BROWNLOW MEDAL Count - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Silly how it's still the most prestigious award. It shouldn't be, not anymore.

Umpires are the worst people to vote on who was best on ground.
Yeah. I'd say the most relevant would be the Coaches votes.

Problem is, if that becomes a more prestigious award, coaches would game it to try to get it for their club.

I had Wines odds on after Round 17.

The "Bont" went all quiet in the last 4 or 5 games, the Dogs lost their last 3 games and Port won their last 7.

Umpires give votes to winning teams and Wines was outstanding in those Port wins.

TBH , I thought that Wines should have won by more.

One of "The Bont's" three voters in a late round was bullshit
the bont's 3 votes sums up the umpire love for the dogs , he shouldnt have got that close. well done lyons !!!

Full Lions votes

BRISBANE LIONS

Jarryd Lyons — 23

Dayne Zorko — 14

Hugh McCluggage — 10

Lachie Neale — 8

Daniel Rich — 6

Zac Bailey — 4

Joe Daniher — 4

Lincoln McCarthy — 3

Mitch Robinson — 3

Daniel McStay — 2

Charlie Cameron — 1

Eric Hipwood — 1

Oscar McInerney — 1

TOTAL VOTES ----- 80 (6th overall)

It's always interesting how few votes players whom you think have had a good year get.

It's purely a M/F award now .

If you're not in the M/F racking up possies you can't win it.

Accepting that Goodes was a m/fder which he was, the last non m/fder to win it was Scott Wynd in 1992.

Yet a M/Fder is often the easiest person in your team to replace.

It's always interesting how few votes players whom you think have had a good year get.

It's purely a M/F award now .

If you're not in the M/F racking up possies you can't win it.

Accepting that Goodes was a m/fder which he was, the last non m/fder to win it was Scott Wynd in 1992.

Yet a M/Fder is often the easiest person in your team to replace.
There's also a trend where the M/fders are winning with a far bigger percentage of the pool votes year on year.

With outrageous vote totals amongst the top midfielders.

It really is a joke of an award to me. Transition to an MVP and remove it from the umpires. Doesn't sit right with me that umpires get to vote on the best players, not their job. Leave the voting to a panel of sports-journalists and broadcasters from around the country.

Oliver 31, Petracca 23, Gawn 16

And IMO Melbourne would be very heavily affected if any one of those three players broke down with injury. Almost more so than any other team in the comp losing one of their three best players. Maybe I don't watch enough of them, but that's my impression.

Touch wood that doesn't happen this week though, because I want them to absolutely towel up the throwdogs & win their flag.

2012 draft. Port pick 7 Ollie Wines, Brisbane pick 8 Sam Mayes. Sliding doors.............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its just so heavily influenced by who is getting a stack of the ball in front the umpire. They also dont tend to notice if you a great ball user or not as once its gone long its the next umpires issue to follow that.

So really guys like McCluggage who are low possession but great usage will tend to be undervalued by what the umpires see

Its just so heavily influenced by who is getting a stack of the ball in front the umpire. They also dont tend to notice if you a great ball user or not as once its gone long its the next umpires issue to follow that.

So really guys like McCluggage who are low possession but great usage will tend to be undervalued by what the umpires see

It's about time umpires just focused on competent umpiring instead of Brownlow votes with so many on field umpiring blunders.

The concept and voting of the Brownlow medal needs changing.
Fat chance of that happening in my lifetime but nonetheless it should

Format of citation[edit]

Charles "Chas" Brownlow, namesake of the award
Although the award is generally spoken of the "best and fairest", the award's specific criterion is "fairest and best", reflecting an emphasis on sportsmanship and fair play (which also explains the decision to have the votes cast by the umpires), as the 1924 somewhat illuminated citation expressly states:

The 3,2,1 system came to being after 1930
Things have changed drastically since 1930
Their are no king hits behind play or just plain thuggery that was around in the 60's to say 90's. Can't comment prior to early 1960
Or coaches sending players out to take out opposition players

Players now days get suspended for very minor things and we all scratch our heads from week to week on such decisions, irrespective of which club you support

It should be for the best player in the AFL irrespective of suspension. Judged by someone other than umpires with a good knowledge of the game
The big AFL industry should be able to come up with 9 knowledgeable people each round

Another current issue I could never understand.
A player can get say 1/2 weeks suspension in round 4 but umpires are allowed to award points to said player for the rest of the year although ineligible.
For me this robs other players receiving votes for those rounds that said player may poll.
Surely the umpire can have a list each week of players ineligible and not give them votes.
Not sure about the total votes allocated to non eligible players after their suspension were awarded this year

Umpires cop a lot of flack but AFL is an extremely hard game to umpire. That's what they should be concentrating on at matches
In a previous post i asked how much time do umpires allocate to award these votes
They know it is important but do they just look at stats after the game to come to some sort of agreement between the 3.

A player can get say 1/2 weeks suspension in round 4 but umpires are allowed to award points to said player for the rest of the year although ineligible.
For me this robs other players receiving votes for those rounds that said player may poll.
Surely the umpire can have a list each week of players ineligible and not give them votes.
Not sure about the total votes allocated to non eligible players after their suspension were awarded this year

I like your comments in general but just to play devil’s advocate on this for a moment.

If we’re not awarding best on ground to the best players because of suspension then we are starting to give votes to the 4th best player which could matter in the long run. I’d rather the umpires just not overthink it and award votes to the players irrespective of suspensions.

Imagine if Zac Bailey misses out on his third consecutive Brownlow in 2026 because Joel Selwood was awarded a vote he didn’t deserve in round 28 against Tasmania. Would break my heart, especially during a pandemic.

I can't see how it can be done differently.....it is what it is. I enjoy Brownlow night. Nothing is or will be perfect.

Continually complaining about rules etc and how things get done or should get done leads to some things eventually changed, and not always for the better.

Then we start complaining all over again.....nearly every year the powers that be tinker with the game as a result of complaints. I wish they wouldn't, just leave the game and awards as is imo..

I like your comments in general but just to play devil’s advocate on this for a moment.

If we’re not awarding best on ground to the best players because of suspension then we are starting to give votes to the 4th best player which could matter in the long run. I’d rather the umpires just not overthink it and award votes to the players irrespective of suspensions.

Imagine if Zac Bailey misses out on his third consecutive Brownlow in 2026 because Joel Selwood was awarded a vote he didn’t deserve in round 28 against Tasmania. Would break my heart, especially during a pandemic.
So what you are saying (maybe not being devil's advocate) is only give votes to the best on ground, not 3,2,1 being three best players.
Not sure going to a 4th would make much difference
I know you used 3rd as an example which moves back to 4th but same applies to 1st & 2nd.

Use Olympics 100 meter as example. The race favorite breaks the line and ruled ineligible to win 100 meter Olympic medal.
But rules state he can compete
He competes wins the race only for 2nd, 3rd, 4th to stand on podium. Or runs 2nd or 3rd. Either way it skews the result

Prior to 1930 they only issued 1 vote or point to one player for "Fairest & Best on ground"
They stopped this in 1931 to avoid players tied on points for the medal.
In 1930 three players were tied on a grand total of 4 points each.
As per the then rules - "under the initial rules until 1930, the umpiring panel would be called to meet and agree upon a winner among the tied players"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back