Competitions The Pieman 2021 - with a difference!

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of handicaps, this is my team for the grand final. I'm going for big game players.

Bont
Libba
BSmith
Weightman
Naughton
Treloar, Weightman, Hannan, English and Schache pls.
Treloar x3
Dunkley x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weightman
Naughty
Bont
B Smith
Treloar

Edit: haha I actually typed Naughton and autocorrect changed it to Naughty. It’s a sign!
English
Macrae
Hannan
Schache
Libba

Please
RandomDog goes for:

Schache, JJ, Hunter, Duryea, Macrae
Macrae x3
Roarke x2
Bailey S x2
Bailey D x 2
Bailey W

thanks DW
Haha ... the full Triple Baileys!

dogwatch's picks

Libba, JJ, Bont, Dunkley, English
Team selection received by PM from ossie_21
Baz x2, Hannan x2 and Flea.
Naughton, Bont, Hannan, B Smith and Treloar
Done.

1632539650396.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pieman Player of 2021

Firstly let's look at who was our Pieman Player of the Year, and we'll start with the formalities of the Pieman Player of the Grand Final. Three goals from Adz was easily enough for the Grand Final honours. It was a very short list of goalkickers unfortunately.

The highest possible score was 283 if you were desperate enough to pick 3x Treloar and 2x Roarke. A plausible 3x Treloar and a 2x Bont would also have returned a handy score of 273.

1632841055733.png

The Pieman Player of the Year - JOSH BRUCE

Broadly speaking, if I'm getting the handicaps about right the Pieman Player of the Year should end up being a fairly close contest. Ideally one would like to see a good spread of even scores over the season and no more than around 100 points separating the top ten. It has indeed ended up a close contest despite Josh Bruce skipping out to a huge early lead due to his 10-goal haul against North. His ruptured ACL brought him back to the field but he managed to cling on by just 5 points over Barnstorming Bailey.

There were six players within a range of 40 points and the top ten were in a range of 134. In fact the top 15 were in a range of 160 points.
So I'm pretty happy with that. The implication is that there aren't any "no brainer" picks every week and the possibilities for getting a large score are many and varied.

1632841691116.png

We scored 339 goals over the 26 matches and they were shared among 32 of the 41 players who played seniors this year.

And the Pieman winner for 2021 is ...

Wocka !! 1632842644011.png

Down by 84 points and in third place coming into the Grand Final Wocka played a desperate hand and needed things to go his way but that's exactly what happened. His privately lodged team was 3 x Treloar and 2 x Bailey Smith. Adz had only kicked multiples twice this season but he delievered with three grand final goals and 207 points for Wocka and also his Kelvin co-winner LordC .

Even then Wocka was no certainty because ossie_21 could have held on with just 124 points. It wasn't to be. His only goalscorer was Naughton, netting him a mere 9 points. Early season leader Boyd oh Boyd finished strongly for third place just ahead of the 2019 winner Snarls Barkley and then in fifth spot Floridog who was coming second until the grand final - he missed out completely for only his second donut of the season.

I have to say ossie_21 has been very consistent. He was 8th in 2019, 3rd in 2020 (just behind Wocka) and was beaten at the post in 2021. Maybe next year, mate!

So congratulations to the top three:

2273 - WOCKA
2159 - OSSIE_21
2089 - BOYD OH BOYD

Here's the final board:

1632845255833.png

The Grand Final Kelvin

With the declaration of our Pieman winner for 2021 the Kelvin is a bit of an anti-climax but here's what happened. For the first time all season we had a tie with LordC and Wocka both taking out a triple on Adam Treloar and getting 207 points. They were way out in front of ScottyDogg (138) who also went in heavily on Treloar. In fact 10 of the top 11 had Treloar in their team somewhere. There were no bonus points awarded for five separate goal scorers this week.

1632845790911.png

Here is a table of the most Kelvins won this year. It's headed by last year's Pieman Charlie Bucket . Nineteen on the list.

1632846237824.png

So that's it for 2021. I'll be back to post a few random stats over the next day or so.

Thanks everyone for participating. I hope you liked this year's different format, where you got to pick your players each week (or let them roll over from last week if you couldn't be bothered) rather than have to pick players before the season starts. I think it's a winner. The fact that it was possible for Wocka to take nearly 200 points off the leader in the final game shows that it can sustain competitive interest throughout the season. I hope to see you all in it again next year.

As always I'm happy to consider feedback and ideas for improvement but at this stage I'm not inclined to change much for 2022.

So that's it for 2021. I'll be back to post a few random stats over the next day or so.

Thanks everyone for participating. I hope you liked this year's different format, where you got to pick your players each week (or let them roll over from last week if you couldn't be bothered) rather than have to pick players before the season starts. I think it's a winner. The fact that it was possible for Wocka to take nearly 200 points off the leader in the final game shows that it can sustain competitive interest throughout the season. I hope to see you all in it again next year.

As always I'm happy to consider feedback and ideas for improvement but at this stage I'm not inclined to change much for 2022.
Thanks dogwatch for another extremely well run competition and love the new format.

Here's a different look at how your Pieman team went over the season.
  • First table is the top 10 after 13 games (up to Rd 14 due to the bye).
  • The second table is the top 10 over the second half of the season including finals (Rd 15 to the GF)
  • The third table is the top 10 over the four finals games.
The yellow highlighting in the second and third tables indicates those who were also in the top 10 in the first half of the season. As you can see only Wocka features in all three tables. Reward for consistency!

Also don't get too hung up on those in the first table scoring higher than those in the second table. That was true of most teams. Only nine teams scored more in the back half (headed most strongly by DogBites who went from 627 to 1031). The reason for so many more points being scored in the first half of the season is simply that we kicked higher scores then. We kicked 182 goals in the first half and 157 in the second half.

1632896115294.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back