23 and has generally been getting rave reviews this year. Amon made the AA squad. Lycett is a premiership ruckman - beating Gawn in a PF and Grundy in a GF.

It's bullshit. Sure, our midfield isn't as deep as the Bulldogs. Has anyone's ever been? And yes Boak is 33 but that's not immediately relevant given how he's been playing.

Our midfield is good enough. They didn't turn up. Full stop.

I would 100% question their disposal (all of the midfielders) it is not elite at all.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
In 2008 we opened with a one goal loss to Geelong and it seemed like some sort of respectful effort at the time.

It wasn't.

Still remember the headline in the morning after that game. Something along the lines of "An 105 point improvement on last time, but still a loss."

Still remember the headline in the morning after that game. Something along the lines of "An 105 point improvement on last time, but still a loss."

that was a very strange feeling game, in the shadow of what had preceded it. so much uncomfortable relief that it was a mere defeat rather than another burning embarrassment. watched the last quarter from the bar and it felt like we were scoring junk time goals but in reality the expectation and care factor was low, just as long as that didn't happen again the painkillers were working.

Nothing at all since the Norwood flog admitted to dropping the ball.

Keith Thomas declaring the 2017 season a ‘pass’, amidst gifting Hinkley a contract extension despite 3 consecutive horror years.

For all the hyperbole surrounding ‘outsiders’ and ‘Port people’ and whathaveyou, it’s at moments like that you could probably do with having a Bruce Weber or Tim Ginever making the big decisions, and not an ex-teammate of the coach in question, or a Sydney-based morning show host.

The ingrained mediocrity stems from there.

Back