Idea - 50m penalty becomes the 50% penalty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just make it a 25m penalty and leave it at that.

Teams would invariably kick the ball away if they concede a free in their own forward fifty

In terms of the OP, an alternative approach might be to have different lengths depending on the third of the ground i.e. 75-50-25

Teams would invariably kick the ball away if they concede a free in their own forward fifty

In terms of the OP, an alternative approach might be to have different lengths depending on the third of the ground i.e. 75-50-25

The umpires have enough issues adjudicating the flimsy rules we have in place as it is without bringing in penalties of varying distances.

Don't forget, they could apply a second 25m penalty if a team just kicked the ball away like you are suggesting.

50m is just too savage for the vast majority of reasons they apply it.

The umpires have enough issues adjudicating the flimsy rules we have in place as it is without bringing in penalties of varying distances.

Don't forget, they could apply a second 25m penalty if a team just kicked the ball away like you are suggesting.

50m is just too savage for the vast majority of reasons they apply it.

Nonsense. It is a weak penalty where a team is happy to concede in their front half if it allows it to set up defensively. It is too strong a penalty for a soft infringement within 70 metres of goal

Your suggestion that they could apply a second 25m penalty is particularly strange. Wouldn't that just make it a 50???

I'm a fan of the idea but don't quite know how easily the umpires would be able to implement the rule.

That being said, I've always wondered how umpires are able to tell the exact distance of 50m for each penalty at the moment.

Players should also get sent off if the ball strikes their leg without contacting their hands when in line with the goals if the ball was going to go on to hit the post. After about twenty years we can introduce a review system for this.

My gut feel is that the majority of 50m penalties are in the back half of the field so putting everyone there basically into a scoring position would be something the AFL wants.

Maybe if you foul someone within the scoring zone you get two free kicks at goal but they are only worth 3 points if you nail them.

Players should also get sent off if the ball strikes their leg without contacting their hands when in line with the goals if the ball was going to go on to hit the post. After about twenty years we can introduce a review system for this.

My gut feel is that the majority of 50m penalties are in the back half of the field so putting everyone there basically into a scoring position would be something the AFL wants.

Maybe if you foul someone within the scoring zone you get two free kicks at goal but they are only worth 3 points if you nail them.

Strange post. Presumably an attempt at humour?

If a player get's a 50m penalty after marking the ball 40m out on the boundary line, he ends up dead in front on the goal line.

If this new penalty is applied, will the player end up 20m hard up on the boundary line or 20m directly in front?

Move 20m in a direct line to the goal, one would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back