Society/Culture Woke. Can you tell real from parody?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

“We want to make clear that there is a place for everyone in our sport,” it said in a statement on Thursday.

“We stand by the decision to choose inclusion over exclusion. And, to invite the Queensland Suns to return to the State Titles given they have limited opportunities to play in a high performance environment due to low participation numbers and limited pathways.

“We recognise that change is sometimes uncomfortable, and we are buoyed by the support of our wider netball community who are embracing men and boys in competition formats and have done so for some time in a mixed netball capacity.”

An all boys team in a womens netball competition?! What the actual fuq!?

How the hell is this even possible?!

I can understand the 'let's be inclusive' mantra, which some would take in this topic, but this is beyond next level stupor.

There is lots of debate about trans male > female in womens sport having an advantage in this forum alone, that discussion pales into insignificance compared to this.

Wow just wow.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It is interesting that anyone really cares that they get equal prize money.

Why stop at gender? Should the prize money be based solely on the popularity of each player? A scale based on how popular the individual player is, determined by TV ratings and web site clicks and likes on the tournament's social accounts? If players A and B play in the final, player A - who is more popular by 15% - gets 15% more prize money than player B?

All valid points of discussion. In terms of prize money, it makes no sense offering less to the winner(s) than others in the same event. Not uncommon for tournaments to offer appearance fees for high profile players/teams. Manchester United don't just come and play Perth Glory on the other side of the world because they think it's a good pre-season hit out. Endorsements are targeted towards individual athletes, and there's a bigger push in recent years for disequal broadcasting revenue sharing and breakaway leagues.

There's no real reason anyone 'deserves' to be paid equally in professional sports on the basis of gender. Other than equestrian and motorsports men and women rarely compete against each other. AFL players get paid a lot more than AFLW players, but they get paid a lot more than A-League/NBL players too.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I find that a bit odd that there wasn't just a boys competition. Was in Victoria rather than Queensland, but when I was in Year 9 back in 1994 our school's boys team made it through to the State final. We had to go through regionals first and then the finals at Royal Park. So there were heaps of all boys teams getting around back then.

Are boys not playing netball as much these days, or perhaps just not in Queensland?

BTW that's ridiculous having the boys team compete against the girls at U/18 level. Could probably get away with it in younger year levels, but once the height differential in particular kicks in, with the 3ft rule in netball it's not going to be much of a competition.

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
1632518431211.png

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

You can't make this stuff up. This is a step further than equal pay for athletes not tied to generated revenue, she wants a video game company to go bankrupt.
I don't know why you've overreacted to what is quite a silly piece on feminism in video games. She's if anything happy that there's now a womens mode in NBA 2K22, that progress (in her eyes) is demonstrable, even if there's a way to go to get to parity.

The article's a bit silly really, but she's not advocating that they couple a fully voiced story mode into the game; just that one day it might be a possibility.

We all know why the AFL games are not at the level of FIFA
There's not enough money in it?
The sport's ridiculously difficult to depict?
A whole new physics engine would have to be developed to cater to an oval shaped ball?
Older games didn't make budget?
Most of the sports games are made by EA or are racing games, and EA isn't interested in a niche sport?
EA are fun murderers?

Which one?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
There's not enough money in it?
The sport's ridiculously difficult to depict?
A whole new physics engine would have to be developed to cater to an oval shaped ball?
Older games didn't make budget?
Most of the sports games are made by EA or are racing games, and EA isn't interested in a niche sport?
EA are fun murderers?

Which one?

All of the above. Personally I think soccer and basketball lend themselves to video games while footy, rugby and cricket (with the exception of Super International Cricket) do not. But each to their own. I imagine trying to make an AFL video game even with huge resources behind you would be tough let alone pitching only at a market of 25m people.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

Why stop at gender? Should the prize money be based solely on the popularity of each player? A scale based on how popular the individual player is, determined by TV ratings and web site clicks and likes on the tournament's social accounts? If players A and B play in the final, player A - who is more popular by 15% - gets 15% more prize money than player B?
This is pretty much exactly how sponsorship dollars are apportioned to different players. Increase in prize money through the tournament also has the effect of paying the more popular players (who tend to be the bigger stars) more. Edit: not that this is a particularly fair arrangement or necessarily the best way to apportion prize or sponsorship money.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

This is sort of how it works with prize fighting generally, this is why Ronda Rousey was probably the UFC's highest paid fighter pre-Conor McGregor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I watched it with my son years ago and I was a bit uncomfortable - he was a ******* psychopath.

You’re kidding yourself if you think the early stuff isn’t very, very dated.
You're missing the point, as usual. My critique is not about whether a film made 60 years ago is dated. It's about how Bond will be refashioned in future films to give more space to inclusivity and gender parity.

Remember when they rebooted Ghostbusters with an all-female cast? That was great, right? I loved it because it was more inclusive and had strong female leads.

With all that going for it, I can't believe it lost millions of dollars. Why do you think that happened?

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Michael Corleone

Senior List
Sep 30, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're missing the point, as usual. My critique is not about whether a film made 60 years ago is dated. It's about how Bond will be refashioned in future films to give more space to inclusivity and gender parity.

Remember when they rebooted Ghostbusters with an all-female cast? That was great, right? I loved it because it was more inclusive and had strong female leads.

With all that going for it, I can't believe it lost millions of dollars. Why do you think that happened?
There is a deep cynicism to it all, which Craig alluded to with his comments about why there shouldn't need to be a female Bond. Ghostbusters, Bond, etc are very old cultural vehicles that cost movie studios very little in leveraging the intellectual property. They can strip mine them, insert something that wins political plaudits, and if the venture fails, blame the audiences for not being enlightened enough.

We should really be asking why our culture has run aground so badly that 40+ year old characters and stories are getting constant retreads.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
There is a deep cynicism to it all, which Craig alluded to with his comments about why there shouldn't need to be a female Bond. Ghostbusters, Bond, etc are very old cultural vehicles that cost movie studios very little in leveraging the intellectual property. They can strip mine them, insert something that wins political plaudits, and if the venture fails, blame the audiences for not being enlightened enough.
The disastrous Ghostbusters reboot cost the studio tens of millions of dollars.

For me, the question is why they have no confidence in creating new franchises anchored by women.

Michael Corleone

Senior List
Sep 30, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's also true. I have no problem with adapting existing material. But replacing established male characters with female characters is pure novelty bullshit.
Yep. From what I understand most movies lose money. The all-women Ghostbusters did particularly poorly, but instead of it being blamed on poor quality (or lack of imagination) producers can instead blame the audience. Hollywood has completely run out of ideas, as this short clip indicates

We live in the wake of a dying culture.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep. From what I understand most movies lose money. The all-women Ghostbusters did particularly poorly, but instead of it being blamed on poor quality (or lack of imagination) producers can instead blame the audience. Hollywood has completely run out of ideas, as this short clip indicates

This is what shits me about current attitudes. Once upon a time you made a film and the audience other liked it or they didn't. Jaws was critically acclaimed and commercially successful. The sequels got progressively shitter and made less money. These days the studios would just remake Jaws and cast Quint, Hooper and Brody with stunning and brave minority actors and if it bombs it's the audience's fault for being sexist and racist.

Back