List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Just as a topic of conversation, if Neale was to request a trade at the end of next season would the best option for the club to be to trade him for maximum value this offseason or to hold him and potentially get less for him next year but at least have him playing for us next season?

Best option would be for Neale to be upfront with us that he'll request a trade next year so we can do the groundwork to attract a developed quality midfielder like Taranto to come up North for him in essentially a straight swap. Getting picks alone isn't going to help us much next year other than perhaps meaning the 2023 draft hand becomes very strong.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe Neale will be 29 next season.So my personal view is strike while the iron is hot and if we recruit well it not only sets the club up for future sustained success it also frees up salary cash to throw at someone either now or next season in the right age bracket.His value is high at the moment and as any gambler should do, is cash in the chips while you are in front because it may evaporate before your eyes.

The second part and good on Zorks for saying it, the team has proven it can win without Neale and that shows to me this team is not a one man band and has the self belief to back in their own talent and win of its own accord. A compelling testament to the character of this team. We deserve to be well compensated as we are no longer the doormat club that can be treated with contempt.

Lions fans should think how this played out.Being honest and frank in your relationship is vitally important and if it is true the club only found out about it in the media is extremely poor to say the least especially when you are seen as an elder statesman of the club and young guys look up to you.You only have to look Jarrod Berry’s face when told by a reporter (a young player).it was the look of disbelief.
I believe Neale will be 29 next season.So my personal view is strike while the iron is hot and if we recruit well it not only sets the club up for future sustained success it also frees up salary cash to throw at someone either now or next season in the right age bracket.His value is high at the moment and as any gambler should do, is cash in the chips while you are in front because it may evaporate before your eyes.

The second part and good on Zorks for saying it, the team has proven it can win without Neale and that shows to me this team is not a one man band and has the self belief to back in their own talent and win of its own accord. A compelling testament to the character of this team. We deserve to be well compensated as we are no longer the doormat club that can be treated with contempt.

Lions fans should think how this played out.Being honest and frank in your relationship is vitally important and if it is true the club only found out about it in the media is extremely poor to say the least especially when you are seen as an elder statesman of the club and young guys look up to you.You only have to look Jarrod Berry’s face when told by a reporter (a young player).it was the look of disbelief.
The draft is a massive lotto though. This more than any in the past. Vic kids have hardly played in two years and have hardly had a competitive hit out against the other first round talent. I think in years to come we will look back and there will be gems scattered all throughout it, more so than ever before. It’s a massive risk to trade out a proven star for a potential star

brisbanelions

Senior List
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The draft is a massive lotto though. This more than any in the past. Vic kids have hardly played in two years and have hardly had a competitive hit out against the other first round talent. I think in years to come we will look back and there will be gems scattered all throughout it, more so than ever before. It’s a massive risk to trade out a proven star for a potential star

Great points.I bet that’s what Freo thought (The draft is a massive lotto though.)when they picked up Lachie at pick 58.I absolutely agree with you, look at Simon Black, who would of thought ,he would turn out to be a superstar when not being a 1st round pick. He made a lot of players taken before him look ordinary.

Got to have faith in our recruiting team.The other point you made is really valid too (I think in years to come we will look back and there will be gems scattered all throughout it, more so than ever before.) I think there will be gems absolutely this year due to what has happened and I also get your point about trading out a superstar but I have to put my view into context. Lachie will be 29 years old and if the club is ever going to get good currency the timing is now,(its all about timing) especially when he wanted to leave the club anyway.I think that last point is the most important thing to note here.Neale himself was contemplating leaving.He was the initiator not the club.

Sometimes clubs,people are forced into making decisions not knowing what the consequences/outcomes will be. If we hesitate/procrastinate the club may be missing out on, one of those potential gems that you speak about. Time for the mighty Lions to be bold and back their recruiting team. There are no guarantees but I am buoyant about some of the talent, we can only hope the cards fall our way.

Last edited:

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great points.I bet that’s what Freo thought (The draft is a massive lotto though.)when they picked up Lachie at pick 58.I absolutely agree with you, look at Simon Black, who would of thought ,he would turn out to be a superstar when not being a 1st round pick. He made a lot of players taken before him look ordinary.

Got to have faith in our recruiting team.The other point you made is really valid too (I think in years to come we will look back and there will be gems scattered all throughout it, more so than ever before.) I think there will be gems absolutely this year due to what has happened and I also get your point about trading out a superstar but I have to put my view into context. Lachie will be 29 years old and if the club is ever going to get good currency the timing is now,(its all about timing) especially when he wanted to leave the club anyway.I think that last point is the most important thing to note here.Neale himself was contemplating leaving.He was the initiator not the club.

Sometimes clubs,people are forced into making decisions not knowing what the consequences/outcomes will be. If we hesitate/procrastinate the club may be missing out on, one of those potential gems that you speak about. Time for the mighty Lions to be bold and back their recruiting team. There are no guarantees but I am buoyant about some of the talent, we can only hope the cards fall our way.
I understand that, but the way lachie plays. He could be this good for at least the next 3 years all injuries aside. Our window is open and I feel we are taking a slight step backwards if we are to trade him out now.
Mind you I’m backing him in to finish his career as a lion and then move back to Perth.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

All fair points
The other side of the coin is we get a couple of solid or dud kids and lose the 2022 Gf by 8 points without Neale
I don't see Neale going this year after his press conference committing to the Lions.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
All fair points
The other side of the coin is we get a couple of solid or dud kids and lose the 2022 Gf by 8 points without Neale
I don't see Neale going this year after his press conference committing to the Lions.
Did he say I luv youz all?

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All fair points

True, that press conference was pretty convincing and absolute.

Not quite as convincing and absolute as getting up in front of everyone at the footy club at the best & fairest awards and announcing your unwavering love and commitment to the place, but still, it was up there.

We're just going to have to wait until a few seconds after the trade deadline to know for sure.

Edit: Jason mp you bastard, you beat me to it.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Not quite as convincing and absolute as getting up in front of everyone at the footy club at the best & fairest awards and announcing your unwavering love and commitment to the place, but still, it was up there.

We're just going to have to wait until a few seconds after the trade deadline to know for sure.

For future reference I prefer you skinny bald decrepit bastard.

Big difference - Neale was sober.

brisbanelions

Senior List
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Archie - firstly I am sad your brother committed suicide. My condolences to you and your family . When I read what you wrote I just wanted to say props to you Archie. Well spoken and beautifully said. Wow. Here‘s hoping the future only brings good things to you and your family, and remember one thing a lion will always be a lion.

You have a heart of lion.Thank you.

Quote Archie -‘He shared his story with AFL.com.au, outlining how his brother's death drove him in every aspect of his life.

"There’s a whole big world outside the footy bubble and I’m excited to see what that holds for my family and I," he said.

"I’ll always be a proud Lion."

Back