Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce will reunite with Senior Coach Chris Fagan who he worked alongside as midfield coach throughout Hawthorn’s three-peat of premierships between 2013 and 2015.

He has most recently been the Senior Assistant coach at Carlton with responsibility for the forward line. In his nine years in coaching Bruce has coached across all lines as well as filling roles as development and stoppage coach. He joined the AFL coaching ranks after a successful 234 game career that included a stint as captain at Melbourne where he also won the 2008 Keith Bluey Truscott medal winner as Club Champion.

The 41-year-old has admired from afar the rapid rise of the Lions in the Fagan era and admits he didn’t take too much convincing when he answered the call from his old colleague. He will assume the role of Midfield Coach made vacant by the departure of Dale Tapping who has decided to return to Victoria. “I’m really excited about the opportunity to team up with Fages again and to work with a group that is really contending,’’ he said. “And it is an opportunity to go on an adventure with my family who are all very excited about what lies ahead. “I have a real passion for the caper and helping players get the most out of their careers and I am looking forward to getting up there and doing what I can to help this group continue to improve.’’

Lions GM of Football Danny Daly said Bruce would be a terrific addition to the football department. “Cameron has compiled a very impressive resume in his time as an assistant coach,’’ he said. “He has played under and worked with some of the sharpest footy minds in the game’s history and with his determination to constantly learn and develop his own coaching, he has built a skill set that will be a great asset to our footy Club. “He’s also highly respected within the industry for his ability to build relationships and we know he is going to be a great fit at the Lions.’’

Not particularly enthused about this acquisition.
Another Hawthorn boy, we want staff from successful apppointments obviosuly but we want them from different teams so they have different ideas. Plus he has been a senior assistant for the last 6 years at Carlton and their forward line coach. Literally all they do is blast it to McKay and if he isn't there, they suck. Plus you have to wonder if he was a senior staffer at Carlton during Carlton's s**t reign then has he got what it takes to get the best out of the players when many at Carlton havent.
WCE and another team (can't remember who) got some really good appointments, feel like we havent done our due diligence. A lot of big names have left us and we havent really brought in any big names. I guess we will see

Another Hawthorn boy, we want staff from successful apppointments obviosuly but we want them from different teams so they have different ideas. Plus he has been a senior assistant for the last 6 years at Carlton and their forward line coach. Literally all they do is blast it to McKay and if he isn't there, they suck. Plus you have to wonder if he was a senior staffer at Carlton during Carlton's sh*t reign then has he got what it takes to get the best out of the players when many at Carlton havent.
WCE and another team (can't remember who) got some really good appointments, feel like we havent done our due diligence. A lot of big names have left us and we havent really brought in any big names. I guess we will see
Fagan must think he has what it takes.

In Fagan we trust.

Another Hawthorn boy, we want staff from successful apppointments obviosuly but we want them from different teams so they have different ideas. Plus he has been a senior assistant for the last 6 years at Carlton and their forward line coach. Literally all they do is blast it to McKay and if he isn't there, they suck. Plus you have to wonder if he was a senior staffer at Carlton during Carlton's sh*t reign then has he got what it takes to get the best out of the players when many at Carlton havent.
Money still a problem for the Lions We don’t often go after the big names off field

A few paragraphs from CFC site
Arriving at the Blues following the 2017 season, Bruce initially took the reins of the backline, while overseeing training strategy and structure in his first season at the Club in 2018.

The former Hawthorn assistant coach then spent the 2019 season working with the Blues’ midfield group, before transitioning into the position of forwards coach – a role he has fulfilled for the past two seasons.

Prior to embarking on his coaching path, Bruce enjoyed a decorated career as a player that spanned 234 games from 2000–2012 at Melbourne and Hawthorn.

“We thank Cam, his wife Julia and their three children Holly, Ben and Abbey for their contribution to our football club and we wish them the very best in their endeavors up north with the Lions.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd imagine there's probably a greater difficulty in getting interstate assistant coaches to relocate in the current conditions as well which would limit the available pool too.

AFL Website has a slightly different spin on it:

BRISBANE has swooped on highly rated assistant Cameron Bruce ahead of next season, meaning every member of David Teague's coaching panel from Carlton's disappointing 2021 campaign has now departed.

Big names? Like how Fagan was a big name before we appointed him?

I'm guessing you were one of the posters saying our forwardline will never be good without a coach that had won coleman medals

Remember Bruce was Carlton's forwards coach, Carlton's "good stats" listed were:
- Scores per inside 50 (#3)
- D50 to I50 (#6)
- Forward half intercepts (#8)

Their "bad stats" had to do with their defense and midfield stoppage work.

3rd for efficiency going inside 50 (only the Dogs and us were better) is pretty good considering their forward line is McKay and not much else.

Last edited:
Big names? Like how Fagan was a big name before we appointed him?

I'm guessing you were one of the posters saying our forwardline will never be good without a coach that had won coleman medals
Whie Fagan wasn't a BIG name, he was very influential, a lot of players and Clarkson praised him for being the guy that really helped Clarkson and he had worked in pretty much every single department. I was pretty happy with grabbing him despite not knowing much about him.

Lol, pot calling kettle black there, I don't think you can speak with the way you go off on this site on players etc...

Whie Fagan wasn't a BIG name, he was very influential, a lot of players and Clarkson praised him for being the guy that really helped Clarkson and he had worked in pretty much every single department. I was pretty happy with grabbing him despite not knowing much about him.

Lol, pot calling kettle black there, I don't think you can speak with the way you go off on this site on players etc...

Bruce walked into the best coaching panel in the league as soon as he retired and then took on a massive challenge. I'm sure he's very well regarded

Plus he's replacing Tapping who was a nobody so by your idea that to be a good assistant coach you have to be well known we have an improvement

Re: 'big names' and not wanting to draw assistants from unsuccessful clubs, I think it's worth remembering that Fagan kept every single assistant coach that was here when he joined the club, despite us being garbage for the past 7 years.

The assistant coaching group who have taken us to three consecutive top 4 finishes has been almost identical to the one that took us to a series of bottom 4 finishes. So I don't think it's entirely fair to tarnish one assistant coach because of how the club they have been at has performed.

Also, in terms of hoping to find people with different ideas, it's worth noting that there aren't really that many different ideas out there. New ideas are hardly what makes a good coach - it's almost always down to the character of a person and how good a communicator they are I think.

Re: 'big names' and not wanting to draw assistants from unsuccessful clubs, I think it's worth remembering that Fagan kept every single assistant coach that was here when he joined the club, despite us being garbage for the past 7 years.

The assistant coaching group who have taken us to three consecutive top 4 finishes has been almost identical to the one that took us to a series of bottom 4 finishes. So I don't think it's entirely fair to tarnish one assistant coach because of how the club they have been at has performed.

Also, in terms of hoping to find people with different ideas, it's worth noting that there aren't really that many different ideas out there. New ideas are hardly what makes a good coach - it's almost always down to the character of a person and how good a communicator they are I think.
I'd be very surprised if he isn't a good coach. Like many people in the system these days. People credit coaches with this or that in successful clubs but the truth of the matter is that lots of coaches are doing the same things and are just as good at building relationships at clubs that aren't successful.

What you have to work with has a lot to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back