Coach Fages and the coaching group

Anyone catch Cam Bruce’s interview on SEN today?

Interview with Cameron Bruce on SEN today, starts around the 1:40:05 mark for anyone wanting to listen it in its entirety.

Scubaveg

Dec 6, 2009
Carina
Didn’t Mitch Hahn leave as well? News on replacement?

Interview with Cameron Bruce on SEN today, starts around the 1:40:05 mark for anyone wanting to listen it in its entirety.

Just listened to this now.

Most of the conversation was about Melbourne and Carlton 😂

Interesting you say that, because we do need to do something with our defensive running and gameplan. From what l have read about our gameplan, it seems to be one that covers up our weaknesses which is defensive transition. How do we get our players to run harder both ways, is it them being lazy or them being unfit? Maybe both

Think it is a very simplistic break down. The issue isn't the players being unfit or lazy, it is structural. If we require them to run to defensively they would do that. Our game plan needs adjusting, then the players need to get use to it. We've had a full year now with the new man on the mark rules, I would expect all teams will be tinkering.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
I see Tapping signed on at Dons...but as forward coach. Interesting how assistants chop n change rolls from season to season.

I wonder what Hodgey’s plans are after putting the house in Melbourne up for sale. Planning to stay in Brissie longer term.
Gonna stick with the Media and part time coaching gig or become a full time assistant?
Would prefer the latter especially if it’s with the Lions.

I wonder what Hodgey’s plans are after putting the house in Melbourne up for sale. Planning to stay in Brissie longer term.
Gonna stick with the Media and part time coaching gig or become a full time assistant?

That'll be awesome for us. Get Hodgey in as the senior assistant.

Hope we get him early or he might even join Clarko if Suns get him for 2023.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
That'll be awesome for us. Get Hodgey in as the senior assistant.

Hope we get him early or he might even join Clarko if Suns get him for 2023.
Or Fages, Clarko and Hodgey all coaching the Tassie Tigers with Robbo as the Past Players coordinator.

Nov 26, 2018
Personally i can't see Hodgy coming in as an assistant. I would go as far as to say zero chance of that happening
He trialed the coaching thing with Fagan and decided to move into media
He has given all his adult time to AFL as a player and now i think it will be his family coming first
I imagine his media $ pays way better and the hours would be nowhere near that required as a full time assistant AFL coach
He looks happy and relaxed in his media role.
Also he is one of the few who actually gives good incite into the game unfolding

Personally i can't see Hodgy coming in as an assistant. I would go as far as to say zero chance of that happening
He has given all his adult time to AFL as a player and now i think it will be his family coming first
I imagine his media $ pays way better and the hours would be nowhere near that required as a full time assistant AFL coach
Also he is one of the few who actually gives good incite into the game unfolding

On the flip side, deciding to stay in Brisbane full time means a lot more travel and longer hours spent on the road for media commitments. If media was his focus, Melbourne is where he needs to be.

I think he's keeping the door open to both and is enjoying the opportunity to do both while he's young.

He has completed the level 1 Coaching course so you would think he still harbours some aspirations for Coaching at some point.

Nov 26, 2018
On the flip side, deciding to stay in Brisbane full time means a lot more travel and longer hours spent on the road for media commitments. If media was his focus, Melbourne is where he needs to be.

I think he's keeping the door open to both and is enjoying the opportunity to do both while he's young.
Yes he will have a travel issue for 6 months of the year as against 11 months as an assistant coach
Also his media i believe is only weekends v 6/7 days per week as an assistant coach

What i don't know is if he has a footy TV show he appears in during the season. If so that would take up more time
Who knows he might be hoping for a Wally Lewis type gig with 7 Brisbane
Would easily do a better job than Wally but Luke does not have a statue at Suncorp Stadium

Jan 13, 2016
Leigh Matthews has continued to live in Brisvegas and have a media career. Good place for the kids to grow up and spend some time in the Lions Academy ;)

Hawker55

Mar 17, 2011
Everton, Denver Broncos
Sorry to butt in, but I heard Greg Swann interviewed about Hodgey. Basically said he's part time now and there's a standing offer for a full time role, but he promised his wife that he'd spend time with the kids once he retired. Doesn't mean he's never going to do it but probably not right away. Good luck next year - always had a soft spot for you guys since Lethal went up there, and even more so with Fages/Hodgey/Birch there.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Sorry to butt in, but I heard Greg Swann interviewed about Hodgey. Basically said he's part time now and there's a standing offer for a full time role, but he promised his wife that he'd spend time with the kids once he retired. Doesn't mean he's never going to do it but probably not right away. Good luck next year - always had a soft spot for you guys since Lethal went up there, and even more so with Fages/Hodgey/Birch there.

Will the soft spot remain if his kids join our academy? ;)

May 3, 2005
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
They can reap all the benefits of the academy and then nominate Hawthorn as a F/S.

Or reap all the benefits of Hawthorn trying to woo them, then stick with the Lions.