Draft Review 2014 - Redo the 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you have to remember that Petracca wasn't the player he was two years ago, It looks like the loss to West Coast (2018 PF) and the arrival of Mark Williams has really made the guy a star. The problem at the time was an aging Nick Riewoldt and the need to replace him but as hindsight has pointed out, you don't need a star key forward if you have a star studded midfield like Richmond and Melbourne. I hope the Dees win the flag and the Saints have the same success come to them soon.
Petracca was one of the best forwards in the league between 2017-19, this is a myth. If he played a full time forward now he’d arguably be the best on the comp. Flew under the radar in those years because he was overly harshly criticised.

Still no idea how Petracca didn’t go number 1.

Obviously McCartin’s injuries are unlucky but he doesn’t have the athleticism of other high draft KPF.
Richo did not like Petracca's personality or something along those lines

And St Kildas pre draft testing was one of the most absurd things I have heard in footy, it was seeing how players react with kids.

Not footy reasons

Petracca was one of the best forwards in the league between 2017-19, this is a myth. If he played a full time forward now he’d arguably be the best on the comp. Flew under the radar in those years because he was overly harshly criticised.

Not arguing that Petracca isn't a good player but that he has elevated his game in the last two years, He has slimmed down to increase his aerobic capacity and is now playing in a better position to suit his abilities. You can't tell me he was doing that two years ago.

Everybody saw the potential (except Saints draft team.) and knew that he would eventually break through to be a great midfielder.

I have to disagree, The way great midfielders are going nowadays you have to be a clearance player and be able to kick goals. Petracca is no different to Marcus Bontempelli and Jack Steele (there are more out there but they escape me at the moment.) Dustin Martin really changed the standards for midfielders.

Not arguing that Petracca isn't a good player but that he has elevated his game in the last two years, He has slimmed down to increase his aerobic capacity and is now playing in a better position to suit his abilities. You can't tell me he was doing that two years ago.

Everybody saw the potential (except Saints draft team.) and knew that he would eventually break through to be a great midfielder.

I have to disagree, The way great midfielders are going nowadays you have to be a clearance player and be able to kick goals. Petracca is no different to Marcus Bontempelli and Jack Steele (there are more out there but they escape me at the moment.) Dustin Martin really changed the standards for midfielders.

No one’s saying he hasn’t improved a lot in the last two years, but he was still a gun prior to that. That’s part of every player’s development trajectory, there was more than enough about his performances between 2017-2019 to suggest that he was capable of taking the leap to stardom sooner rather than later, especially taking into consideration the impact of his ACL injury.

Langford and Laverde now look like pretty handy selections in the back end of the first round and trading in Wright for peanuts looks a win.

Pity McKenna returned to Ireland as he would have made this draft pretty handy for the dons considering our draft hand.

Langford and Laverde now look like pretty handy selections in the back end of the first round and trading in Wright for peanuts looks a win.

Pity McKenna returned to Ireland as he would have made this draft pretty handy for the dons considering our draft hand.
i still remember being stoked we got both these kids. they were exactly who i wanted with the picks we had.
I would have loved Wright as i thought he was a good compliment option to Daniher

weird how things work out.

I do also recall saying to my Dees supporting mate this draft will get them to a premiership....his response was "wait til we get lever in"

1. Christian Petracca
2. Jack Steele
3. Harris Andrews
4. Darcy Moore
5. Touk Miller
6. Jordan De Goey
7. Jake Lever
8. Isaac Heeney
9. Kane Lambert
10. Brayden Maynard
11. Caleb Daniel
12. Adam Saad
13. Bailey Dale
14. Kyle Langford
15. Ed Langdon
16. Dougal Howard
17. Jayden Short
18. Angus Brayshaw
19. Lachie Weller
20. Dan Butler

1. Christian Petracca
2. Jack Steele
3. Harris Andrews
4. Darcy Moore
5. Touk Miller
6. Jordan De Goey
7. Jake Lever
8. Isaac Heeney
9. Kane Lambert
10. Brayden Maynard
11. Caleb Daniel
12. Adam Saad
13. Bailey Dale
14. Kyle Langford
15. Ed Langdon
16. Dougal Howard
17. Jayden Short
18. Angus Brayshaw
19. Lachie Weller
20. Dan Butler

Jack Sinclair stiff but good list I reckon

Daniel, Dale, Langdon, Howard and Andrews coming after our first selection hurts a bit on hindsight.

