• John Longmire

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats unlucky for Westcoast then. With the cattle he has, and I think Westcoast still has a strong core group of players, they should be doing better. He has them playing the softest, non contact, keepings off brand of any club in the league.

they have just been left behind tactically, they will reset and retool. the problem is the star cattle they had don't suit the way the game has moved.

This ain't a joke, the expectations will be high on the blose and he'll be under immediate pressure.

What makes it worse for them is that they didn't get the coach they wanted and their process to obtain one was what you'd call 'rushed'.

I'm not really in a position to criticize given y'know where the Pies are at, but none the less.

This ain't a joke, the expectations will be high on the blose and he'll be under immediate pressure.

What makes it worse for them is that they didn't get the coach they wanted and their process to obtain one was what you'd call 'rushed'.

I'm not really in a position to criticize given y'know where the Pies are at, but none the less.
I actually didnt post it as a joke.

If Clarko wants to coach in 2023, the Blues will be into him next year, especially if Voss has Carlton at the same level as in previous years.

Why didn't Carlton have a 12 month caretaker coach, a guy who's happy to move aside after 12 months, they have gone Voss, they are going to have to give him a minimum 3 years, they could have appointed a Leigh Tudor or John Blakey type and said they're happy to coach for 12 months and used the next 12 months to really lure clarko.

Dew needs to play finals next year, Cameron was coach of the year this year, with the injuries they had to make finals was massive.

I think ken will step aside next year, regardless of results, and move into a footy director role at port or another club.

I think Simpson is in big trouble, the list looks old and west coast won't take to missing finals 2 years in a row.

I'm surprised that no club this year went for the Fagan/ noble coach, a guy thats super experienced, managed footy departments and knows the industry completely. Both those guys have turned their teams around super quick, if north get ccj and Cunnington plays 16+ games they could sneak finals next year.

I'd take mark Neeld at this point. Sometimes a coach just stays too long and it gets to a point where you know they can't go any further.

Ken literally has at his disposal
- current Brownlow medallist
- last year's Brownlow runner up
- former AFL MVP
- last year's AA CHF
- an AA intercepting defender
- top 2 wingman in the league
- butters, duursma and rozee
- premiership ruckman

And yet the absolute failure gets blown off the park by 70 points. Time and time ago it's a hallmark of this coach that in big games we get destroyed in the first 10 minutes of the game. Years of watching us dominate general play and yet be unable to score .

He needs to go, the players need a new voice. We might drop down, but we need a reset. We aren't winning sh*t with this clod in charge

I could say the same for Nathan, we literally had a dynasty team in waiting, the 2nd highest % in the history of the comp with a 20-2 record with the 2nd youngest flag team of all time says so, and we hand the keys to someone who's never been a senior coach before. Like giving an F1 car to a L plater.

I guess my point is that yes you have a flag team in the waiting, but I think it goes deeper than just Ken as the problem. Recent history shows that keeping your coach and giving him the right support around him can prove fruitful. If I were the club I'd be looking at that first rather than (maybe) throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

If Clarko wants to coach in 2023, the Blues will be into him next year, especially if Voss has Carlton at the same level as in previous years.

I agree, the blose have the potential list to play finals - even contend. If they don't make finals I see a rinse and repeat situation.

Ken did completely turn the club around remember when he got there, so he's got some credits, he also was brave enough to ship out Wingard and bring in rozee, butters and duursma.

I think you have problems in your midfield, it's too one paced, sometimes you play against a team where everything they touch turns to gold, and thats what happened to the dogs. At least port kept trying in the 3rd QTR, unlike Geelong, if the goal wasn't reversed and duursmas mark was paid, you could have been 5 goals down at 3qtr time and it would have been game on. Grand finals are incredibly hard to win, you need a bit of luck, port haven't the last 2 years

I'd take mark Neeld at this point. Sometimes a coach just stays too long and it gets to a point where you know they can't go any further.

Ken literally has at his disposal
- current Brownlow medallist
- last year's Brownlow runner up
- former AFL MVP
- last year's AA CHF
- an AA intercepting defender
- top 2 wingman in the league
- butters, duursma and rozee
- premiership ruckman

And yet the absolute failure gets blown off the park by 70 points. Time and time ago it's a hallmark of this coach that in big games we get destroyed in the first 10 minutes of the game. Years of watching us dominate general play and yet be unable to score .

He needs to go, the players need a new voice. We might drop down, but we need a reset. We aren't winning sh*t with this clod in charge

I could say the same for Nathan, we literally had a dynasty team in waiting, the 2nd highest % in the history of the comp with a 20-2 record with the 2nd youngest flag team of all time says so, and we hand the keys to someone who's never been a senior coach before. Like giving an F1 car to a L plater.

I guess my point is that yes you have a flag team in the waiting, but I think it goes deeper than just Ken as the problem. Recent history shows that keeping your coach and giving him the right support around him can prove fruitful. If I were the club I'd be looking at that first rather than (maybe) throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Mate he's been there 9 years. The assistant coaches have been turned over multiple times. He's had Phil Walsh, Richo, Voss, Schofield, Bassett, Nicks, Carr, Lade in there with him.

