Toast Welcome to Carlton Brian Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Great appointment but the part we don’t need is the self proclaimed “we are a destination club” rhetoric. Let’s just quietly but surely achieve some things with our actions first rather than words. We have a long way to go, this is an awesome first step but please stop the the noise that currently cannot be backed up.

Said it from early on, Clarkson will end up coaching you blokes. Deceptively shrewd operator who projects selflessness and loyalty (to Hawthorn) but is expertly following the playbook to jack his own fee up. The “the Mrs and I might travel overseas for a year” was a classic red herring.

Cook coming on board just confirms it for me. He and Clarko will already have come to a private agreement, a key plank of which will be too allow some more weeks space until the Blues’ big “surprise announcement”.

The tea leaves 🍃 are pretty obvious on this one.

guessen has cook news first item on crunch-time, whateley couldn't be more complimentary - extraordinary considering his anti-carlton stance.......go figure
You're saying Gerard Whateley isn't a Carlton hating, puppy kicking, "And your little dog, too!"-ing villain to be compared with Sauron?

I'm shocked to be sitting here.

guessen has cook news first item on crunch-time, whateley couldn't be more complimentary - extraordinary considering his anti-carlton stance.......go figure
Hutch and Pickering had a crack this morning (surprise surprise) saying "as if Cook is going to walk around training an assistant for 3 years" or something like that.
You hire substandard people people, they have a crack. You hire the best, they have a crack.
When we come out the other side of this, it will be be so much sweeter.

I certainly won't be celebrating our 17th flag any harder as a result of past negative media analysis - the media is part of the game and always has been - when you consider how insignificant the sport actually is with regard to real world issues, the media is merely playing it's role in a bizarrely lucrative sham........

I certainly won't be celebrating our 17th flag any harder as a result of past negative media analysis - the media is part of the game and always has been - when you consider how insignificant the sport actually is with regard to real world issues, the media is merely playing it's role in a bizarrely lucrative sham........
The media was pretty good to us for 17 consecutive weeks in 2000. Buying the papers was a treat. When it turns around on field, they'll say different things and our attitudes will change.

The media was pretty good to us for 17 consecutive weeks in 2000. Buying the papers was a treat. When it turns around on field, they'll say different things and our attitudes will change.
exactly, what is it people can't see? continually bagging those who have jobs that include reporting on your club doesn't somehow make you a better supporter

He’s a figure that may, finally, have the necessary credentials to tell the various power brokers to fu** off. There will be nowhere for the board to hide if he walks out.

Kick em in the nuts Cookie!
yep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

exactly, what is it people can't see? continually bagging those who have jobs that include reporting on your club doesn't somehow make you a better supporter
But I'm still going to bag them a little. I'm just slowly coming to the view that maybe I should be more internally consistent and keep that up as we improve. If I defend s**t clubs from the media while we're winning I would feel even more superior!

He’s a figure that may, finally, have the necessary credentials to tell the various power brokers to fu** off. There will be nowhere for the board to hide if he walks out.

Starting with the pokies King sitting in his ivory tower on the Gold Coast.

I know that video has been posted recently. Brian Cook is so well spoken and if you are worried about age slowing him down, I don’t think we need to be. He sounds like such a driven person who wants success in any roll he is involved in.

There is a great bit here about Matthew Scarlett. Would be exciting if we could get him to Carlton.

Last edited:
Great appointment but the part we don’t need is the self proclaimed “we are a destination club” rhetoric. Let’s just quietly but surely achieve some things with our actions first rather than words. We have a long way to go, this is an awesome first step but please stop the the noise that currently cannot be backed up.
Agree Whately will keep the tweet in his back pocket for the future

just a hunch

yep. they've revved me up and thus no probs with Sayers coming out loud and strong.

He's a great get but gee if Cook and Sayers can get the people rumoured then that would be huge! Clarkson, Scarlet and Wells are massive names. It's this sort of thing that leads to premierships.

Over the last 15 years in terms of off field people we have probably brought in just 2 who would have been considered elite, Malthouse and Russell. Cook is someone who would be considered elite and could lead others who would be considered elite to come as well. Very very exciting times which may not lead to immediate success but if we do build an off field team which is elite then all we need is stability and if we achieve that then I would be very surprised if we did not win at least one premiership in the next 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back