General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah, makes me a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

I get that it was chosen during a different time, and it probably represented national strength, but it is what it is - a "bomber" plane used to kill other humans.

I understand your concern, but I feel you're reading too much into it. There are a lot of vague meanings behind a name like Bombers. Bombers, or military aircraft, aren't just used to "kill people", they are an integral part of defense. It isn't a "different time" - airborne defense is more important now than the ground-combat times of yesteryear. Like it or not, airborne defense is a factor of reality and it is here to stay for a long time.

Also, nicknames for sporting teams take on different meanings over time. For example, with Bombers, you imagine it representing a team that is relentless in it's impact.

Same with Giants - who, if were real - would not be going a day without stepping on us. There is nothing self-defense about them.

Or Demons? Are you going to look at it as literal as Bombers and consider it an ode to satanic worship?

Or, let's go international. Arsenal... known as the "Gunners" who have a cannon gun on their logo. Those aren't exactly shooting out daisies.

Some things are just not meant to be that read into, and you only see what you want to see. There are multiple sides to everything.

Last edited:

I get that it was chosen during a different time, and it probably represented national strength, but it is what it is - a "bomber" plane used to kill other humans.
i figured you were referring to the new logo and the spiky looking wheelchair.

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
i figured you were referring to the new logo and the spiky looking wheelchair.

I thought it was a hammer and sickle.

234.png

I'm so sorry

Last edited:

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I understand your concern, but I feel you're reading too much into it. There are a lot of vague meanings behind a name like Bombers. Bombers, or military aircraft, aren't just used to "kill people", they are an integral part of defense. It isn't a "different time" - airborne defense is more important now than the ground-combat times of yesteryear. Like it or not, airborne defense is a factor of reality and it is here to stay for a long time.

Also, nicknames for sporting teams take on different meanings over time. For example, with Bombers, you imagine it representing a team that is relentless in it's impact.

Same with Giants - who, if were real - would not be going a day without stepping on us. There is nothing self-defense about them.

Or Demons? Are you going to look at it as literal as Bombers and consider it an ode to satanic worship?

Or, let's go international. Arsenal... known as the "Gunners" who have a cannon gun on their logo. Those aren't exactly shooting out daisies.

Some things are just not meant to be that read into, and you only see what you want to see. There are multiple sides to everything.
I don't think the Raiders / Vikings monikers are to represent travelling groups that go from town to town picking flowers, either.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Do I have anyone with me on the whole "get rid of the war/death machine" yet?
Nope. It depends on the frame through which you view it. Australia manufactured Beaufort bombers during WW2. That wasn't because we had devastating imperial ambitions looking north, it was because we felt we'd need them to defend against Japan.
Should the Suns change theirs because skin cancer and global warming?
I get your concern, but I think you're reading too much into it. Planes are cool.

Nope. It depends on the frame through which you view it. Australia manufactured Beaufort bombers during WW2. That wasn't because we had devastating imperial ambitions looking north, it was because we felt we'd need them to defend against Japan.
Should the Suns change theirs because skin cancer and global warming?
I get your concern, but I think you're reading too much into it. Planes are cool.

Plenty of humans eaten by lions, tigers and bears too....oh my!!

Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Blues can linked with the feeling of depression, therefore, could link towards self harm or death.

We could seriously play this game with the 16 other clubs.

The glaringly obvious difference is animals and the weather are nature - they both exist, and as a product of existing they create good and bad. The sun creates life and can also cause skin cancer with too much exposure.

Bomber planes are designed for one thing - destruction. Death. Yes they were designed for winning a war and defending our country, but they have no intention other than destruction. To compare them to the sun or animals is reductive and disingenuous.

I've been banging this drum for years and sadly not many on here seem to share that view. Oh well, I hope one day this will change and people will look back and ask "why did they ever use something so blatantly inappropriate?"

Until then, go BOMBERS!!!!!

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

When the Winnipeg Jets returned to the NHL after being relocated ~15 years earlier, they introduced a new logo (below) with a fighter jet over a maple leaf and in consultation with the Royal Canadian Air Force, which attracted bits and pieces of criticism but not enough to change anything. But more discussion than I've ever seen our logo have. There's a key difference between Winnipeg and Essendon though: Jets can be any kind of aeroplane, and Winnipeg made a conscious discussion to embrace militarism when they didn't have to, whereas Bombers are... military aircraft. There's not really any two ways about it. The B O M B part of the name is pretty clear. I'm not entirely on board with the anniversary logo, but I certainly don't see any real reason to ever do a new logo that prominently displays a Bomber, particularly a contemporary Bomber plane.

1632022309339.png

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes they were designed for defending our country,* but they have no intention other than destruction.

This is as silly as saying that police cars were designed to just pit-maneuver vehicles - or that tasers were just designed to electrocute people - or that alarm systems were just designed only to create loud highly-noticeable noises that wake people up in the middle of the night.

Everything has a cause and effect. The cause is potential invasions (which will forever be a threat) - and the effect is technology capable of flight and the ability to counter-attack with the same or higher force as necessary.

These sorts of things exist, but ideally they exist not to be actually used - merely paraded as a reminder of protection. Do you see military aircraft flying around in our sky? No. Why? Because we're not being attacked. But to not have them readily available would be suicide, regardless of how many years ahead it is.

The entire reason you aren't saluting Imperial Japan right now is because of these capabilities. Remember that.

I'll also point out that you conveniently brushed aside the comments comparing it to the Gunners in the EPL, or the offense many would take from a monikor like Demons and phrases like "Give 'em Hell" - but I also recognize that you've moved on from the topic and I will do the same. Just remember not to read too much into things. :thumbsu:

I didn't respond to the Gunners thing because my thoughts on that would be obvious.

Demons aren't real things, so I have no issue with that, just as I wouldn't if someone were the Trolls.

I'm happy to stop posting in this thread until the next opportunity in a year or two.

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Demons aren't real things, so I have no issue with that, just as I wouldn't if someone were the Trolls.

There are many religious people who would take offense to it just as much as you would take offense to us not being a subordinate population, yet you only consider one to be of a higher morale ground than the other, even though both are philosophical standpoints.

But yeah, we'll move on. Go Bombers. :thumbsu:

The glaringly obvious difference is animals and the weather are nature - they both exist, and as a product of existing they create good and bad. The sun creates life and can also cause skin cancer with too much exposure.

Bomber planes are designed for one thing - destruction. Death. Yes they were designed for winning a war and defending our country, but they have no intention other than destruction. To compare them to the sun or animals is reductive and disingenuous.

I've been banging this drum for years and sadly not many on here seem to share that view. Oh well, I hope one day this will change and people will look back and ask "why did they ever use something so blatantly inappropriate?"

Until then, go BOMBERS!!!!!
I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a major issue. It's only really an informal thing which came about organically due to proximity with the airport in WWII, it's not like we went and chose it for ourselves to try and look more macho than all the mayblooms and red legs that were around at the time.

I'm not sure it even would have stuck as long as it has if we weren't forced to use it on the logo through three of our last four premierships, with that nickname now a registered trademark of the AFL;

Untitled.jpg

Beyond that though, we're Essendon on everything, we're known as the "Dons" probably at least as often, our actual physical mascot is a mosquito. It's not in the club constitution. Once it's off the logo the only thing important that includes it will be the song.

btw this is the trademark registration for the new logo:

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Back