Strategy The Grand Final Tactics Thread - name your best three tactics and moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The teams have been named and the stage is set. Time to channel your inner Bevo and let us know your three best tactics which will help the Dogs beat the Dees.

Here's my three:

1. Isolate Cody Weightman as the deepest forward

Cody plays like full-forward in a small man's body and has shown himself to be one of the best, if not the best natural leading player inside 50. This will also have the effect of either getting May away from goal, or creating a mis-match and testing May's fitness on some very short and sharp leads.

2. Roarke Smith to tag Langdon

Langdon covered the ground in the prelim as well as I've ever seen anyone. Admittedly there was not a Geelong winger within coo-ee of him, but we simply can't let this happen. Langdon makes the Dees look fast. Nullify his run and you make them look a whole lot slower.
If Roarke only gets 5 or 10 touches but can do a job it will be a huge win for us.

3. Libba to push forward as much as possible

Let's face it, they're going to go after him. I suggest Libba pushes forward at every opportunity, gets in dangerous spots, and makes Harmes or Viney think very carefully about their checking of him around the stoppage. We know he can kick a goal or two, so that might be the trade-off if they are looking to keep him to under 20 posessions.

Agree with Roarke Smith to Langdon

Dunkley to Oliver, try and shut him down, Oliver does go back at times gives Dunkley the opportunity to kick goals

Keep English high up the ground when forward and isolate him on Petty, will run rings around him

Would like to see Dunks, Treloar and Smith rotate through the centre a bit more in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs. Need to wear their mids down and take advantage of our mid depth. If Viney and Harmes beat us then we probably dont deserve to win.

When our half forward plays the extra man in stoppage, place them a bit more defensive to cut off the break away of Oliver and Petracca which can kill us. Can still be a run by option from there if we win the ball. This is probably on B.Smith and Treloar, they are huge factors in this game.

McDonald and Brown and total liabilities defensively, once it gets to ground switch the play and run. This is why i like Cordy playing instead of Gardener, Cordy knows to get it to a small and works within his limits. Gardner can sometimes rush a kick out and thats a big no no

IN MY COUNTRy: shoot ball straight faken. no shoot ball straight game become difficult. shoot ball straight and win game faken. THE FRANCO COZZO SCHOOL OF GREAT FOOTY. SHOOT BALL STRAIGHT WIN!!! DOMINATE MIDFIELD AND BACKLINE. EVERY TING FALL IN PLACE...

Good part is that Melbourne play a similar style to Port. Allie and Lever both play on third tall and they rely on wingman getting up and back quick for their run. So we know what tactics to use.

Main difference is that Gawn and Petracca are match winners. They are the two to keep from running forward.

The teams have been named and the stage is set. Time to channel your inner Bevo and let us know your three best tactics which will help the Dogs beat the Dees.

Here's my three:

1. Isolate Cody Weightman as the deepest forward

Cody plays like full-forward in a small man's body and has shown himself to be one of the best, if not the best natural leading player inside 50. This will also have the effect of either getting May away from goal, or creating a mis-match and testing May's fitness on some very short and sharp leads.

2. Roarke Smith to tag Langdon

Langdon covered the ground in the prelim as well as I've ever seen anyone. Admittedly there was not a Geelong winger within coo-ee of him, but we simply can't let this happen. Langdon makes the Dees look fast. Nullify his run and you make them look a whole lot slower.
If Roarke only gets 5 or 10 touches but can do a job it will be a huge win for us.

3. Libba to push forward as much as possible

Let's face it, they're going to go after him. I suggest Libba pushes forward at every opportunity, gets in dangerous spots, and makes Harmes or Viney think very carefully about their checking of him around the stoppage. We know he can kick a goal or two, so that might be the trade-off if they are looking to keep him to under 20 posessions.
Like 1 and 2 not 3
King did an analysis of the Harmes match on Liber in the first Melbourne Match and I think he is spot on. Liber got sidetracked and tried to do the circus trick when Harmes was on him by tagging the guy on Bont in the stoppage. As a result he impacted neither.Liber just needs to be Liber. If Liber is at the bottom of the pack Harmes is behind him and not effecting play. Liber's output might be reduced but Harmes becomes a non-entity in the scrimmages. On balance, I think this is an advantage to us.

1. Opening bounce, the entire team do the "dead ant" before Keath marks in the back line and it's one-nil to us shortly after
2. Libba grabs a handful of 4 n 20s (or whatever dodgy camel/horse/dingo pie they consume in the west) and hands them to the Landlords at quarter time.
3. At the start of the final quarter, Caleb starts as our ruckman

1.) I really like Wood going to TMac, can exploit him I think.

2.) Hunter head to head with Langdon, with Baz/Treloar rotating. Leaves RSmith to go with Brayshaw.

3.) Keep the extra number at the contest and rely on Stef blocking and bumping Gawn out of linking into plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Just kick the ******* thing

Don't overthink Lever's influence. He's going to win intercepts and trying too hard to play around that will do more hurt than help. I can't remember a grand final where a team won with careful precise footy. Any chance you have to take territory, take it and if they win the ball raise the pressure and win it right back. Naughton, keep going for your hangers because even if you don't grab them you bring it to ground. The faster the pace of the game the better, we play chaotic footy better than anyone.

2. Man up for Christ's sake

Melbourne's achiles heel is their forward line. Fritch is a good player and Pickett can do some freakish things but besides that it's nothing incredible. Don't feel like you have to get a double up on Ben Brown and leave a resting mid free to lead straight at the ball. Ben Brown isn't anything to panic about. Obviously keep the zone but just keep in mind it'll be the gaps that hurt more than anything so don't lose track of your man.

3. Don't just stand there ball watching, get in there you muppet

Melbourne want to keep a spare behind the ball? Fine, we're going to turn this into a midfield dominance the likes they've never seen. We always bring one up to the stoppage, make it two or three. Bont, Macrae and Libba are going to be our three main mids of course but that means you can have Smith standing free ready to hit the pack like a bull. Treloar won't have anyone around him when he's gliding across the ground. Dunkley is the guard dog ready to tear apart anyone that slips out the back. Even get Daniel up there to dance his way through. Make it a tough contested game and pile on clearances and inside 50s. Every boundary throw in or ball-up I want Melbourne players to think 's**t not another one' and by the time their even prepared to win the ball already be running away with it.

I don't think any of these are really practical, except maybe the first, but it's nice to dream.

1. Don't mix the grape and the grain. Will lead to untold suffering.
2. Move onto spirits well before the game starts. Cuts down on inconvenient toilet interludes.
3. Never forget Shane Biggs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back