Two positives was that this draft came after back to back flags and Daniel Howe (who we selected at 31) finally looked like a genuine best 22 AFL standard footballer come the end of this season. I think he can still get better too.

1. Christian Petracca
2. Jack Steele
3. Harris Andrews
4. Darcy Moore
5. Touk Miller
6. Jordan De Goey
7. Jake Lever
8. Isaac Heeney
9. Kane Lambert
10. Brayden Maynard
11. Caleb Daniel
12. Adam Saad
13. Bailey Dale
14. Kyle Langford
15. Ed Langdon
16. Dougal Howard
17. Jayden Short
18. Angus Brayshaw
19. Lachie Weller
20. Dan Butler
DeGoey at 6?

That bloke is Colin Sylvia MK2. Flashy brilliance followed by long patches of mediocrity and isn't far away from legal issues all the time

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

My ra broken into tiers is:

Tier 1
1. Petracca
2. Steele

Tier 2
3. Andrews
4. Miller
5. Moore
6. Lever
7. DeGoey*
8. Heeney

Tier 3
9. Maynard
10. Dale
11. Lambert
12. Saad
13. Langdon
14. Langford
15. Short
16. Brayshaw
17. Daniel
18. Howard
19. Weller
20. Sinclair
21. Butler
22. Neal-Bullen
23. O’Brien

Tier 4
24. Finlay
25. Castagna
26. Laverde
27. Wright
28. McLean
29. Howe
30. Blakely
31. Pittonet
32. McGovern
33. Cordy
34. Melican
35. Newman

*Not taking into account off field indiscretions

The idea is not to get too hung up on the order of the players in each tier as they’re all at a similar level.

Didn’t rank Marchbank or Cockatoo who if they overcome injuries could be good players.

Guys I have as a chance to improve and jump a tier:

Petracca - Wouldn’t be surprised to see him continue to improve and be the clear best player in the comp putting him in a tier by himself.

Heeney & DeGoey - Do it all mid/forwards is the most valuable player type in the league

Maynard & Dale - Almost had them in a tier by themselves and think both could still improve.

Langford- Bit of bias here but he just improves every year and has all the physical tools to succeed.

Brayshaw - Would like to see him get a go in his natural position.

Howard - Too much size and athleticism not have potential to improve

Finlayson, Wright and Mcgovern - If they prove they can be solid KPFs they’re tier 3 at worst.

Laverde & McLean - Upside due to injury.

My ra broken into tiers is:

Tier 1
1. Petracca
2. Steele

Tier 2
3. Andrews
4. Miller
5. Moore
6. Lever
7. DeGoey*
8. Heeney

Tier 3
9. Maynard
10. Dale
11. Lambert
12. Saad
13. Langdon
14. Langford
15. Short
16. Brayshaw
17. Daniel
18. Howard
19. Weller
20. Sinclair
21. Butler
22. Neal-Bullen
23. O’Brien

Tier 4
24. Finlay
25. Castagna
26. Laverde
27. Wright
28. McLean
29. Howe
30. Blakely
31. Pittonet
32. McGovern
33. Cordy
34. Melican
35. Newman

*Not taking into account off field indiscretions

The idea is not to get too hung up on the order of the players in each tier as they’re all at a similar level.

Didn’t rank Marchbank or Cockatoo who if they overcome injuries could be good players.

Guys I have as a chance to improve and jump a tier:

Petracca - Wouldn’t be surprised to see him continue to improve and be the clear best player in the comp putting him in a tier by himself.

Heeney & DeGoey - Do it all mid/forwards is the most valuable player type in the league

Maynard & Dale - Almost had them in a tier by themselves and think both could still improve.

Langford- Bit of bias here but he just improves every year and has all the physical tools to succeed.

Brayshaw - Would like to see him get a go in his natural position.

Howard - Too much size and athleticism not have potential to improve

Finlayson, Wright and Mcgovern - If they prove they can be solid KPFs they’re tier 3 at worst.

Laverde & McLean - Upside due to injury.
Solid list but Daniel at 17 has to be a joke. Bloke is the best decision maker in the comp combined with one of the best kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

37 touches to the best decision maker in the game doesn't result in a loss like that.

Those number flatter him massively. Needed to use it for better.
Daniel was one of the only players willing to take the game on and hit difficult kicks. Sometimes that doesn't come off, but of all players to criticise, this one ain't it chief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back