Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably done the try and tested AFL policy of broom, sweep, rug, if he doesn't suit their agenda.
It's really beyond me and all intellgebt people why the AFL doesn't want a AFL club in a heartland state

If you can’t see with all the talk that the afl is pro putting a team in Tasmania then yeah this conversation has gone beyond you

I have not heard one positive work from the AFL that indicates they want to expand the AFL,I think they are just making it look like it might happen just to make people happy.

How exactly does spending all this time and money to making it look like it "might happen" then cancelling it going to make people happy exactly?

How exactly does spending all this time and money to making it look like it "might happen" then cancelling it going to make people happy exactly?
Just making them happy for now and then when it goes to the AFL commission they will make up endless reasons why it is simply not possible. I would love to be proven wrong on this but I have see what the AFL have been like towards a Tassie team for most of my 30 years of life and it has always been negative.

* me you're a negative person. This is the closest Tas has ever been to getting a team, and it looks like its 100% happening. Smile mate.

Just making them happy for now and then when it goes to the AFL commission they will make up endless reasons why it is simply not possible. I would love to be proven wrong on this but I have see what the AFL have been like towards a Tassie team for most of my 30 years of life and it has always been negative.

Just stop for a second and realize what you're saying makes zero logical sense.

No company is going to go on a massive PR campaign about something then pull out of it, especially when their own self appointed review came back with a positive endorsement.

Just stop for a second and realize what you're saying makes zero logical sense.

No company is going to go on a massive PR campaign about something then pull out of it, especially when their own self appointed review came back with a positive endorsement.
I understand what you are saying and I just hope you are right but I think most people know how much Tasmania has be led on by the AFL when it comes to a team.

Plenty of people in Tasmania are thinking exactly like me and believe the AFL will still stop this from becoming a reality.

18 months ago, as a former Tassie boy, I would of agreed with this mindset. However this proposal has now gone way beyond the conceptual stage and even though I'm still not convinced of the related economic models, it's not a matter of 'if' a Tassie team should be part of the competition anymore, it's 'when'..!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will easily get the 7 votes required for a team but it will fall over with the AFL commission after that.

If the commission is against the team why spend all the time and money researching it, creating hype and reviewing it?

Doing all that then after getting an endorsement from their own review... to turn it down would be a PR disaster for zero gain.. it does not make any sense.

An add In the age last week is calling for private ownership of a Tassie team and I think this is the best way to go. The same story also said most experts believe a new AFL team shouldn't come in until 2028 at the earliest so I would say it is most likely to come in until 2028 until 2030,it going to be very interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Alistair Clarkson has said that Tasmania must have mostly home grown players from day one if we get a team,I personally think that will be a big ask and struggle to see it being doable.

Alistair Clarkson has said that Tasmania must have mostly home grown players from day one if we get a team, I personally think that will be a big ask and struggle to see it being doable.
That isn't what he said at all - he never used the word "mostly".
That look like to me as putting an obstacle in the way.
Did the same with the Suns and GWS?
Well I suppose you might think Clarkson is putting up an obstacle to Tassie's bid ... providing you totally disregard what he actually said -
"Alastair Clarkson says he would entertain the prospect of coaching a Tasmanian AFL club, should the league give the state its own team. ... He said a patient approach was necessary, explaining five or six years would be required to establish local talent pathways. Clarkson said it was crucial a large proportion of the playing group were Tasmanian
home-grown products.

Asked on SEN radio if he would consider being the team's inaugural coach, or playing a significant role, Clarkson replied "without a doubt. Certainly from this far out ... I'd be putting my hand up big time to get involved in such an exciting venture," he said. "I think it's a no-brainer." ...

Unlike Gold Coast or GWS, Clarkson noted Tasmania is a heartland Australian rules state. "Don't be impatient, let's just do it steadily and take five or six years to build up the grassroots, build the fabric of the club," he said. "Touch into the very fabric of the Tassie history. We don't want to be a side that just limps into the competition and gets smacked in the first two or three years or first five years of existence. We want to get in there and make a good fist of it."

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein said he would meet Clarkson next week to further discuss his involvement in Tasmania's bid for an AFL team. Mr Gutwein said Clarkson's involvement in the process added significant weight to the state's bid. "Clarko wants to throw his … very considerable weight behind a bid for an AFL licence, and we'll be catching up again next week, looking at the strategic plan," he said."

If you guys don't believe clarko isn't the mouthpiece for gill on this you are very niave. He has basically told the plan. The afl want a tassie team so got clarko behind it but they don't want it till 2027. It's so obvious it's not funny. Clarko will get this signed off next year then coach gc in 2023.

If you guys don't believe clarko isn't the mouthpiece for gill on this you are very niave. He has basically told the plan. The afl want a tassie team so got clarko behind it but they don't want it till 2027. It's so obvious it's not funny. Clarko will get this signed off next year then coach gc in 2023.
I have only ever seen the AFL be negative about Tasmania so what makes you think they suddenly support it now just because a big name coach backs it?

If you ask most people down here you will see that most people believe Gill is anti Tasmania and our only hope is if someone like Richmond CEO Brendan Gale becomes AFL ceo because he wants a Tassie team.
You seem totally out of touch with what's actually going on - and wilfully determined to stay out of touch. Gil, as reported by Caro, has long privately supported a Tasmanian team. Who do you think is orchestrating all these moves, such as recruiting Clarkson to the cause, all aimed at getting the clubs support? Open your eyes and stop being such a whiny sod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back