TV Rights

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
My worry is if Amazon get it they'll charge a premium for a sports addition like Stan do. I have Amazon already, get Optus for free, so neither of those bother me, and I'll get Paramount+ for A-League so them getting it would probably be best (as they'd be able to do a FTA Saturday double up of A-League into EPL).

They definitely will as Prime is only $8.99 / month currently. If they have the rights I'd expect a similar setup to Stan where sports is $10 monthly.

If you know someone who is a member of an A League club they can obtain Paramount + for just $60 for 12 months. Believe it allows 3 devices too, even if you split it in 2 that's only $30 for a year of Paramount + which is incredible value.

Paramount + getting the rights would see probably the early game every week on 10 which would also be great.

My worry is if Amazon get it they'll charge a premium for a sports addition like Stan do. I have Amazon already, get Optus for free, so neither of those bother me, and I'll get Paramount+ for A-League so them getting it would probably be best (as they'd be able to do a FTA Saturday double up of A-League into EPL).

I'm the opposite, don't think they'll even charge extra, they'll see it as a way to get more people onto Prime.

FWIW I don't believe they charged any extra in the UK.

I'm the opposite, don't think they'll even charge extra, they'll see it as a way to get more people onto Prime.

They already have 24% market share in Aus, think Optus only has 10%, and you'd assume there's already a pretty decent overlap between Optus subscribers and people with Prime, so not sure it'd be worth it for them.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Would be great if Prime didn't bump the subscription price but you have to wonder how many extra subscriptions it would actually generate. At $8.99 monthly I don't see how it would be a profitable exercise for Amazon unless they get a shitload of new subscribers and go hard on advertising.

Bit different in the UK with Prime having only 2 rounds over Christmas atm where as in Australia they would be the only broadcaster for all matches.

Would be great if Prime didn't bump the subscription price but you have to wonder how many extra subscriptions it would actually generate. At $8.99 monthly I don't see how it would be a profitable exercise for Amazon unless they get a shitload of new subscribers and go hard on advertising.

Bit different in the UK with Prime having only 2 rounds over Christmas atm where as in Australia they would be the only broadcaster for all matches.

We're only talking about 80m potentially in rights, that's nothing for Amazon, even if they see only a 10% increase in subs they'll be happy.
More people signed up to prime also means they are more likely to get more revenue in sales.

Keep in mind it isn't just the PL on UK Prime, it's NFL, tennis.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We're only talking about 80m potentially in rights, that's nothing for Amazon, even if they see only a 10% increase in subs they'll be happy.
More people signed up to prime also means they are more likely to get more revenue in sales.

Keep in mind it isn't just the PL on UK Prime, it's NFL, tennis.

Maybe they just bump prime to $14.99 monthly for all subs once they get PL. Most fans would be happy paying that except for maybe those who get it included on their Optus Plan.

$8.99 monthly seems unrealistically low for PL & Amazon Prime IMO. Great for the consumer if it remained at that price point.

Maybe they just bump prime to $14.99 monthly for all subs once they get PL. Most fans would be happy paying that except for maybe those who get it included on their Optus Plan.

$8.99 monthly seems unrealistically low for PL & Amazon Prime IMO. Great for the consumer if it remained at that price point.

I wouldn't be shocked with it being the same cost or a very small increase (a few dollars), I would be surprised if it was more.

When do we find out?

My plan with Optus runs out in November and if they lose the EPL I'll go back to Telstra as Optus has too many black spots.

Before the end of the year.

When do we find out?

My plan with Optus runs out in November and if they lose the EPL I'll go back to Telstra as Optus has too many black spots.

This is why I don't understand the argument that Optus won't care about losing the rights as they've got people signed up to their telecomms, people will just leave..

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I wouldn't be shocked with it being the same cost or a very small increase (a few dollars), I would be surprised if it was more.
Yeah I’d think they wouldn’t increase the cost at all. They’d happily eat the cost to increase their overall customer base. The more people who subscribe to prime the more they shop with Amazon. They’re only getting more aggressive in the Aus market and the cost of the rights is nothing to them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they produced some local content like Optus if they did get the rights as well.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This is why I don't understand the argument that Optus won't care about losing the rights as they've got people signed up to their telecomms, people will just leave..

Optus have spent a fortune on Optus Sports. With no CL and no PL they would lose most of their subscriber base. Out of alll the bidders they have the most need to win the rights IMO.

Venkman

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Seattle Supersonics
Where does the blind auction come from? Surely it would be better if they could see each others bids, it encourages providers to overpay and then likely not renew. Changing these things is a pain in the balls, especially if there's a phone account attached and hardware like Optus/ Fetch.

Where does the blind auction come from? Surely it would be better if they could see each others bids, it encourages providers to overpay and then likely not renew. Changing these things is a pain in the balls, especially if there's a phone account attached and hardware like Optus/ Fetch.

Blind auction can also be argued can lead to higher bids as each network only has one chance to bid so might bid crazily high to try to knock the others out.

Venkman

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Seattle Supersonics
Blind auction can also be argued can lead to higher bids as each network only has one chance to bid so might bid crazily high to try to knock the others out.

That's my point, if the bids too high though then it's unlikely to be sustained long term. At least with a traditional auction then there's a sense of awareness about what the price is and business models can be set accordingly. We are potentially going to be stuck in this roundabout where an Optus lumps it in with telecommunications to get customers, then it's an amazon to get subscribers for their retail product etc. There needs to be some legislation in this area - it's the wild west at them moment.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I do think now that there's 2-3 legitimately interested parties (when previously it had basically just been Fox) does make a traditional auction potentially more lucrative.

Yeah, it was just Foxtel and Optus pretty much back when it changed over (2016 - back when NBN was far off being complete). Everyone sort of expected Foxtel to win the bid. Doubt Optus will be blindsided like Foxtel were this time round with multiple competitors.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
That's my point, if the bids too high though then it's unlikely to be sustained long term. At least with a traditional auction then there's a sense of awareness about what the price is and business models can be set accordingly. We are potentially going to be stuck in this roundabout where an Optus lumps it in with telecommunications to get customers, then it's an amazon to get subscribers for their retail product etc. There needs to be some legislation in this area - it's the wild west at them moment.

Optus gets plenty of business from $14.99 monthly standalone subscribers. They tried to make it part of mobile plans but that ended up being a huge mistake for them and they changed their tune quickly.

You can get Optus Sports without a telecomms package though and have been able to for years.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Optus has everything to lose but who out of Stan, Amazon Prime and Paramount+ have the most to gain? You'd think Paramount+ but Stan having football's two biggest competitions would be massive for them. Sure, neither are in our time zone but that's what On Demand is for.

Last edited:
Optus has everything to lose who out of Stan, Amazon Prime and Paramount+ have the most to gain? You'd think Paramount+ but Stan having football's two biggest competitions would be massive for them. Sure, neither are in our time zone but that's what On Demand is for.

Think Paramount+ has the most to gain, would have the smallest market share currently I would think.

Back