Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
I've been meaning to do this for a while. With everyone's help, I want to compile a list of players (both ATP/WTA but separate threads) who we feel are capable of winning one of the four Slams. Obviously this is very subjective, but I want to get a sense for those players who we feel could have Slam winning potential. This list excludes those who have already won Slams, and we can update it if listed players make the breakthrough or if we feel like their time has come and gone. We can constantly add names when new young guns start marking their mark on the tour.

I'll start with one perhaps slightly controversial one: Lorenzo Musetti. The guy looked unbelievable against Djokovic at the fourth round of this years French until his body crumbled. His power and confidence in his strokes really impressed me, and I thought at the time this guy is a lock to claim a French Open title down the track. Only 19 years of age so has plenty of time to strengthen his body. Anyone care to comment on this call, and then make one of their own?

Fire away!

Would it be cheating if I said Carlos Alcaraz and Sinner.
No such thing as cheating! Count me in for those two, although I feel more confident in the career of Alcaraz over Sinner. The Italian lacks a bit of flair, he’s a bit monotonous out there. Has stalled a bit this year.

Alcaraz meanwhile has come on big time, and he’s an all surface threat.

Talking about Italian tennis players.

Matteo Berrettini. He shouldn't be good enough but he has been a top top player on grass, a surface where I think some big "next-gen" players are not as suited to.

2 good weapons might be good enough if something happens to Novak in the next couple of years.

To future me re-reading this in the future, I am sorry I am so wrong on this and on Pliskova.

What do people think about Shapovalov. 2 semis so far in his career
I think yes. He looks like a natural on grass, could see him winning a Wimbledon in the next 3-4 years.

FAA has such a slick game, but the backhand is a bit of a weakness, and the mental strength is questionable. Players with genuine weaknesses are going to struggle to win a GS but it's all about timing too.

I'll update the OP soon to reflect some of these calls.

So far the following players have been mentioned in this thread:

Zverev - yes
Alcaraz - yes
Shapovalov - yes
Musetti - yes
Auger Aliassime - (the hardest one...he is very young so I'll say yes but mentally he has a long way to go)
Sinner - yes
Tsitsipas - yes
Berrettini - no

Funny no mentions of world #5 Rublev, no one thinks he's capable?

Issue is, a lot of these guys are going to be competing for French Open titles. Alcaraz, Musetti, Sinner, Tsitsipas, even Berrettini.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of players not yet mentioned, I can see Khachanov having a one off US open in the same vein as Cilic did. Admittedly he hasn't shown the level of quality Cilic did to win there, but he'll be up against a weaker field and I reckon he'll pounce once in the next decade when the big guns are cooked after the European summer.

Funny no mentions of world #5 Rublev, no one thinks he's capable?
Absolutely he is. If Novak starts to decline any time soon, all of these guys are well and truly capable. Rublev can and has beaten everyone, I can definitely see him getting a run on in a GS soon.

I can still see 2022 being ruled by Djokovic, Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Zverev, Nadal.

If they all go in fit to every Slam in 2022, I think there's your combination of 4 winners from that pool.

Future/few years from now guys like Rublev, Sinner, Auger-Aliassime, Shapovalov would all be up there.

Australia's best chance would be a mentally solved and committed Kyrgios at the AO, but that will never happen. It's funny because at 93, he'd be one of the only ones that late with the game to win a slam.

Regardless of what happens this tournament, Auger-Aliassime has definitely shown enough that he's a near certainty to get one in the next handful of years.

Has the game, just needs to keep maturing his game and his mental strength and match situation experience which comes over time.

Regardless of what happens this tournament, Auger-Aliassime has definitely shown enough that he's a near certainty to get one in the next handful of years.

Has the game, just needs to keep maturing his game and his mental strength and match situation experience which comes over time.
Needs to win that final. Hopefully, the ATP Cup victory helps him there.

But he has been super tonight. shut me up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back