Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of potential first round prospects, Darcy Wilmot fits that profile of offensive running and offering genuine defence.

Sinn and Wanganeen-Milera are very much offensive players.

Goater has played halfback before, but I don’t know what he’s like as a defensive player. As a midfielder, he certainly has to work on his defensive running.

Goater not a great defensive player, no.

Willmot seems like a ‘Lions’ pick. He’s high on my overall list and one of my main targets to add some dash if we can’t get Sinn.

I don't think we should be too hung up on Payne being a full time forward in the future. First and foremost he's a key defender and has the potential to be a very good one, albeit he only played a half against the Dogs but nothing in that game showed me he has the ability to be a genuine forward option other than bringing the ball to ground which I've said before isn't setting the bar very high, I think he has a much higher ceiling as a defender and very occasionally used as a pinch-hitting forward when needed. Along with this there are a couple kids in the draft around our picks that have a much higher potential as swing-men that can play key position at either end. Another thing Fages talked about in his interview is that a settled team is one of the big contributing factors in winning and he believes we're very close to going the whole way so I'm not expecting too many big changes next season.
Payne playing forward while Hippy is out injured was mentioned on our board last week, Fages then mentioned it on the Roar Deal yesterday so that is the reason for it being suggested now, I don't think Fagan or anyone on here sees it as a permanent move..... unless he stars there and changes minds.

Payne playing forward while Hippy is out injured was mentioned on our board last week, Fages then mentioned it on the Roar Deal yesterday so that is the reason for it being suggested now, I don't think Fagan or anyone on here sees it as a permanent move..... unless he stars there and changes minds.

Sounds like he just considers him KPF depth

Would reckon he gets far more ruck/forward training this preseason than he has before.

I read somewhere that Fages said he would only one club. I reckon when they ask him to be the Tasmanian AFL teams inaugural coach, that will go out the window.

And good on him. That principaled streak in him is a big bit of what has made him so good.

I read somewhere that Fages said he would only one club. I reckon when they ask him to be the Tasmanian AFL teams inaugural coach, that will go out the window.

And good on him. That principaled streak in him is a big bit of what has made him so good.
Yeah said he would only be senior coach at one club but seemed to be open to other roles.

I don't think we should be too hung up on Payne being a full time forward in the future. First and foremost he's a key defender and has the potential to be a very good one, albeit he only played a half against the Dogs but nothing in that game showed me he has the ability to be a genuine forward option other than bringing the ball to ground which I've said before isn't setting the bar very high, I think he has a much higher ceiling as a defender and very occasionally used as a pinch-hitting forward when needed.

Nothing In that game…………when he copped the hit there was 15 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. You have made a judgement virtually on one quarter of finals footy.

Kiddy probably didn’t appear overly versatile until he was tried at half back in a VFL scratch game. Sometimes adversity presents opportunity & you don’t what you really have until you give someone that opportunity.

Give Jack a chance up forward and perhaps hold judgement until a reasonable sample size is presented.

So with Fages saying that with the group being close to, or in their window, he feels he owes it to the players to get in a highly regarded and experienced Midfield Coach to replace Dale Tapping.

Who do we think he may be chasing?

Who are the good experienced and proven midfield coaches in the game?

Vossy, Adam Yze, Caracella, Gian Seracusa (not sure of spelling), Lappin maybe?

Who else is out there?

So with Fages saying that with the group being close to, or in their window, he feels he owes it to the players to get in a highly regarded and experienced Midfield Coach to replace Dale Tapping.

Who do we think he may be chasing?

Who are the good experienced and proven midfield coaches in the game?

Vossy, Adam Yze, Caracella, Gian Seracusa (not sure of spelling), Lappin maybe?

Who else is out there?

The guy I would love to get up here is Mark Williams. Great, great teaching coach especially in the midfield. No surprise Melbourne suddenly made a huge jump when he came onboard.

No chance of happening but he is the guy I would at least ask.

The guy I would love to get up here is Mark Williams. Great, great teaching coach especially in the midfield. No surprise Melbourne suddenly made a huge jump when he came onboard.

No doubt, he has been credited by a lot of the Melbourne players as being a massive influence to both the team and individuals.
Would be a great get, but can’t see it happening, Stranger things I guess!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt, he has been credited by a lot of the Melbourne players as being a massive influence to both the team and individuals.
Would be a great get, but can’t see it happening, Stranger things I guess!

The Bears inaugural vice captain. Just bringing him home after all these years ;)

Not sure he'd want to come back to Qld but has been a bit of a "gun for hire" these last few years so would be worth the ask. Even had a stint coaching Ajax in the amateurs so funnier things have happened.

Yze, if not contracted, could be worth enquiring about. Though bit of sideway move for him.
I think Yze would be a great option, bit of a sideways move for the immediate future but you’d think Goodwin has a lot more time left as a head coach compared to Fages and Yze could view this as an opportunity to take the head role in a couple years.

I think Yze would be a great option, bit of a sideways move for the immediate future but you’d think Goodwin has a lot more time left as a head coach compared to Fages and Yze could view this as an opportunity to take the head role in a couple years.
True, though on reflection how hard is it to coach the Melbourne midfield - Hey Maxy just get the ball to Clarry or Petracca and if you want to snap the odd sausage then that is ok too.

You'd have to wonder about having two older heads together. There's no reason it shouldn't, but it feels a little weird to e.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back