Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Keith Thomas declaring the 2017 season a ‘pass’, amidst gifting Hinkley a contract extension despite 3 consecutive horror years.

For all the hyperbole surrounding ‘outsiders’ and ‘Port people’ and whathaveyou, it’s at moments like that you could probably do with having a Bruce Weber or Tim Ginever making the big decisions, and not an ex-teammate of the coach in question, or a Sydney-based morning show host.

The ingrained mediocrity stems from there.
That's exactly what this club is lacking atm, strong leadership from people that put the club first.

Gra Gra reckons he would've got Dixon to start a huge melee in the first quarter as a momentum stopping tactic, lol old school but that thought alone makes him a better coach than old mate.

Goes against the Christian youth camp ethos we’re running with.

I know one player who wouldn't have taken a backward step and that was Brad Ebert. His selfless courageous play in the final qtr of last year's prelim will stay with me forever. Pity his example was pi**ed on this year.

After a loss like this, it's always good to take some time away to digest what happened.

"Why do you want to fight? I get why they wanna fight you, I know what they're fighting for...what about you? Listen to me, you've got everything to lose, he's got nothing to lose! When a fighter ain't got nothing to lose, he's dangerous!" - Creed II

The whole narrative around the Dogs coming into this game was just this. They had absolutely nothing to lose. Coming into the game after playing in Tasmania, then Brisbane, it was a free shot at a grand final, so they could play with the psychological freedom of just going out there and giving it their absolute best. Because they knew that even if they lost, people wouldn't hold it against them. The whole 'sleeping in their own beds' bullshit narrative.

And for the Western Bulldogs, their best is pretty ******* good. They weren't top two for most of the season for nothing.

Compare that to Port, who had everything to lose. Home prelim, pressure of the moment, weight of expectations to perform well etc. Some people embrace pressure like that and feed off of it. Most people, however, require another motivating factor to drive them beyond that paralysis of performance. Josh Carr said that in 2004, it wasn't the desire to win a flag that drove the Port playing group, but the fear of failing again. You can bet Richmond circa 2017 went through the same thought process after three elimination final failures in a row.

Tactically, we f’ed up around stoppages - which is why I'm not too concerned about Schofield leaving, and I don't think the club is either. The job of a line coach is to distil the overall strategy of the head coach into the tactics that the players can understand and execute. We've been constantly beaten in stoppages all year with the idea that we will take our +1 out of defence and send them up to the stoppage, whether it be Byrne-Jones or Houston. This might make sense if you're sending a big body like a Lachie Jones, Hamish Hartlett or even Miles Bergman into the fray...but Darcy and Dan just aren't going to cut it. Either too weak or too slow.

But even when you take that into consideration, we played as though we were the ones that had played the week before and the Dogs had the week off. No running to support, no desperation, no hunger - none of the attitude that is required to win a preliminary final, let alone win a flag. What happened? Did this team watch Melbourne completely destroy Geelong and think 'We can't beat this team', and mentally check out? Did we expect that same soft as sh*t performance that Geelong put up from a team that is just as much about pressure and contested possession as we are? Did they get ahead of themselves and think they didn't have to put in the same effort to beat the Dogs that they gave when they beat Geelong?

These are questions only the club can answer. And they can answer it by getting in the gym, getting on the track, and demanding excellence.

Even Ford's first race at Le Mans ended in failure.

glad i came upon the above from janus, because it has been a brain searching of how did this happen, if you take away the emotive blame game.
geelong supporters would be asking the same question after their less than satisfactory exit. Thanks for asking the questions janus.

Keith Thomas declaring the 2017 season a ‘pass’, amidst gifting Hinkley a contract extension despite 3 consecutive horror years.

For all the hyperbole surrounding ‘outsiders’ and ‘Port people’ and whathaveyou, it’s at moments like that you could probably do with having a Bruce Weber or Tim Ginever making the big decisions, and not an ex-teammate of the coach in question, or a Sydney-based morning show host.

The ingrained mediocrity stems from there.

I was so angry at that renewal that it's made me feel pretty numb for the ensuing failure really. I expect this club to fail under the current regime.

A clear, undeniably bad decision. A 3 year extension as a reward for a week 1 finals exit. The explanation provided being partly that Hinkley doesn't like being under contract pressure. Disgusting.

I'm not sure we'd have gotten a more anti-Port Adelaide decision if the most wretched bay 13 Crows fan had gone shoulder deep in KT and sock puppeted him throughout the process.

Edit: And again, nobody has paid for it. Everyone involved in the decision is either still here or left on their own terms. Disgraceful.

Last edited:
I was so angry at that renewal that it's made me feel pretty numb for the ensuing failure really. I expect this club to fail under the current regime.

A clear, undeniably bad decision. A 3 year extension as a reward for a week 1 finals exit. The explanation provided being partly that Hinkley doesn't like being under contract pressure. Disgusting.

I'm not sure we'd have gotten a more anti-Port Adelaide decision if the most wretched bay 13 Crows fan had gone shoulder deep in KT and sock puppeted him throughout the process.

Edit: And again, nobody has paid for it. Everyone involved in the decision is either still here or left on their own terms. Disgraceful.
I’m not sure KT did leave on his own terms.

Didn’t he do a mea culpa/hari kari in 2019 with that bizarre letter to the members, get told to pull his head in while we looked for a replacement, offer to stay on to oversee the fallout from COVID and get told thanks but no thanks, Richo’s got this covered?

It took two years too long, but it did happen.

Gra Gra reckons he would've got Dixon to start a huge melee in the first quarter as a momentum stopping tactic, lol old school but that thought alone makes him a better coach than old mate.
In 2004 we needed St Kilda fans to stop their own momentum for us, then the next week we went a preemptive melee before it started so they didn't get a chance to get momentum.

Worked wonders.

Wouldn't have hurt in 2007 either.

Unfortunately back in 04 Brisbane ****ed it for everyone, thanks dickhead Lynch and being responsible for double penalties in grand finals. He didn't even land one punch ffs.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Still remember the headline in the morning after that game. Something along the lines of "An 105 point improvement on last time, but still a loss."
Lol

I remember our 120 odd point turnaround vs Hawthorn 2011 - 2012, and we still lost by eight goals.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Not sure whether this has surfaced from Rucci

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would absolutely take the Letterkenny Hockey Coach over Hinkley. Today if possible.

I'd take my current coach in FIFA.

Farke.jpg

He's knows what D Farke is going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back