Pace through the middle

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep agree with this - Walker and Freddy have great pace, hopefully we can develop them to play in the middle.

Henry doesn't have the pace of these boys though
Yeah he does. Henry's got speed to burn. So has Heath Chapman. 'l'll be intrigued where he ends up playing. Meanwhile Jordan Clark is very quick. We are rumoured to be interested in trading for him.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah he does. Henry's got speed to burn. So has Heath Chapman. 'l'll be intrigued where he ends up playing. Meanwhile Jordan Clark is very quick. We are rumoured to be interested in trading for him.

Is Henry fast? I haven't seen him do anything with lightning pace on field. I may have missed something but he looks slightly above average pace and not much more on field. Did he test at combine or anywhere else? From what I have seen (without thinking too hard) Freddy, Walker, Switta, Brayshaw and Chapman are all quicker.

Maybe I have missed it but I can't remember Henry running away from anyone. Or has he got James Walker speed... won those sprints but didn't use pace to breakaway in games (obviously used it to defend players).

JBMAN

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is Henry fast? I haven't seen him do anything with lightning pace on field. I may have missed something but he looks slightly above average pace and not much more on field. Did he test at combine or anywhere else? From what I have seen (without thinking too hard) Freddy, Walker, Switta, Brayshaw and Chapman are all quicker.

Maybe I have missed it but I can't remember Henry running away from anyone. Or has he got James Walker speed... won those sprints but didn't use pace to breakaway in games (obviously used it to defend players).

Agree he doesn't appear to have breakaway speed. He has been disappointing when compared to guys like Young and Walker who haven't played as many games.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Colyer might have some of them covered too.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
this has a bit of pace too it. More on the run goals from the middle like this is what we need.

good play and excellent skill. Still looked only above average pace rather than fast. Was getting caught and started ahead of his man. Very nice play though.Shocking game overall but nice play.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
good play and excellent skill. Still looked only above average pace rather than fast. Was getting caught and started ahead of his man. Very nice play though.Shocking game overall but nice play.
I think it is footy smarts we need to see more of from Henry anyway. Pace is always useful, but Colyer hitting the ball at pace but unable to grab always made me cringe (he has improved which is pretty amazing at his age).

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clark and Freddy on the wings will lead to substantial improvements in our midfield pace. If we add the right speedy small forwards we will be set i.e. Rachele and/or Motlop. I also want to see a hard preseason from Wilson so we can have both Willo and Walker to provide run from the back.

Roy Chook

Debutant
Aug 14, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Totally agree, he is too injury prone. not holding out hope is the long term solution to our small forward issue

I think he is good in short spurts. He has shown in the final few games of the season he has a few tricks.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

Absolutely Henry is fast. Not sure what you are watching exactly. He would be in the top 4 for pace over short distances at the club.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clark and Freddy on the wings will lead to substantial improvements in our midfield pace. If we add the right speedy small forwards we will be set i.e. Rachele and/or Motlop. I also want to see a hard preseason from Wilson so we can have both Willo and Walker to provide run from the back.
I think Chapman and Walker will add pace to our defence next year. I like Chapman playing a similar role to what Young has with Young pushing to a wing or onball. Young was the one on the quickest forwards late last year. He's also quicker than people think.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think Chapman and Walker will add pace to our defence next year. I like Chapman playing a similar role to what Young has with Young pushing to a wing or onball. Young was the one on the quickest forwards late last year. He's also quicker than people think.
and Clark?

I'm a little concerned about the assumption he can and will play wing/midfield.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
and Clark?

Clark has tremendous ability to run and carry the footy.(see highlights) He has only played on a wing since 2019. That's why he has been in and out of the side. In 2021 he was fighting for a place on a wing with Smih, Higgins, Gurhie and Menegola. When he went back to VFL he dominated onball and was kicking goals too.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Absolutely Henry is fast. Not sure what you are watching exactly. He would be in the top 4 for pace over short distances at the club.

show me a clip of him showing this pace.

too four… nah. Western - colyer - Brayshaw - switta and Freddy all have him covered. I would think walker, crowden, Logue and a couple of others have him covered as well. We don’t have combine info (that I could find) for Henry so it may just be that he is unfit and therefore not able to use the pace mentioned.

Having said that, even if he is only above average pace which is what I’m saying (hope I am wrong btw as it is good for the club) if he is evasive it is just as valuable.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
and Clark?

He has stated he wants to play there and he played some good footy in the vfl on the wing. I posted his vfl status somewhere on one of the forums.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
show me a clip of him showing this pace.

too four… nah. Western - colyer - Brayshaw - switta and Freddy all have him covered. I would think walker, crowden, Logue and a couple of others have him covered as well. We don’t have combine info (that I could find) for Henry so it may just be that he is unfit and therefore not able to use the pace mentioned.

Having said that, even if he is only above average pace which is what I’m saying (hope I am wrong btw as it is good for the club) if he is evasive it is just as valuable.

In sprints he is one of the quickest in the AFL.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Chapman is more of a silky player than a fast player if my memory serves me well.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's rapid, and with his size and courage he can be a real player.
Interesting because if we get Erasmus, is there room for both in the midfield? If Chappy didn't get injured we might have had some clarity on the matter.

Back