The entire list has basically been turned over. Only Boak and Gray left now from before he arrived. He's had every opportunity in the world and the best he can do is 3 prelim finals in 9 years for 3 losses.

He sucks.

Ken did completely turn the club around remember when he got there, so he's got some credits, he also was brave enough to ship out Wingard and bring in rozee, butters and duursma.

I think you have problems in your midfield, it's too one paced, sometimes you play against a team where everything they touch turns to gold, and thats what happened to the dogs. At least port kept trying in the 3rd QTR, unlike Geelong, if the goal wasn't reversed and duursmas mark was paid, you could have been 5 goals down at 3qtr time and it would have been game on. Grand finals are incredibly hard to win, you need a bit of luck, port haven't the last 2 years

Yep, he did have credits in the bank for 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately that was a long time ago. He'd burned up those credits by 2017. We've had pretty strong drafting and trades since then but ken has pissed it up the wall. With Boak and Gray now near the end the opportunity may be passed unless we can somehow pull another A grade mid out of somewhere (like maybe an injury free butters getting going)

Should be leon cameron. how is he still a coach

I don't think anyone will be sacked mid-season, because the potential of getting Clarkson at the end of the year. Maybe Chris Scott as well, as his contract expires and he might want to move on.

If Dew has another bad year, I doubt he survives unfortunately. Which sucks because I don't think it is even his fault. If Eagles bomb out, maybe Simpson as well? although that is unlikely, it takes a lot for West Coast to sack a coach typically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer ken to Chris Scott, maybe we could trade coaches. Geelong was pretty well 8 goals in front of Melbourne in the last round of the season and instead of sending a message to the rest of the league and hammering the Dee's by 80 points, Scott decides to rest players, play defensive keeping off footy and it allowed the Dee's in, we lost and blew our premiership chances away, and I hear that Geelong management think that he's so good we'll extend his contract

Yep, he did have credits in the bank for 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately that was a long time ago. He'd burned up those credits by 2017. We've had pretty strong drafting and trades since then but ken has pissed it up the wall. With Boak and Gray now near the end the opportunity may be passed unless we can somehow pull another A grade mid out of somewhere (like maybe an injury free butters getting going)

Mate he's been there 9 years. The assistant coaches have been turned over multiple times. He's had Phil Walsh, Richo, Voss, Schofield, Bassett, Nicks, Carr, Lade in there with him.

The entire list has basically been turned over. Only Boak and Gray left now from before he arrived. He's had every opportunity in the world and the best he can do is 3 prelim finals in 9 years for 3 losses.

He sucks.

As a Pie fan, I know the situation, maybe you're right.

He is not an easy replacement though, but I agree the list is flag ready.

Scott doesn't get an extension beyond next year IMO - especially if we fall in a heap come the end of the year (again).

I'd prefer ken to Chris Scott, maybe we could trade coaches. Geelong was pretty well 8 goals in front of Melbourne in the last round of the season and instead of sending a message to the rest of the league and hammering the Dee's by 80 points, Scott decides to rest players, play defensive keeping off footy and it allowed the Dee's in, we lost and blew our premiership chances away, and I hear that Geelong management think that he's so good we'll extend his contract

i would do that swap.

Yep I'm pretty sure Voss is going to be Carlton's Mark Neeld. He'll be a disaster, but ultimately it will force a (proper) review of the administration, major changes will happen and they'll get Clarko to come in (same as when Melbourne landed Roos) to change teh culture from top to bottom.

It will be good for them in the long run.

Yeah but Geelong had a ten minute spurt in round 23 against Melbourne that was really weird - pretty sure the second quarter of that match was the only quarter you outscored us from 12 attempts in 2021. The Dees finish strong against everyone, so you're right he SHOULD have realised it wasn't game over.

I wouldn't be reading TOO much into getting belted by Melbourne in a prelim, we beat you three times this season.

You had multiple players who were playing ill (now whether they should have been out there or not, is a question for the coach imo) and had trouble with Melbourne this year already. I think Scott is good at what he does (i.e. he gets good results from Geelong every year) but Geelong's list actually aren't talented enough to be a genuine contender when they face the absolute best teams. Needs a list refresh more than a new coach, but again, that might not be something Scott can deliver.

First game of the year we played you, we had a few out and were playing like a bottom 8 side, second time, the second QTR showed what we could do.

You guys were far too good in the final, but we lost Parfitt, yet don't bring in a midfielder, we had unbalanced side, we got smashed in the centre, you have a brilliant midfield as was found out, but we still have a few too liners and should be top 8 next year.

Yeah but Geelong had a ten minute spurt in round 23 against Melbourne that was really weird - pretty sure the second quarter of that match was the only quarter you outscored us from 12 attempts in 2021. The Dees finish strong against everyone, so you're right he SHOULD have realised it wasn't game over.

I wouldn't be reading TOO much into getting belted by Melbourne in a prelim, we beat you three times this season.

You had multiple players who were playing ill (now whether they should have been out there or not, is a question for the coach imo) and had trouble with Melbourne this year already. I think Scott is good at what he does (i.e. he gets good results from Geelong every year) but Geelong's list actually aren't talented enough to be a genuine contender when they face the absolute best teams. Needs a list refresh more than a new coach, but again, that might not be something Scott can deliver.

Back