Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 grand final half time.

That was the absolute peak for this group.

That was the chance for Danger.

But it's gone now. Now it's the five stages of grieving - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Chris Scott is at the denial/anger stage.
I actually reckon it was half-time in the 2019 PF.
One year younger, on top in the game, GWS was an easy kill the following week.

Good to see so many people heavily invested in this thread, didn’t expect to win the flag this year or last year with the oldest team ever. It’s like you have an avatar in your head about Cats fans thinking they have this world beating side better than the team they had a decade a go, it’s just not true.

Tiges were younger too, probably the Cats and Tigers should have gone 1-1 for flags in 2019/2020
I don't think Richmond were ever going to lose in those years. The hunger in 2019 would have been huge after blowing it big time the year before, a bit like how Essendon blew it in 99. Probably a bit more vulnerable in 2020 but when the whips were cracking found a way to win. A bit like 2019 the preliminary final was the true grand final. Ports inexperienced cost them in the end once Richmond were through they had it.

I don't think Richmond were ever going to lose in those years. The hunger in 2019 would have been huge after blowing it big time the year before, a bit like how Essendon blew it in 99. Probably a bit more vulnerable in 2020 but when the whips were cracking found a way to win. A bit like 2019 the preliminary final was the true grand final. Ports inexperienced cost them in the end once Richmond were through they had it.
All very fair. Just a minor fix - Richmond beat Geelong in the 2019 Prelim. 2020 was Port :thumbsu:

Yes of course I meant 2020 but Could argue 2019 Geelong vs Richmond was also the true grand final. Gws were cooked on gf day.
Sorry mate, wasn’t meaning to sound pedantic, just making sure we were on the same page.

Yeah, I was watching that GWS vs Collingwood prelim on the Saturday all smiles - they were both total cannon fodder for the GF after that match. And you’re right, I think Geelong would’ve destroyed either of them too if they’d beaten us.

Sorry mate, wasn’t s meaning to sound pedantic. Yeah, I was watching that GWS vs Collingwood prelim all smiles - they were both total cannon fodder for the GF after that match. And you’re right, I think Geelong would’ve destroyed either of them too if they’d beaten us.
Yeah all good, I'm the same with dates, having a reread I don't think I wrote the post down well.

Jeremy cameron trade was always going to bite them on the arse.

Yeah, I was watching that GWS vs Collingwood prelim on the Saturday all smiles - they were both total cannon fodder for the GF after that match. And you’re right, I think Geelong would’ve destroyed either of them too if they’d beaten us.
After DeGoey hurt himself late in Q1 in the QF, we just lost any attacking flair.

Only kicked 5 goals after quarter time in QF, and then in the wet on PF day only had 3 until 3/4 time.

We would have given a much better account of ourselves in the GF, the dry weather suited us...but with no DeGoey or Cox up forward, we would hv battled.

Little instances like that highlight why Geelong have been smart to keep staying up. After the 11GF, Pies blew up our list and hit the draft, took 5 years out of finals to get back and challenge for a few years, and now Pies again could be miles off.

Cats kept contending, still kept adding youth to their list too. They should keep going and hv a crack whilst the list is strong...they might not be the best team going anymore, but it could click in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think they will be 4-6 next season with a bigger drop off in 2023 and beyond.

If your all chips in you have to go again and they cant really start any rebuild or refresh of the list until then .
Yeah, they're locked into 2022 at least, and not sure what they can do from that point unless they bite the bullet and retire a heap.

I know he was recruited to be the second KPF, but they paid a lot for a guy who has played one good final in his career. He hasn’t demonstrated a big game mentality so far....

In the long run yes, but last year Geelong were up at half time in the grand final they weren't that far off if Cameron could get them over the line it would be worth it. Easy to say now in hindsight they look way off the pace. It probably hurts Cameron more because gws will get probably be better next year.

Geelong will still have Stewart, Hawkins Dangerfield, Cameron, who will be in the top 25 players in the comp, we ain't going to fall off the cliff next year, especially when we have the best wingmen in the league in menegola and Smith.

I hope we are aggressive in the trade period, with blicavs, Duncan, Miers and Kolo for young 22-26 year old mids and hopefully Joel retires to free up some salary space

Remove this Banner Ad

Back