No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The motte-and-bailey fallacy (named after the motte-and-bailey castle) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy where an arguer conflates two positions that share similarities, one modest and easy to defend (the "motte") and one much more controversial (the "bailey"). The arguer advances the controversial position, but when challenged, they insist that they are only advancing the more modest position. Upon retreating to the motte, the arguer can claim that the bailey has not been refuted (because the critic refused to attack the motte) or that the critic is unreasonable (by equating an attack on the bailey with an attack on the motte).

Leave Bailey Dale out of this!!!!

The motte-and-bailey fallacy (named after the motte-and-bailey castle) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy where an arguer conflates two positions that share similarities, one modest and easy to defend (the "motte") and one much more controversial (the "bailey"). The arguer advances the controversial position, but when challenged, they insist that they are only advancing the more modest position. Upon retreating to the motte, the arguer can claim that the bailey has not been refuted (because the critic refused to attack the motte) or that the critic is unreasonable (by equating an attack on the bailey with an attack on the motte).

I dunno about all that.

This bloke Daniel Mott was tipped to good enough to be picked between 30 and 60 in the 2019 draft. Pretty dodgy claim if you ask me. Nobody picked him.
1632021104788.png

This bloke was tipped to be good enough for top 10 in the 2018 draft. Watertight claim.
1632021172812.png

Unconventional tactic I know, but I'm all for abandoning the Motts and defending the Baileys.

🍒

I dunno about all that.

This bloke Daniel Mott was tipped to good enough to be picked between 30 and 60 in the 2019 draft. Pretty dodgy claim if you ask me. Nobody picked him.
View attachment 1239831

This bloke was tipped to be good enough for top 10 in the 2018 draft. Watertight claim.
View attachment 1239835

Unconventional tactic I know, but I'm all for abandoning the Motts and defending the Baileys.

🍒

DW, have you been holding onto that joke for three years waiting for someone to bring up the mott-and-bailey tactic? That has to be one of the most obscure references in the history of BF.

Been rewatching the 2006 Grand Final. Beau Waters had a terrific game for a young player, full of courage and thrived under pressure.

Just wonder who that young player could be for us next week. Smith, Weightman and Naughton all have those characteristics

Been rewatching the 2006 Grand Final. Beau Waters had a terrific game for a young player, full of courage and thrived under pressure.

Just wonder who that young player could be for us next week. Smith, Weightman and Naughton all have those characteristics

The scary thing is it could be all three of them!

People influenced by this great movie to call their kids Shane are mostly grandparents now. The Shane production line is probably closed.

1632025502208.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opinion: there is not enough people called “Shane” in the AFL anymore.

Discuss

Most prospective Shanes change their names prior to entering the draft knowing that they cannot possibly live up to Shane Biggs' enormous...legacy.

Its a little known FACT! that the 3 Baileys on our list were all born as Shanes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Bailey_Smith

shane1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Bailey_Horse_Williams
Shane 2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Bailey_AllAustralian_Dale
Shane3.jpg

Last edited:
People influenced by this great movie to call their kids Shane are mostly grandparents now. The Shane production line is probably closed.

View attachment 1239897
My father was named after Jackie Coogan, a child movie star in the 1920s. You know who he turned out to be? :p

DW, have you been holding onto that joke for three years waiting for someone to bring up the mott-and-bailey tactic? That has to be one of the most obscure references in the history of BF.

Dogwatch playing the long game again Scrag. I bet he's been holding onto jokes far longer than that! (I know I am!)

Dogwatch playing the long game again Scrag. I bet he's been holding onto jokes far longer than that! (I know I am!)
Hands up if you even knew what a Mott or a Bailey was?

I just thought they were people who kicked a footy around.

BF can be so enlightening. Today I've learned about philosophy, medieval nomenclature and medieval fortifications.

Huge final quarter coming up in the WAFL SF between Claremont and West Perth.

Claremont have kicked the final three goals against the wind to narrow the margin to just one goal. I'm killing time before the Brownlow by watching on 7Plus.

BF can be so enlightening. Today I've learned about philosophy, medieval nomenclature and medieval fortifications.
Well, you certainly weren't in any of my Year 8 History classes in the early 80's, were you? My students made models of motte-and-bailey castles or medieval weapons during one unit. Workable trebuchets were quite popular to use when my back was turned. The cleaners were not too happy with the mess created. - dirt, Aquadhere, sticks and wood shavings everywhere!

Sorry dogwatch, a more than passing passion with history has served me well, although until Scrag's post, I'd forgotten i knew what they were! It all came back to me in a flash though, but happy to admit I wasn't aware it had been applied to the fallacy Scrag has pointed out, so I've learnt something today too. Who needs online education when BF netizens drop facts like these on unsuspecting recipients like me!
I wonder if Chief envisioned BF as an educational tool in its formative stages?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back