Autopsy 2021 Grand Final - Dees are Premiers

Who will win the AFL Grand Final?

• Western Bulldogs

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Man the Dees really ran away with it, I had them cooked 10 mins into the 3rd... They just clicked.
Still think getting rid of BBB is probably the first misstep that Brady has taken (I don't think we should've bowed to his manager but even though we gained Stevo from it we let him go for way unders). Is a genuinely nice bloke despite what a few say about him and his wife on here, so very happy to see him win a flag.

EDIT: nice to see Maj too
Keeping Brown would’ve been a mistake , he wouldn’t have got near it most of the year with our ball delivery & even if we managed to jag a couple of games because we kept him ? What good does that do us ? We may have even missed out on JHF … let’s face it we are in a rebuild & a bit off from contending at this point . Larkey benefited from being the number 1 forward in learning positioning , bodywork and work rate . Lest we forget he wanted 5yrs @ 800k . No thanks

…so did BT after Bonts goal

Go back and listen to the replay…he was going to win the Norm, be a Premiership Capt and be greater than EJ.

As they say in the classics

Nekminit

Yep, I was pissed off when the commentators started calling it when they did. It just shows how much of a media darling he really is, stuffed if know why?

This might be a really poor take regarding the Dogs, but I don't think Caleb Daniel makes them better at all, and is actually quite detrimental.

I know he got alot of the pill, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's been good.

I find the Dogs seem to slow up when they actively look for him to exclusively take the ball out of defence. They look so much faster and deadlier when they just go best available option out of defence and bypassing looking for Caleb.

I know he's a great user of the footy, but so is most of the Dogs team...

Am I being a bit silly or do other people find this as well?

Not silly, but a bit harsh.

He's a good player, but not great because of the reasons you mentioned. I think he's the sort of player who gets dragged along by his team rather than the other way around. That is, in good team he's good, in an average team he's average, and in our team he'd really struggle.

If we're singling out Dogs tonight, I'd target Weightman. Yes, a kid, but if you're going to play the cocky little $hit, then you have to back it up when it matters. In the second half he was largely at the wrong end of the ground. But he'd be really disappointed that he had absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever, and in the rare instance that he got the pill, coughed it up badly.

…so did BT after Bonts goal

Go back and listen to the replay…he was going to win the Norm, be a Premiership Capt and be greater than EJ.

As they say in the classics

Nekminit

Yep, I was pissed off when the commentators started calling it when they did. It just shows how much of a media darling he really is, stuffed if know why?

This might be a really poor take regarding the Dogs, but I don't think Caleb Daniel makes them better at all, and is actually quite detrimental.

I know he got alot of the pill, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's been good.

I find the Dogs seem to slow up when they actively look for him to exclusively take the ball out of defence. They look so much faster and deadlier when they just go best available option out of defence and bypassing looking for Caleb.

I agree. He is a seagull. He had 36 disposals but only two score involvements.

To those that experienced 99’ what does it feel like? It’s only something I can dream of.

I'll be honest. 1999 gave me a smug satisfaction rather than euphoria. For me, I was so confident we'd win that it took a bit away from it all. I remember that at the end of the Carlton/Essendon Prelim I was driving down Beach Rd with my new girlfriend (now Mrs Marstermind) and when the Blues won I did the fist pumps and told her we just won the flag. For me, it was such a formality that deep, deep down I wish we'd have won by more. Also, I also felt that it evened to score from '98 - a side as good as ours should have 2 flags. Don't get me wrong, I loved it - just not as much as 1996 which I still watch and get emotional during the last quarter. Never been happier. Had we beaten Essendon in '99 though.....well, we'll never know.

To those that experienced 99’ what does it feel like? It’s only something I can dream of.

1996 was better.
I was 9 in 1977 and 28 in 1996
Go figure out what it was like as a 28 year old after all those years

What’s worse…I was 31 in 1999 and now I am 53.

I'll be honest. 1999 gave me a smug satisfaction rather than euphoria. For me, I was so confident we'd win that it took a bit away from it all. I remember that at the end of the Carlton/Essendon Prelim I was driving down Beach Rd with my new girlfriend (now Mrs Marstermind) and when the Blues won I did the fist pumps and told her we just won the flag. For me, it was such a formality that deep, deep down I wish we'd have won by more. Also, I also felt that it evened to score from '98 - I side as good as ours should have 2 flags. Don't get me wrong, I loved it - just not as much as 1996 which I still watch and get emotional during the last quarter. Never been happier. Had we beaten Essendon in '99 though.....well, we'll never know.
Great answer👏🏻

I'll be honest. 1999 gave me a smug satisfaction rather than euphoria. For me, I was so confident we'd win that it took a bit away from it all. I remember that at the end of the Carlton/Essendon Prelim I was driving down Beach Rd with my new girlfriend (now Mrs Marstermind) and when the Blues won I did the fist pumps and told her we just won the flag. For me, it was such a formality that deep, deep down I wish we'd have won by more. Also, I also felt that it evened to score from '98 - I side as good as ours should have 2 flags. Don't get me wrong, I loved it - just not as much as 1996 which I still watch and get emotional during the last quarter. Never been happier. Had we beaten Essendon in '99 though.....well, we'll never know.

This is exactly what happened to me (except driving past Craigieburn with now Mrs Gaso) and all the rest the same feelings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1996 was better.
I was 9 in 1977 and 28 in 1996
Go figure out what it was like as a 28 year old after all those years

What’s worse…I was 31 in 1999 and now I am 53.
Definitely, Aunty always tells me how good the year was, especially taunting the oppo fans at every game. I can’t really feel the connection with any past ones as I need to feel them in person if that makes sense.

Plz u are not old gaso

I'll be honest. 1999 gave me a smug satisfaction rather than euphoria. For me, I was so confident we'd win that it took a bit away from it all. I remember that at the end of the Carlton/Essendon Prelim I was driving down Beach Rd with my new girlfriend (now Mrs Marstermind) and when the Blues won I did the fist pumps and told her we just won the flag. For me, it was such a formality that deep, deep down I wish we'd have won by more. Also, I also felt that it evened to score from '98 - a side as good as ours should have 2 flags. Don't get me wrong, I loved it - just not as much as 1996 which I still watch and get emotional during the last quarter. Never been happier. Had we beaten Essendon in '99 though.....well, we'll never know.
Nobody was beating us in 99 .

I was watching it with the 1st Mrs LtK and that night we heard all the Carlton celebrations as we lived in Royal Pde, literally opposite Optus Oval. Was also very confident of flag no. 4 at that point. The win next week was more of a relief to me after the trauma of 98. The 96 flag and celebrations were sensational.

Yeah, i get what you mean, but Dogs had a lot of problems contending with the Melbourne ball movement for the vast majority of the game. When you move the ball quickly it is harder to defend against.

Petracca had 21 kicks at 71.4% kicking efficiency, had 896m gained, 9 clearances from stoppages, those are massive numbers.

Bont had 13 kicks at 69.2% kicking efficiency, had 473m gained and 5 clearances.

Daniels and Salem are similar players, Salem had 22 kicks, 95.5% KE, 639m gained whilst Daniels had 26 kicks, 57.7% KE, 631m gained.

I think the Dees just in general moved the ball too quickly, and too accurately, for the Dogs to mount much of a defence. Dogs had 5 goal assists for their 10 goals, Melbourne had 18 GAs for their 21 goals.

I think Salem plays a lot like Daniels, both clubs used them in a similar manner. Salem had a lot more/better support today though.

A lot better than 98, not as good as 96.

TBH 70s was a lot better than the 90s, that team in the late 70s was insanely good.

Back