Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Lever cost them 2 1st rounders and may another top 10. Whilst I agree with the notion there is no substitute for top end picks, melbourne did make some bold plays in the last few years using their draft capital and it paid off. A proper list build combines good drafting with all of the other levers they can pull

Levers or Mays they can pull

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lever cost them 2 1st rounders and may another top 10. Whilst I agree with the notion there is no substitute for top end picks, melbourne did make some bold plays in the last few years using their draft capital and it paid off. A proper list build combines good drafting with all of the other levers they can pull

Josh Mahoney is the one that hasn’t got his kudos for this list build. The brain behind a lot of these big decisions. Scary to think he’s now at the scum…

Identified their need & targeted genuine stars, as well as some real quality role players. If we can trade for players of the Lever/May quality over the next few years, go for it. I suppose the critical part is timing, this isn’t the year.

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can we please stop talking about guys who aren’t best 22 at their club. There’s litreally not one guy playing tonight who came from a club where he wasn’t getting a game
Hannen and Duryea were both fringe. It's easy to say they were s**t tonight but Duryea played a big part in stopping Cameron and winning them the game. Hannen blew up Port early. Sometimes all a player needs is a new start and/or a chance.

Probably not but here's hoping Collingwood are still in turmoil and have salary issues. Moore prob in the top 3 for MVPs in the comp when he's up and firing imo. I'd have no qualms about throwing a million at him. Free agent - even better.

The thought of him, mckay, and Corr playing together...

Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Salem is a good example of a player that can take time to get it, and then once he did he became a star. We have a couple of players that might be able to do that and it can make or break the total team cohesion

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

he’s gone from flakey outside podgy boy to aggressive driving quarterback.

laid two massive tackles one at the start of this final and another on danger that made me go who the * was that

The really encouraging thing about this is we are following the Dees list build model.

You use your top end draft picks on gun midfielders (have a very high strike rate compared to talls).

You then trade/use free agency to bring in talls to slot into certain roles.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The really encouraging thing about this is we are following the Dees list build model.

You use your top end draft picks on gun midfielders (have a very high strike rate compared to talls).

You then trade/use free agency to bring in talls to slot into certain roles.

To an extent.

They still drafted Gawn, Jackson, McDonald, Frisch and Petty.

Lever and May get credited with a lot, but Gawn is as important as either of them.

The first years AA ruck to win a flag since Cox in 15 odd years ago.

To an extent.

They still drafted Gawn, Jackson, McDonald, Frisch and Petty.

Lever and May get credited with a lot, but Gawn is as important as either of them.

The first years AA ruck to win a flag since Cox in 15 odd years ago.

The only one taken high in the draft.

We also drafted Nick Larkey, it doesn't discount my point.

The point is they used high end picks on the likes of Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, all mids whom played vital roles yesterday.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only one taken high in the draft.

We also drafted Nick Larkey, it doesn't discount my point.

The point is they used high end picks on the likes of Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, all mids whom played vital roles yesterday.

Yep. I think just consistently good drafting trumps all strategies.

They had some absolute shockers in the Morton, Gysberts era and have literally had 15 incarnations of a rebuild, but they have had very few misses in the last 6-7 years (at any pick) that sort of pressure on performance starts to add up and enables you to go to the trade table.

We really can’t afford to keep burning second rounders like we have in the last decade.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully last night puts an end to the thoughts of using high picks on small forwards. 2 gems out there last night, in Weightman and Picket, 11 touches between them 0 score.

Not a position to waste a good pick on!
yet bowey hasn't lost a game in melbourne colours.
something might be said for caleb daniel like small defenders.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
We really can’t afford to keep burning second rounders like we have in the last decade.

This.

In 10 years iirc we've had 4 players taken in the 2nd-4th rounds crack 50 games.

Mason Wood, Ben Jacobs, Trent Dumont, Ben Brown.

Absolutely shocking return.

The Will Walker pick is the hindsight nightmare that keeps on giving too unfortunately.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Hopefully last night puts an end to the thoughts of using high picks on small forwards. 2 gems out there last night, in Weightman and Picket, 11 touches between them 0 score.

Not that simple. The implied pressure from quality small forwards still makes defences jittery.

When we didn't have Garner or Zurhaar forward (let alone a genuine productive small down there) opposition defences were free to switch and setup as they like.

The Dogs also wouldn't have won their first final without Weightman

This.

In 10 years iirc we've had 4 players taken in the 2nd-4th rounds crack 50 games.

Mason Wood, Ben Jacobs, Trent Dumont, Ben Brown.

Absolutely shocking return.

The Will Walker pick is the hindsight nightmare that keeps on giving too unfortunately.

We should have known Will would get injured and we'd botch his surgery?

He showed plenty to justify where he was picked when on the park.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
We should have known Will would get injured and we'd botch his surgery?

He showed plenty to justify where he was picked when on the park.

Don't be silly. I qualified it with 'hindsight.

He looked really promising I'm angry at fate on this one (and our DH S&C crew).

hoffseason gains

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The thing with drafting small forwards in the first round is that it needs to be when you have little to no other needs to fill.

When Weightman and Pickett were drafted, neither team needed midfielders obviously and both had gotten in key position players through free agency/trade (Keath & Bruce) (May, Lever & Tomlinson).

Small forward I think is the position most reliant on a good team around them to perform well. For every Kozzy Pickett or Weightman, there’s a Jarrod Pickett or Jarrod Garlett or even Rankine who has had good games and obviously has the talent but can’t produce that consistently when Gold Coast are so bad.

When that is the case, it gives much less incentive to draft a small forward early even if they’re genuinely special because you don’t normally reap the rewards until the team is good. Small forwards can be found later in the draft, and it makes more sense for us now to try to find one there than anywhere else.

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not that simple. The implied pressure from quality small forwards still makes defences jittery.

When we didn't have Garner or Zurhaar forward (let alone a genuine productive small down there) opposition defences were free to switch and setup as they like.
Exactly. The pressure all over the field had the dogs shitting bricks. Whenever a long kick or chaos ball went into the forward 50 pickett and spargo were sweating on them. It's that sort of pressure that allowed others to capitalise. Duryea, wood, keith, and williams weren't the only one's panicking...I was worried for them through my tv screen.

Weightman didn't have a good night but he's a gem imo. A hard matchup. Teams are going to need to play Scotty Thompson types on him because of his aerial ability.

Spicer alone isn't enough. We need a fleet of nippy little buggers snapping at heels ready to pounce.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lot has been said about the Dees list build, but the dogs has also been good.

- Both sides used real pointy picks on mids, which created a foundation of competition star mids (Trac, Oliver, Brayshaw, Bont, Macrae, Smith).
- Both sides have brought in an early pick KPP once the mid is established (Jackson, Naughton).
- Both sides used a first rounder on a elite small forward (Weightman, Pickett).
- Both sides have nailed their second & third round picks (Rivers, Fritsch, Dale, Daniel to name a few but there are quite a few more).

Then in regards to trading:
- Both sides addressed their KPD stocks via trading (May, Lever, Keath, Gardner).
- The dees were very specific with their trading for KPDs & paid what many thought was “overs” for exactly what they wanted, you could argue that this is why their back 6 is stronger then the Dogs who didn’t pay a premium for theirs.
- The Dees trade for Langdon has proved to be a master stroke & the Brown trade was very smart in a role that they needed.
- Dogs lucked out with the Collingwood mess by netting Treloar.

We have a few years to go…

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For the love of pizza, pls draft Horne... we are desperate for that type of player... tonight's game shows we need him!!
May I use “for the love of pizza”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back