News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

OK Thom

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Haha Please,

Because I think getting worried about receiving emails from the club about publicly available information is dumb?

I’ve been on here since 2012 as gcsunsfc before quitting and then Mt isa mustang before some account problem.

Big Red Machine can vouch after we went to Richmond game at the Gabba last year.

think what you want though.

Haha Please,

Because I think getting worried about receiving emails from the club about publicly available information is dumb?

I’ve been on here since 2012 as gcsunsfc before quitting and then Mt isa mustang before some account problem.

Big Red Machine can vouch after we went to Richmond game at the Gabba last year.

We were a year too early...

Haha Please,

It was chit chat. No one was worried about the emails. Relax dude.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gold Coast are eyeing former Geelong captain and current Western Bulldogs assistant coach Steven King to provide further support for senior coach Stuart Dew.

Sources familiar with the situation confirmed the Suns had interest in luring the former All-Australian ruckman to Queensland to be part of Dew’s coaching panel in 2022.

King, 42, is currently in Western Australia preparing for the grand final with the Bulldogs, where he has been a coach for 10 years. He has served as Luke Beveridge’s senior assistant and as both defensive and midfield coach as well.
The Suns have been keen to bolster their coaching panel to help Dew, whose contract expires at the end of 2022.

Gold Coast last week unveiled former Richmond captain Wayne Campbell as their new head of football, replacing Jon Haines.

King played 240 AFL games - 193 for Geelong and 47 for St Kilda - and was named an All-Australian in 2000. He skippered the Cats before being replaced and was called into the Geelong side for the 2007 grand final, becoming an AFL premiership player in his last match for the Cats before being traded to the Saints.
King would subsequently play in a losing grand final team for St Kilda against his former side in 2009.
He has completed the prestigious level four AFL coaching program, placing him in rare company among the AFL’s band of assistant coaches.

The Suns have a coaching vacancy following the departure of midfield coach Josh Francou, who has returned to South Australia for family reasons.
King is the longest-serving member of the Dogs’ coaching staff, which also includes Ashley Hansen, Jamie Maddocks, Rohan Smith and Travis Varcoe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko wants plumb AFL gig at Suns for 2023
Dew to sleep with his eyes open
watched him talk on 360. i'm reading way between the lines but him referencing the 12 months off a heap sounds like he's being fed a line to reference he's making a decision at the end of next year. would be an absolute power play by gill if they're paying him to stay out of the game until dew's contract was up, with a pre-arranged contract. obviously that's the theory we've discussed over the last few months or so haha.

he also talked about the lure of coaching the big clubs like carlton & collingwood, will be interesting for sure. can understand wanting to take a break as well, i'm sure being a head coach is an intense role for most of the year.

watched him talk on 360. i'm reading way between the lines but him referencing the 12 months off a heap sounds like he's being fed a line to reference he's making a decision at the end of next year. would be an absolute power play by gill if they're paying him to stay out of the game until dew's contract was up, with a pre-arranged contract. obviously that's the theory we've discussed over the last few months or so haha.

he also talked about the lure of coaching the big clubs like carlton & collingwood, will be interesting for sure. can understand wanting to take a break as well, i'm sure being a head coach is an intense role for most of the year.
It definitely sounds like he will coach again at the end of next season he just wants a break next year. Your second point I thought was interesting too. Is the Suns big enough to lure him to move to Queensland with his family? I am not convinced.

It definitely sounds like he will coach again at the end of next season he just wants a break next year. Your second point I thought was interesting too. Is the Suns big enough to lure him to move to Queensland with his family? I am not convinced.
depends how much bait could be on the line by gill & the afl. in a hypothetical press conference, it could be the same has gary ablett jnr's introductory press conference, saying he wanted a challenge and to lead a new team. in reality, money talks.

depends how much bait could be on the line by gill & the afl. in a hypothetical press conference, it could be the same has gary ablett jnr's introductory press conference, saying he wanted a challenge and to lead a new team. in reality, money talks.
I would be very cautious sacking Dew for Clarko just because we have dangled money. We need a coach that has passion for the club not just doing it for money. If he is only on the GC for money, we won't get the best out of him.

I don't reckon the coaching job at the Suns would have occupied Clarko's thinking for a millisecond before it would have been dismissed even more quickly
But, I guess there's precedent with Leigh Matthews and the Bad News Bears so there's always a chance

with pies n Carlton getting new coaches this year
Bombers and dees recently. There’s not much left..

Well i thought that Dew would have slept easy after what clarko said last night. Seems Clarko really wants to get behind the AFL Tassie team. Could be their first coach.

A tassie team By 2023
Zero chance
did u hear his comments regarding it? If we had some understanding of where the afl is placed on a Tassie team then he might be happy to go along for the ride helping set it up etc then coach them in their first few years

Well i thought that Dew would have slept easy after what clarko said last night. Seems Clarko really wants to get behind the AFL Tassie team. Could be their first coach.
Don't think it really matter what Clarko says right now. Whether he's available or not, we don't make finals next year and Dew is gone regardless

A Tassie team By 2023
Zero chance
Exactly. These types of expansion decisions virtually always coincide with the signing of a new broadcasting rights deal, which is coming up in 2025. There's absolutely no way Clarkson will sit out of coaching for three years.

I'd say we're still in the box seat to land Clarko next year unless Dew coaches us to our first finals campaign. The Tassie venture may even be Clarko's back up plan if Dew makes it impossible for us to move him on. The AFL is likely talking to him about both options but I'm sure we would be the higher priority for the AFL right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back