Brownlow 2021 discussion

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
On cue, Port fans already crapping on about how Wines' Brownlow over Roo's in 2003 because he only won a third of a Brownlow and not outright. I don't mind Ollie, he seems like a good lad, but this is precisely why I didn't want him to win it.
They can say what they want but Ricciuto was a worthy winner just like Buckley and Goodes. Even more impressive considering the names that were around in that time.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
They can say what they want but Ricciuto was a worthy winner just like Buckley and Goodes. Even more impressive considering the names that were around in that time.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wines win feels alot like woewodins. Good player, but Boak carried the team. So many better players in the league than wines. Can't say the same about Roo who was regarded as one of the best.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Paul Seedsman unlucky not to get a few more votes

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

daniel_4tw

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m fine with Wines winning. With an easy draw, COVID restrictions, everything going right AND the best player in the league for the year, and the they still couldn’t make the GF? What hope is there for next year?

Did much better off in these stakes this year than last year

Adelaide Crows
Rory Laird — 16
Ben Keays — 11
Taylor Walker — 9
Reilly O‘Brien — 5
Paul Seedsman — 4
Lachlan Sholl — 2
Rory Sloane — 2
Brodie Smith — 2

Total — 51

Ex-Adelaide Crows Players
Jarryd Lyons — 23
Patrick Dangerfield — 6
Jake Lever — 5
Brad Crouch — 5
Ed Curnow — 4
Charlie Cameron — 1

Total — 44

Good to see Lachie Sholl already surpass David Mackay's career Brownlow tally and extend the lead further

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
On cue, Port fans already crapping on about how Wines' Brownlow over Roo's in 2003 because he only won a third of a Brownlow and not outright. I don't mind Ollie, he seems like a good lad, but this is precisely why I didn't want him to win it.
Who would waste their time with such pointless comparisons other than a supporter base obsessed with their big brother team. Port in the AFL are just a shadow of past glories as was always going to be the case.

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wines win feels alot like woewodins. Good player, but Boak carried the team. So many better players in the league than wines. Can't say the same about Roo who was regarded as one of the best.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not even close. Woewoddin's medal is a meme. Wines has had an unbelievable year.

It isnt about how he stacks up in his career it's about the year. And with these awards you need to be on the umpires radar for a few years before you win one.

And my conspiracy hat on, i reckon it's precisely because people always mistake best and fairest for "best player in the comp" that they're so careful to pick names whenever they can, to avoid another woewoddin from happening.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did much better off in these stakes this year than last year

Adelaide Crows
Rory Laird — 16
Ben Keays — 11
Taylor Walker — 9
Reilly O‘Brien — 5
Paul Seedsman — 4
Lachlan Sholl — 2
Rory Sloane — 2
Brodie Smith — 2

Total — 51

Ex-Adelaide Crows Players
Jarryd Lyons — 23
Patrick Dangerfield — 6
Jake Lever — 5
Brad Crouch — 5
Ed Curnow — 4
Charlie Cameron — 1

Total — 44

Good to see Lachie Sholl already surpass David Mackay's career Brownlow tally and extend the lead further
Sloane 2 votes, his contract is a worry

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Isn't the concentration of votes amongst midfielders just a reflection of the game itself?

Players are always getting fitter hence team defence is getting better. It's harder to dominate as a forward now both in possessions and goals.

Meanwhile midfielders remain capable of racking up numbers and having influence. Hence they stand out more relative to other positions that are now seen as more dour.

Defenders have always struggled (intercept players probably an exception) and this is fairly obvious why.

I don't think it's a case of umpires paying more attention to midfielders. Tex played some dominant games earlier in the year reminiscent of old school forwards, which saw him get 3, 3 and 2.

