Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would that work? Would that mean some teams would not be able to offer 1 year deals at the draft.

I think the solution would be only 2 year deals for national drafted players then teams could offer 1 year deals to players after the draft.
Simple. To get the one year deals you must take all your picks in the first 4 rounds.

What’s the benefit of the rule change though? Abolishing the rookie list to give teams less flexibility? Doesn’t make sense to me
The Category A rookie list is redundant. What benefit is it providing nowadays?

How many picks are taken in the 5th round anyway? On average over the past 5 drafts there have been 5.4 taken per draft. It's a natural cut off point.

What flexibility does it provide?

Or you could make it that every player taken in the fifth round or later automatically gets a 1 year deal.
I dislike that option as if a club is still drafting, and would put a player on a 2yr contract, the player should have that opportunity.

You could just have a break between the ND and rookie draft and continue on the same night, it would just signify when no more clubs will hand out 2 year contracts.

Oh, and scrap the PSD from in-between.

Last edited:
The Category A rookie list is redundant. What benefit is it providing nowadays?

How many picks are taken in the 5th round anyway? On average over the past 5 drafts there have been 5.4 taken per draft. It's a natural cut off point.

What flexibility does it provide?

At the moment the only benefit is 1 year deals to draft age players I thought that’s what we were discussing.

In 2020 only 8 picks were taken in the 4th round by 6 clubs. Your rule would prevent those clubs from drafting players on 1 year deals? What’s the point of this line of thinking?

At the moment the only benefit is 1 year deals to draft age players I thought that’s what we were discussing.

In 2020 only 8 picks were taken in the 4th round by 6 clubs. Your rule would prevent those clubs from drafting players on 1 year deals? What’s the point of this line of thinking?
What I'm proposing essentially cuts out the pointlessness of the Category A rookie list. The fourth round is usually reasonably well picked, last year and probably this year will be the exceptions due to COVID. The 5th round we usually get sweet FA from so a natural starting point for 1 year contracts.

Essentially, take us for example this year. We probably take 4 players in the draft. Picks 11, 48 and 53 (as they stand) get 2 year deals. Pick 84 gets 1 year. All done on the one night.

I really admire the firm decisions the club has made.
zaharakis and hooker have been cut before they are real liabilities.
johnson not up to yet- body needs a tonne of work
cahill a good honest player with no X factor.
in years past he would have been Dyson, Haynes, bullen etc and kept on the list too long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read it as being more about accelerating the development of the likes of Cox, Perkins and Reid, who he mentions, so we're not waiting until year six.

He doesn't mention Jones, Caldwell or Bryan but presumably at least the first 2 are included in that thinking.
But a not unreasonable assumption would be that given that's a focus, and given he mentioned Parish & Langford not 'jumping' until year 6, that a part of the acceleration may be giving them AFL time in their right spots.

It's hard to see how someone like Wanganeen with elite kicking doesn't improve the list. I think a stronger body in the midfield would be good too but you're more likely to find that later in the draft than an elite kick.

I disagree, I don't think we're crying out for a HBF or winger. At least not with pick 11.
I highlighted "wing type". I think we should be prioritising either a small forward or wing with #11. Classy ball users who can create goals either indirectly with their ball use or directly by kicking them.

Use a later pick to add a stronger body type, especially if we want to do what Ant555 has suggested and get someone who has a defensive mindset. Top 15 picks are more often ball hogs.

POSTED August 8, 2021

Fair to say I won’t be disappointed if we go for a hard working runner (fwd/mid OR def/mid) over that big bodied mid we all so desperately want.

The fwd/mid version should be capable in the air whilst the def/mid version should be a decent runner &/or kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y'all late to the party foj1 can see, hopefully more are cottoning on

I'll write out the current list size stuff here if it helps people.

Main list: minimum size 36, max size 38
currently at 31 on the main list.
Likely to add Kelly and probably Snelling* not announced officially
This would be 33 + 3 draft selections.

Rookie list: minimum size 4, max size 6.
currently at 5 - on the assumption that Snelling is moved.
this leaves 1 rookie spot open.

We have our 2 allotted Cat B rookies. = Full

The maximum total list size is 42. So if you have 38 on the main list, you can only have 4 rookies. (Excluding Cat Bs)

Gleeson and Clarke are currently on the rookie list without a 2022 contract. If they were delisted it would free up 2 additional spots on either list.

Do we need an outside mid?

Cox, Durham, Cutler* & Ham* have all played that role, arguably Merrett is best in the role too.

I'd want a more sturdy defensive midfielder that can release Merrett more, and with Kelly coming in as a more defensive player, that might also release Redman to come higher up the ground as well.

I think we need a Small Forward & Defensive Midfielder (Hewett would be ideal as a FA) as our two main priorities. Ideally the defensive midfielder is a guy who's a genuinely good player, which is quite doable around our first selection.
I've just posted similar in the draft thread. It feels like things are starting to point towards a forward mid or small forward, so maybe NWM, Sonsie or Rachele?

Re: Cox, he has said before that he sees himself as a KP player. We've brought in Durham, Ham lives, Langford will return and Cutler is depth for that spot given we're bringing Kelly in. Maybe we're not settled on Cox the winger. We're still building so it would be worth seeing what Jones - Wright - Cox looks like. I'd be loathe to see us pin our hopes on an expensive Ben King who may or may not leave GC.

I've just posted similar in the draft thread. It feels like things are starting to point towards a forward mid or small forward, so maybe NWM, Sonsie or Rachele?

Re: Cox, he has said before that he sees himself as a KP player. We've brought in Durham, Ham lives, Langford will return and Cutler is depth for that spot given we're bringing Kelly in. Maybe we're not settled on Cox the winger. We're still building so it would be worth seeing what Jones - Wright - Cox looks like. I'd be loathe to see us pin our hopes on an expensive Ben King who may or may not leave GC.
Cox is too skinny atm, playing him on a wing gets him playing at AFL level while he builds up his strength. I think long term he’ll be KPP though

Cox is too skinny atm, playing him on a wing gets him playing at AFL level while he builds up his strength. I think long term he’ll be KPP though
Jones was two preseasons in? Cox after another preseason isn't inconceivable. Jones seemed to have been coached to take marks coming in from the side where possible to avoid the crunch.
I agree though, 2021 Cox is too slight. I think we've got choices for the role already is all, and I've cooled on chasing King.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back