The grand final has completely validated 6-6-6

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s funny, when it was brought in after 2018 everyone said it would favour sides like us, and then we struggled with it in 2019. Today has been almost the quintessential 6-6-6 performance. A lot like a game in 2018 before it came in where we flogged the dogs.

What a load of nonsense. If you can't validate 6-6-6 based on several seasons of games, then you can't just go "well it worked in this one game"
It has failed to achieve the results it was put in to achieve which was to increase scoring.
Yeah it worked for one game, but so what - in general it hasn't achieved its core aim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of nonsense. If you can't validate 6-6-6 based on several seasons of games, then you can't just go "well it worked in this one game"
It has failed to achieve the results it was put in to achieve which was to increase scoring.
Yeah it worked for one game, but so what - in general it hasn't achieved its core aim.
Wrong.

Scores from center bounces/clearances I believe immediately went up when the rule was introduced.

No. Quick clearances out of the middle shouldn’t override overall gameplay around the field. Melbourne would have won regardless without it, but it disables defensive counter tactics.

Watched a replay of 2002 today and our final goal that iced the game was kicked with 5 minutes to go after a huge slog. That shouldn’t potentially be wiped away with 5 possessions and little counter play.

Game is way too momentum based. So hard to stop a team that’s on a roll.

Tonight’s game was basically three different games - Dees on top, then Dogs, then Dees. It wasn’t really an arm wrestle, more just all out attack from whoever won clearances

Hate it, what next - off side?

This is Australian Rules Football, a 360 degree game with very few restrictions on player movement. 6-6-6 is an abomination and should go along with the statue on the mark and the absurd way players stand 15 metres away on the mark when a kick out is taken after a behind.

In any case, as someone above mentioned - the AFL wanted this rule so they could have increased scores. Scores have decreased, so it failed on their own criteria.

If I wanted to watch basketball . . . I'd watch basketball.

DS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back