Defence has gotten too good for the game imo and rule changes are easily countered for in the long run.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Sloane 2 votes, his contract is a worry
Ehh, not too fussed

1) he probably would’ve gotten more votes in a more successful side
2) only two more years on his contract now, it’s not like it’s Nathan Jones/Kieran Jack levels of concern yet

Fingers crossed he completely moves out of a full-time midfield role this year, though

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ehh, not too fussed

1) he probably would’ve gotten more votes in a more successful side
2) only two more years on his contract now, it’s not like it’s Nathan Jones/Kieran Jack levels of concern yet

Fingers crossed he completely moves out of a full-time midfield role this year, though
Didn’t stop other players polling more.

He’s just come off a poor year, last year wasn’t much better. Another 2 years on big money is a concern and we hope he’s moved out of the midfield, doesn’t that say it all?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

He’s just come off a poor year, last year wasn’t much better. Another 2 years on big money is a concern and we hope he’s moved out of the midfield, doesn’t that say it all?
I don't think it's as big of a concern as you're making it.

His issues are physical related, he's had some injuries, some strange ones too. Had some good games this year, I wouldn't be looking toward the Brownlow for validation

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

I’ll agree the money is a concern (unless we front-loaded his deal, in which case we don’t have a lot to worry about)

It would be a lot more problematic if he was signed for longer than he is, though. His current deal should probably take him to retirement. In a vacuum, he was okay last year, and unless injury really hits, I doubt his form falls off a Jones-like cliff in 2022

Making the move to a HBF/HFF for this year and next seems the logical move before retirement

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think it's as big of a concern as you're making it.

His issues are physical related, he's had some injuries, some strange ones too. Had some good games this year, I wouldn't be looking toward the Brownlow for validation
I mentioned the Brownlow vote because it’s just happened but it is a reasonable indication of his year.

Yes he’s had injuries but his form wasn’t great irrespective. He’s the captain and I dare say on the highest contract, of a 5 year contract, 2 of them have been underwhelming and as he gets older, likely to get worse.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ll agree the money is a concern (unless we front-loaded his deal, in which case we don’t have a lot to worry about)

It would be a lot more problematic if he was signed for longer than he is, though. His current deal should probably take him to retirement. In a vacuum, he was okay last year, and unless injury really hits, I doubt his form falls off a Jones-like cliff in 2022

Making the move to a HBF/HFF for this year and next seems the logical move before retirement

If we were contending for finals, having a skipper who’s underperforming for two years wouldn’t be great. But in our rebuild, his experience is valuable on the field - as long, as you say, he moves out of the midfield

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If we were contending for finals, having a skipper who’s underperforming for two years wouldn’t be great. But in our rebuild, his experience is valuable on the field - as long, as you say, he moves out of the midfield
FWIW I’d be shocked if Sloane was still our captain in 2023. Provided Doedee has a good year next year, of course

That said, we’ve kind of had a history of keeping our captains until they’re out of the league (McGuinness, Roo, Goodwin)...

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
FWIW I’d be shocked if Sloane was still our captain in 2023. Provided Doedee has a good year next year, of course

That said, we’ve kind of had a history of keeping our captains until they’re out of the league (McGuinness, Roo, Goodwin)...

Actually I can see Sloane handing it over to Doedee in his last year. Seems like a Sloane thing to do

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Not even close. Woewoddin's medal is a meme. Wines has had an unbelievable year.

It isnt about how he stacks up in his career it's about the year. And with these awards you need to be on the umpires radar for a few years before you win one.

And my conspiracy hat on, i reckon it's precisely because people always mistake best and fairest for "best player in the comp" that they're so careful to pick names whenever they can, to avoid another woewoddin from happening.

To be fair, Woewodin had an amazing 2000 season when he won the medal.

The issue with him was that the Brownlow bumped up his value and he never recaptured the same form.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz

I think it's more that we have a history of giving token captaincies to players at the end of their careers.

Tony McGuinness, Simon Goodwin and now Rory Sloane.

They've felt like caretaker appointments and been uninspiring captains.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide

Simple response - how many Premierships has Ollie played in and how many AA honours and how many as AA captain?

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Meh. Roo won it jointly with Goodes and Buckley. No one playing the game right now can hold a candle to those two except Martin who played on one leg all year.

Back